Col du Galibier - which way and when is it open?

Cumulonimbus
Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
Hi there

I am planning a trip to the Alps and Pyrenees ithis summer including the Galibier. Does anyone know when it opens? I have had a look on online and found dates ranging from late May to late June. I know that snow depth and current weather will determine the exact date and that this will vary from year to year, but i was just wondering if anyone knew of the dates in recent years? Our plan is to go in early June due to having a lot of things on in the weeks after that and then not wanting to be in the busier times of mid-summer.

Also, does anyone know which side is counted as the better/more challenging climb? I know that they are both a long way and a lot of vertical ascent but does one stand out more than the other?

Comments

• The northern approach is generally considered the hardest but neither side is easy. I was there in the first week of June in 2006 and it didn't open until the following week. I drove over the Lauteret at Christmas and the snow was 6 feet deep at the top - and a lot more has fallen since. I wouldn't count on it being open before mid-June.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I find the side from the Telegraphe is harder, partly because the Telegraph is harder than the Lautaret so the road to get there is hard.

As said, it takes time for the road to open and remember that just because the road is open does not mean it is ideal, you will find melting snow, sheets of ice (melting water freezes back overnight) and a generally poor road surface.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Thanks for the info.

I'm also going out to do the Alp Duez and hopefully the Galibier in late June. Never been out that way before so looking forward to it. Last year I did the Joux Plane and Colombiere for the first time.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    only done this one side from the Lautaret which I think is considered the easier side but I still had a few stops and found it very tough.

Got to the top and it started raining so had my first alpine decent in the rain!!

Plan to go back and do this from the other side later this year
  • sampras38
    sherer wrote:
    only done this one side from the Lautaret which I think is considered the easier side but I still had a few stops and found it very tough.

Got to the top and it started raining so had my first alpine decent in the rain!!

Have you ever done the Joux Plane?
  • sherer
    sampras38 wrote:
    sherer wrote:

not yet last year was my first trip and I found out I hadn't trained enough.

I did the Lauteret and Galibier on one day but I was staying half way up the Lauteret.

A few days later I entered a sportive and did Alpe de Grand Serra and Col D'Ornon but walked a lot of the later on a day that was hotter than hell.

Hope I can stay a week this year and do some proper riding but unlike last year have a better training programme before I go
  • sampras38
    sherer wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    sherer wrote:

not yet last year was my first trip and I found out I hadn't trained enough.

I did the Lauteret and Galibier on one day but I was staying half way up the Lauteret.

A few days later I entered a sportive and did Alpe de Grand Serra and Col D'Ornon but walked a lot of the later on a day that was hotter than hell.

Hope I can stay a week this year and do some proper riding but unlike last year have a better training programme before I go

Nice one

Last year I stayed in Samoens and we were about a 2 min ride to the bottom of the Joux Plane so ended up doing it a few times. Took me about an hour or so and the last time we ended up racing a couple of french riders. Some incredible views of the mountains around there.
  • sherer
    may have to add that mountain to the list of ones I want to climb.

What is the climb like and how long is it ?

Still need to get my training sorted only done about 20 miles on the turbo so far this year
  • sampras38
    sherer wrote:
    may have to add that mountain to the list of ones I want to climb.

What is the climb like and how long is it ?

Still need to get my training sorted only done about 20 miles on the turbo so far this year

It was hard the first time but not as hard as I was expecting. I guess it comes down to what you're used to or your level of fitness. I'd done quite a lot of climbing before the trip so it was fine. Around 13km from top to bottom with an average gradient of around 8 or 9%. Lots of bends and beautiful views. 1700 metres high.

And also it depends on how fast you want to go up. The first time I did it was really casual, just to get a feel. The 2nd was pushing harder to see what I could do, the 3rd was harder still and ended up racing a mate up it. We then went over the other sise into Morzone and then another climb of about an hour up into Avoriaz.

It was the climb that Landis had his miraculous recovery on before he won the TDF and got banned.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    sampras38 wrote:
    Last year I stayed in Samoens and we were about a 2 min ride to the bottom of the Joux Plane so ended up doing it a few times. Took me about an hour or so and the last time we ended up racing a couple of french riders. Some incredible views of the mountains around there.
    Yes, for me it is the best part of the Alps. The Galibier is good but a bit desolate at times and the Lautaret is an important road between Italy and France, it's busy, even with articulated trucks from time to time. The Joux Plane probably has a tractor, a postman and a few locals each day :lol:
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Thanks for the replies guys :D Pretty much confirms what i was thinking. The tour couldnt make it over due to fresh snow in 1996 so even when its been open for the season there's no guarantee that it will be open on any particular day
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    last time I went up the Galibier was in July 2007 (first week)and the road to the summit from the tunnel was closed due to snow and not a small amount as someone I was with attempted to ride up there - they didn't get much further. To put it into perspective, we went thro' the tunnel and on to Alpe d'Huez where it was approx. 28 deg C at the foot of the climb
    M.Rushton
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    I rode it in mid June 08, Pic below, it was open but still snowy at top.

July '08 also no snow at all, June '06 a little and July '07 no snow. Really depends on late spring season conditions and can also open then shut again.

