Mix and Match Cassette?

throberto
throberto Posts: 9
edited January 2010 in The workshop
I've recently replaced my Shimano 12-25 cassette with a Sram 11-28. I find I never use the 11 tooth sprocket and am missing the 16 tooth which I used quite a bit.

Is there anything to stop me making my own custom cassette out of the two so I have a 12-28 and keep my 16T? I've put such a cassette together so i know that physically it will go together and fit the wheel with the correct spacing but I notice that the teeth don't line up like they did on the original cassettes. Is that going to be a problem when it comes to changing gears? I don't want to knacker anything if this is a big no-no!

Thanks

Rob
FCN: 5

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mixing Sram and Shimano cogs is not a good idea as the shifting ramps are not in the same positions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    nicklouse wrote:
    mixing Sram and Shimano cogs is not a good idea as the shifting ramps are not in the same positions.

You won't knacker anything by giving it a spin though!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DesWeller wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

You won't knacker anything by giving it a spin though!

Yeah- it'll run fine when in gear, just might not shift as well as Shimano claim it should.

I've not used any fancy Shimano gearsets, so I don't know if this is a big deal. You can certainly live without it, but might prefer not to.

Cheers,
    W.