First Ride Fixed

Skippy2309
Skippy2309 Posts: 426
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I kinda crazily spun the wheel over last night from the freewheel to the fixed side.... my commute was this morning at 6am, having never rode fixed before.....

must say it was an interesting experience, especially when you try to stop and pop up off the seat :lol: 4-5 miles each way. the way theres all uphill - way home down hill, was easy to get to work other than the silly popping up off the saddle when I forgot to keep pedalling. way home was the most fun I think i have ever had on a bike :) controlling the speed on the descent was such a weird but exciting feeling even slowing to a stop at one point. need to get myself clips as I lost the pedals at one point and watching them spin round inches from my legs was not pleasant.

everyone should ride fixed it makes for a much more interesting ride to work :D

for a first ever ride fixed it was good fun, I think everyone should try it :twisted:
FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    nice one... yes you do need clips it just makes it easier
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • CTank
    CTank Posts: 46
    Took my fixed out for the first time on Sunday, just around my local streets. I didn't have the nerve to do my first ride as a commute, so respect!

It is odd trying to remember to keep pedalling, I guess the turning point comes when you no longer need to think about it.

My next challenge is to commute (15 miles each way), and I'm looking forward to it, although apprehensive about rush hour traffic.

Have to return the pedals first, which is a pain, as one was faulty.
  • I think it was just pure stupidity on my part, but its damn fun :D

ordered pedals and clips today hopefully they will be here tomorrow morning or wednesday. I got straps that I am going to slap on tomorrow to make it a little safer so i have less moments where my feet are not touching pedals lol

CTank just go for it mate, you will not regret it, its good on the long downhill sections as you can slow yourself to maintain a nice speed or just relax and you will spin like a demon :twisted:

• I immediately rode fixed when I first got my bike cos the guys in Pearson said if you didn't everyone would point at you and say mean things... I kept this up for a week, flipped over to the free wheel, and have never looked back. I only flip it to fixed when I take the bike back for a service :oops:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Always rode fixed from day one - went fixed/fixed on the hub. First ride was a bit scarey, as I'd picked a 2 mile descent into the loop......hadn't got used to spinning that quick.... Settled down with it after a week. Been fixed since May09

Went out training on Sunday, crossed paths with a guy out on his Felt, both doing same loop so tagged together.

He was on 63" single speed, me 74" fixed. Ended up agreeing to go up the Wizard (Alderley Edge) on 74"....... made it, 38 rpm wasn't too much fun, but the knees didn't pop, nor the hamstrings snap.....bit like riding a 1 in 4 on a 39 x 21 really. :shock:
  • I have been riding a 70.9" and a 79" fixed but will soon have a 98", unsure which is better but I will soon have a nice top end speed, I am sure I can get faster than the predicted 34mph at 120rpm... fasted I have got my legs going is 180rpm (on a gym bke), I just hope I am as strong as I think I am to actually push such a huge gear... plus i got a decent hill on the way to work.... oh well I will let everyone know how I get on when it arrives :D

hopefully my tree trunks will come in handy, cant be harder than a 220kg squat :P

• Skippy2309 wrote:
    I have been riding a 70.9" and a 79" fixed but will soon have a 98", unsure which is better but I will soon have a nice top end speed, I am sure I can get faster than the predicted 34mph at 120rpm... fasted I have got my legs going is 180rpm (on a gym bke), I just hope I am as strong as I think I am to actually push such a huge gear... plus i got a decent hill on the way to work.... oh well I will let everyone know how I get on when it arrives :D

hopefully my tree trunks will come in handy, cant be harder than a 220kg squat :P

Big gears are fun once you get them rolling, alas in London the traffic lights and such mean you'll lose overall speed due to the acceleration, or lack thereof.

I went from 94" to 88", and probably wouldn't go back, but each to their own.
  • damn LiT you must of been flying with that gearing, I remember seeing you go through shepherds bush do you take on the hill towards marble arch or take the road to Earls court, my old route was up that hill, now i am going the earls court way. I dont fancy attempting going up the hill with a heavy gearing as its lights the entire way!!!

I am sure I can keep myself going at speed once moving, its the stopping i am worried about lol

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I rode fixed once, WTF was that all about, i'll leave the fixed riding to the hipsters and track riders thanks very much, i'm way too old for those shenanigans.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:
    I rode fixed once, WTF was that all about, i'll leave the fixed riding to the hipsters and track riders thanks very much, i'm way too old for those shenanigans.
    <*Cough*>wuss<*cough*>

You've only just turned 40, havn't you ITB?