I'd say in May you are dicing it massively, have a back-up. June is 60/40 and July fine (apart from '96 !).

See http://www.grenoblecycling.com/ Russell can help, he'll know when it opens and they usually have a road gap competition above Valloire around that time, see here http://sports.webshots.com/album/172486058rZkTYd

Also, this site can help with pass status http://www.alpineroads.com/passstatus.php

4291260346_3e317fc12b.jpg
  • Hondated
    Hondated Posts: 136
    Cumulonimbus I did the lauret side of the Galibier and I rode up from Briacon where I was staying and found it a tough climb.I stopped many times but I never walked one part of it.Weight and age certainly are not an asset when it comes to climbing mountains.
    But in previous years I have stayed at the bottom of Alpe Du Hez and climbed that several times. Not non stop again.But the hardest ride I have had so far is cycling from Borg ouisan over to the Croix De Fer. It took me two years to complete because the first time I just had to turn back but when I got there and took the picture of mt bike under the "coathanger" it was all worthwhile.
    If you want to make it a little easier you could stop at The Glandon but why do that when with just a little more effort you could get up to Croix De Fer.

When I get my act together I need to get down to the Holy Graik The Ventoux. Perhaps it will be a present to myself next year when I am 60.

Whatever you do enjoy yourself.
    hondated
  • MarjMJ
    MarjMJ Posts: 35
    Cumulonimbus
    would second what le patron says about the Grenoble cycling guy. He has got some lovely pix, and certainly I recall a blog of him riding up in May when he was behind them clearing the road...he gave up not want to be buried in a collapsed snowdrift!

Have sadly only ever driven over, but would agree that even in a car the Lauteret side is less fierce. Briancon side for an easy start perhaps? Good luck with it. It is a truly special place.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I've done both sides, the Telegraph side once on its own and once in the Marmotte. I'd say the Telegraph side is harder, even when done on its own. Also better as a climb, the comments about the Lauteret road being busy are very true, it is better as a descent.

The Telegraph side is certainly steeper. I would consider each climb as starting at the bottom, e.g. the Galibier as one big climb starting from Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne and incorporating the Telegraph. The other side from Bourg d'Oisans maybe, that is where I started anyway. The Lauteret side is very gentle indeed all the way from Bourg to the Lauteret although consequently it is very very long.
  • ... or you can drive to Val d'Aosta in Italy via the Mont Blanc tunnel...

Being south exposed, most of the climbs are open early... April for the lower ones (1600-1700 mt) and May for the 2000 mt+

http://ridewithugo.xtreemhost.com/
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    Would agree with comments so far - I rode the Marmotte last year and think the climb including the Telegraphe is tougher. The Lauteret is a shallow gradient but can be exposed and made unpleasant by wind and traffic - better for a descent!
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.f ... .TC55_05_M

This French site gives you all the information you as to when the passes open and close, do not expect the Galibier to open before mid June, even it it opens earlier, which I doubt, it will be very desolate up there should you puncture or have gear failure.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    I'll be going there in July and was wondering what kind of temperature would be at the top at that time of year ?
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • blorg
    Lazarus wrote:
    I'll be going there in July and was wondering what kind of temperature would be at the top at that time of year ?
    It's impossible to tell. I did the Marmotte start of July last year and descended the Galibier in shorts and short sleeves. I think it was around 21C on the top when I passed over, it was ~38C starting the Alpe an hour later at ~2000m down. A few minutes after I went over the Galibier there was a thunderstorm, temperatures plummeted and some friends behind reported being freezing. I was carrying knee warmers and a waterproof shell in case but didn't need to use them.

You need to carry at least a waterproof shell and knee warmers, more depending on the conditions. It really could be anything depending on the day. A rule of thumb is to subtract 8.5C for every 1,000m altitude.

My other trips up the Alps and Pyrenees in France have been September/October but I had ranges from 30+ to well under 0 there. Be prepared; I find a bar bag is good for stuffing thermals into.

We were up the Galibier in October after it technically closed and had to get newspapers in the cafe to stuff under our jerseys for the descent. Consider the wind effect on the descent, you can actually climb it in short sleeves without gloves even below 0 but then absolutlely freeze on the descent.

A gilet is another very good idea.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Thanks Blorg :)

I was pretty sure being prepared was the way to go and your post reassured me, will seriously look into a small bar bag.

Actually staying in Bourg-d'Osians so hopefully will bag Galibier when we get over there .
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • blorg
    Lazarus wrote:
    I was pretty sure being prepared was the way to go and your post reassured me, will seriously look into a small bar bag.
    See what it's like on the day, in July you could very probably fit arm warmers and a rainproof shell into your jersey pockets, might well be all you need. I used a bar bag when going up it in October but didn't in July. Bar bag will be added weight and the lighter ones can get in the way of your hands when climbing. Watch out for cows around the corners when descending.
  • All about the northern side. As you ride up to plan lachet it's pretty easy and you start thinking where does the climb go now? And then you see it zig zag up the sheer cliff to your right. Once you get to the topof that you can finally see the col itself but it's still miles away.

And don't underestimate the telegraph it's a hard climb in it''s own right.

If you're in the area the glandon and croix de fer are superb, stunning views and epic climbing