First Ride - Am I trying to do too much?

a900ss
a900ss Posts: 91
edited January 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Guys,

I am waiting for a delivery of cycle lights then I plan to go out for the first time on my bike. I haven’t ridden for about 15 years and probably taken no real exercise in that time either!!!!

I’m 38, 6’ and 17 stone. I have looked for an ‘easy’ circuit from my house to bed me in a bit and start me off. You guys will probably laugh but I don’t know if my circuit is too much for me and I’d appreciate your comments. It is a circuit, fully on small country lanes, of 6.3 miles. Mostly flat but some minor inclines and declines.

Is appropriate for a first time ride or too much (or not enough but I doubt that)? Also, how long would a ‘normal’ rider do 6.3 miles in and how long do you think an unfit person would take?

Thanks
2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
Diet started 1/1/2010

Comments

• Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Well I'm no expert but I've only been back on my bike since July last year after about the same amount of time and I weigh about the same.

I wouldn't focus on how long it takes people to do that kind of distance. Some folks can probably do it in a space of time that makes me want to throw up just thinking about! I'd suggest just getting out and trying it, see how you get on. I think it's a decent distance to start with, you'll soon work out what your body thinks is a good ride.

It takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to work depending on traffic and the wind and that's about 4.5 miles. I'm fairly unfit and somewhat lardy.

Get ready for wobbly legs for the first few days :D
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Well... it's a matter of how hard you wanna go.

If you can manage the route alright, then it is fine. I have a route that I used when I cycled when I was 12 - and I was not very fit. I would feel quite tired/light at the end of it. Then when I was swimming competitively (training about 18-20 hours a week) I [very] occasionally had time to cycle ( in the summer mainly) and I would be similarly tired at the end of the route - I just went faster. :p

So I guess as long as you are not fainting, it should be alright.

:P
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    What are you classing as small lanes ? Tarmac ? gravelly stuff/dirt ?

6 miles is about right for a tarmac for your first pop out...

might be a bit much if on dirt though.
  • a900ss
    Tarmac
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
    Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    a900ss wrote:
    Tarmac

don't try too hard a gear, keep it light...

breathe :)
  • I'd say just take it easy and see how you feel as you're going round.

You might find it useful / fun to get a computer for your bike to let you know how far / fast you've gone, you can pick up a good one for next to nothing (cateye have done me proud over the years). After each ride note down your stats and you'll be able to track your improvements over time too. If weight loss is the goal I'd also record your weight too.

Once you've got a benchmark time for your circuit then you can start setting yourself targets or trying to improve aspects of your fitness if that sort of thing is your bag.
  • a900ss
    GF,

I've actually gone a step further than that and got a computer/heart rate monitor. I do want to improve my fitness and I think I can only do this if I know how I'm tracking.

Good comments about tracking improvements. I am a competitive sort and this is the sort of thing that will motivate me.

Thanks all.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • No worries dude.

I've taken to logging the miles I've done recently not because I'm competetive but because I'm geeky and it'll make a nice graph by the end of the year :lol:

I may start logging my weight too, that was a good idea!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    edited January 2010
    the trick is to not let the inevitable difficult start put you off, just keep at it and you'll quickly notice improvements. its pretty remarkable how quick a decent level of fitness can return so long as it is something done regularly.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Forget about time and just ride the route. If it takes you 2 hours so be it just enjoy the ride, get used to the gears and brakes again. If you turn it into a test of your endurance each ride you'll quit.
    Once you have managed the route a couple of times and don't feel like you'll die at the end of it start varying the ride, speeding up on the inclines then maintaining it when you reach the top. Also start looking for new routes to stop you getting bored when you start to venture of the tarmac build up your skills and confidence on the bike before trying too hard.
    Again if you enjoy doing it you'll want to find excuses to go for ride than avoid one.
  • Recovery times get a lot longer as you get older. You can go out and hammer the miles, but you could be feeling it for 2 weeks afterwards. 6 miles shouldn't be a problem though, just take it easy and cruise round at your own pace. Then next time, do the extra mile, and so on.

Just takes a bit of easing into it, unlike when you're 15 and you can knacker yourself one day and feel fresh as a daisy the next.
  • a900ss
    edited January 2010
    Hi guys,

I'm the OP and just giving feedback for all those that gave me advice, thanks.

Well I've had my bike 2 weekends now and I've done 77 miles on it which I think is a great start.

The circuit should be 6.3 miles but I take a small cut through redcing it to 5.5 miles. However on my first circuit round I felt OK so I carried on and did 2 circuits and I 've been doing that ever since, so each double circuit is 11 miles. I'be now done that 7 time (the 8th is planned for this morning)

So, my first double circuit was 1hr 20 (no stopping just slow). The double circuit that I did yesterday was 1hr 12 so I'm happy with that.

Thanks all.

a900ss
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Well done keep it going!!

By the looks of your ticker you're saying you've lost 15lbs in less than a month??

If so that is amazing work and you should be extremely proud of yourself!
    Don't let plataeu's take the wind out of your sails........ keep on trucking!!! :D
    It's been a while...
  • a900ss
    BUt that is also cutting out most booze and 'carp' calories (chocolate, coke, etc). That isn;t sustainable but it's to give me a quick boost for the first 6-8 weeks of my diet. I'm now eating a lot more fresh veg, fruit and fish.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Yeah cut out the crap and it makes a big difference!

I noticed that when I cut out practically all crisps, chocolate, cakes and booze.....

But remember all work and no play.......
    You can have a little treat, just make sure they are every now and again, not all the time ;)
    It's been a while...
  • Valy
    Graydawg wrote:
    Yeah cut out the crap and it makes a big difference!

I noticed that when I cut out practically all crisps, chocolate, cakes and booze.....

But remember all work and no play.......
    You can have a little treat, just make sure they are every now and again, not all the time ;)
    Or you could just ride 24/7 and as much as you want. :lol:

OP - what is your average heart rate during the rides?
  • a900ss
    Valy wrote:

Too high in my opinion - the average over 11 miles isnoramlly around 79% of my max HR according to my polar, hits a high of around 85/86% on steeper hills

MY HR average is quite constant after all the trips around 79% but time's are getting quicker. Wonder if I'm better off keepng a similar time but not pushing myself as hard and lowering my average HR?
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • Valy
    a900ss wrote:
    Valy wrote:

Too high in my opinion - the average over 11 miles isnoramlly around 79% of my max HR according to my polar, hits a high of around 85/86% on steeper hills

MY HR average is quite constant after all the trips around 79% but time's are getting quicker. Wonder if I'm better off keepng a similar time but not pushing myself as hard and lowering my average HR?

I see, though it would help if you said it in actual BPM. :P As far as keeping the time the same and going for a lower avg HR - that would just decrease the intensity - so it would not be as "calorie burning" nor would it increase your fitness as much.