I only started riding fixed a few years back (I'm 45, BTW) and havn't looked back. I suspect it may be some sort of mid-life-crisis thing... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Skippy2309 wrote:
    damn LiT you must of been flying with that gearing, I remember seeing you go through shepherds bush do you take on the hill towards marble arch or take the road to Earls court, my old route was up that hill, now i am going the earls court way. I dont fancy attempting going up the hill with a heavy gearing as its lights the entire way!!!

I am sure I can keep myself going at speed once moving, its the stopping i am worried about lol

I used to alternate, hill one day, flat the next. Now, when I'm in London, I have to go up the hill.

It's really not that bad - if you can't make it up there you need a lighter gear - not all of london is pancake-flat!
  • Yeah i know what you mean, there is always another route in london tho :D

the way I go at the moment I have a choice of using the uxbridge road or a back road. Uxbridge road is nigh on level compared to the back road... as you can guess I always take the back road :P

No mid life crisis here, (only 23) not a hipster either, just wanted something fast and that looks good. I honestly cant afford a full blown road bike, had a bit of finance issues, company I was contracting for screwed me over and ended up taking a lot of money and are still after more money :evil: so I got myself a very very very nice fixed/ss bike, the mongoose maurice. Already replaced the brown saddle (a heavily padded Charge spoon) with a black and orange Charge spoon, and going to replace the grips with matching ones :D

Fixed is the way forward especially for the commute, I have noticed a change since yesterday today I am riding much much smoother no popping up off the saddle and i am controlling my speed much better, only touched the brake once on the way home which is all downhill... the job interview on thursday may change that tho as they got a cycle scheme and may get a proper road bike :twisted:

• itboffin wrote:
    <*Cough*>wuss<*cough*>

I only started riding fixed a few years back (I'm 45, BTW) and havn't looked back. I suspect it may be some sort of mid-life-crisis thing... :-)

Cheers,
    W.

That's not a mid life crisis. This might be....

Ferrari_458_Italia.jpg
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:
    <*Cough*>wuss<*cough*>

Cheers,
    W.

That's not a mid life crisis. This might be....

<Picture of red Fiat removed>

Hah! I had a 911 (It's like a Beetle, but better...) a few years back... great car... don't fancy anything built by Italian engineers, though... Give me British or German machinery every time :-)
    ..and yes, that applies to bicycles, too (with the addition of some US made stuff). I've got the odd Campy component on my bikes but I have to admit I don't hanker after Bianchis, Pinarellos etc... I'd rather have a nice Dave Yates or Mercian or ...

Cheers,
    W.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Must try the Pearson fixed... Using my fancy new FixedGears android app* a 48x16 gives me a GI of 79. A bit spinny in London.

* I let my inner geek run free last week
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:
    Must try the Pearson fixed... Using my fancy new FixedGears android app* a 48x16 gives me a GI of 79. A bit spinny in London.

You want 50x16 innit.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    <*Cough*>wuss<*cough*>

Cheers,
    W.

You know where I live, try that fixed everyday, see how long it takes before something pops
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    JonGinge wrote:

You want 50x16 innit.

i've got 51x18 for day to day, and 51x15 on the other side for when i want to go fast :)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • I am going to be running a 48x13 when the sprocket arrives :P and possibly in the summer running a 52 up front as well :twisted:

I think a 13 and a 16 on the rear covers all the bases small for fast stuff, big for the hilly stuff... if I cant get up the hill it means I am not trying hard enough :P

what bars do you guys use? at the moment I got risers (they came standard) I am thinking of maybe switching for drops or for bull horns, i am leaning more towards the later as i think they will be nicer for day to day uses as well as for getting that aero shape for SPEED :twisted:

• itboffin
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

You want 50x16 innit.

i've got 51x18 for day to day, and 51x15 on the other side for when i want to go fast :)

Anyone else have visions of you stopping to swap the wheel over amidst a gaggle of SCRers :lol:
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    itboffin wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    You want 50x16 innit.

Anyone else have visions of you stopping to swap the wheel over amidst a gaggle of SCRers :lol:

Some of the lights in London do take a while to change....
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)