Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm so proud :oops:
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Dreadful stuff - cheap and nasty. It is clearly targeted at the market they serve - making profit from vandalism and misery. Well done to the Monks of Buckfast Abbey.

-Spider-
  • Thing I don't get is that it's not actually THAT cheap. I seem to recall the good people of http://www.trampjuice.tk/ not even giving it a rating as it was about three times the price of proper tramp juice.

I think it's a west of Scotland thing, really.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    What does it actually taste like?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    -spider- wrote:
    Dreadful stuff - cheap and nasty. It is clearly targeted at the market they serve - making profit from vandalism and misery. Well done to the Monks of Buckfast Abbey.

Its not that cheap, a bottle costs 6 or 7 quid, when you could get a nice bottle of red for a fiver.

It does taste foul though. About 10% of the worldwide sales of the stuff are in North Lanarkshire, where it is referred to as "Coatbridge Table Wine"

It will be interesting to watch this tonight.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Wallace1492
    Sewinman wrote:

Buckfast - Tasting Notes
    A fortified tonic wine, made by the monks of Buckfast Abbey.
    It has the dark appearance of blood, funny that as a lot of drinkers injur others.
    It has a rich, elegent bouquet, in contrast to the skint neds who drink it.

Imagine, dettol mixed with cough medicine, add a bag of sugar and a high alcohol content.
    There you have it!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Sewinman wrote:

Imagine, dettol mixed with cough medicine, add a bag of sugar and a high alcohol content.
    There you have it!

Yummy, where can I get some down here?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    prawny wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

There you have it!

Hijack a lorry load - there'll be plenty heading past your way for the border and a hijacking seems in the spirit of the product :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wallace1492
    Rolf F wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

There you have it!

Hijack a lorry load - there'll be plenty heading past your way for the border and a hijacking seems in the spirit of the product :lol:

Buckie lorry heading north:

BuckyinthetankO.jpg
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Bizarrely I really like that photo. I might set it as the screen saver on my phone.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Sewinman wrote:

Yup cough medicine, treacle, cold coffee (cheap instant) topped off with a liberal amount of meths

Boggin! As the drinkers would say.

Wean these kids off it and onto Maddog 20/20 and Thunderbird like I drank as a 14 year old.

Buckie is too expensive for the neds round here, they drink White Lightning, £2 for 3l.
  • Wallace1492
    prawny wrote:
    Bizarrely I really like that photo. I might set it as the screen saver on my phone.

I like the plate below the regi - B.T.W. 5. There must be a whole fleet of Buckfast Tonic Wine lorries plying their trade up and down the motorways of Britain. Would it not be better to lay a pipeline direct from the Abbey to North Lanarkshire?

One of my favourite stories is from a few years ago, the local MP urged the monks to cut the supply to ease the suffering of her constituants. On attending a meeting in Airdrie she was met by a couple of neds with posters saying "Don't Ban Buckie". Nothing happened except the publicity sent Buckfast sales soaring.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I've actually been to the Abbey, when I was younger on a family holiday we went. Up until then I didn't realise Buckie was made by monks.

I do remember though that even though the place was really busy the monks (in the shop) still took the time to be pleasant to people and thank them.