Bib Shorts

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I was cleaning out my cycle kit drawer and realsied that I now have about 3 pairs of bib shorts that are now "only in an emergency" type shorts because the pad has crumpled in them - they're next to useless.

So I surfed my way down to Wiggle and found that their cheaper stock is in a state of decimation.
DHB stuff is all out of stock in my size apart from the Finchdean which is their top end short.
Endura seem to have discontinued everything
Altura - I won't buy because nobody I know has had a good word to say about them.

I already have a couple of decent pairs of expensive bib shorts that I use on the weekends, so I don't want to get into the realms of Assos or Castelli for a pair of shorts that I'll pretty much only be commuting in.

I tried the Evans website with similar results.

Then I had a look at the Edinburgh Bike Co-op own brand ones (they also have the Endura in stock).

So, can anyone recommend these? Or should I go with the Endura that are supposed to be quite good if priceier. If not, recommendations for good quality cheap Bib shorts would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C8185

£20

Loads of stock, my Nephew happily uses them for long rides.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,952
    Hi Attica,

I was going to recommend these: http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=SHBSATG01&desc=SANTINI+TWIST+GEL+BIB+SHORTS

at the price I paid of £59.99, but at that price they are a bargain, I may even get another pair myself.

Prendas knock out the Santini twistgel bibs for £70 IIRC.

*I think 32 is large by the way - let me know if you want me to check when I get home (Or you could ring them I guess), I wanted medium, and had to send back to exchange.

They have blue and navy versions as well.

EDIT: They have the sizes next to the numbers on navy but not on black, which they don't have my size in anyway :?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Attica wrote:
    I was cleaning out my cycle kit drawer and realsied that I now have about 3 pairs of bib shorts that are now "only in an emergency" type shorts because the pad has crumpled in them - they're next to useless.

So I surfed my way down to Wiggle and found that their cheaper stock is in a state of decimation.
    DHB stuff is all out of stock in my size apart from the Finchdean which is their top end short.
    Endura seem to have discontinued everything
    Altura - I won't buy because nobody I know has had a good word to say about them.

I already have a couple of decent pairs of expensive bib shorts that I use on the weekends, so I don't want to get into the realms of Assos or Castelli for a pair of shorts that I'll pretty much only be commuting in.

I tried the Evans website with similar results.

Then I had a look at the Edinburgh Bike Co-op own brand ones (they also have the Endura in stock).

So, can anyone recommend these? Or should I go with the Endura that are supposed to be quite good if priceier. If not, recommendations for good quality cheap Bib shorts would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Endura make the stuff branded as EBCo-op.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've heard the altura progel shorts are good.

TBF I've heard more bad stuff about Endura than altura, but mainly on the MTB side. I've got some altura winter gloves which have been fantastic.

Try the giordana bib shorts, the pad is comfy and you can get them for about £25, the front doesn't come up too high though so you have to do some tucking. :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny

£20

I've got some of them, the pad has gone really thin in about 4 months regular use. They're not much good at all now.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • attica
    prawny wrote:

£20

I've got some of them, the pad has gone really thin in about 4 months regular use. They're not much good at all now.

+1 the old ones I want to throw out are Nalini.

Thanks for the advice so far folks, no clear winner as yet
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • prawny
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I've had three pairs of Endura shorts (FS360) and they're fine for commuting purposes.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    For goodness sake man, stop talking about shorts, it's winter :shock:

I've only recently bought a pair of the dhb merston tights, and I have to say they're lovely - comfy and toasty - I might even buy some more. Get a pair of them for £40 to keep you going till Spring :-) There'll be plenty of time to buy shorts before the weather warms up.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360045075/
    Misguided Idealist
  • attica
    For goodness sake man, stop talking about shorts, it's winter :shock:

I've only recently bought a pair of the dhb merston tights, and I have to say they're lovely - comfy and toasty - I might even buy some more. Get a pair of them for £40 to keep you going till Spring :-) There'll be plenty of time to buy shorts before the weather warms up.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360045075/

Tights without a pad - it's the future

I wear shorts all year round, but the tights go over the top of them, it's cheaper and means I get to have a clean chamios every day whilst only having the one or two pairs of tights
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • prawny
    Now is the best time to buy shorts, they'll be on offer.

Get tights in the spring :wink:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Evans' have all sizes of Endura FS260 except small @ £60 a pop - not a bargain maybe but really good shorts.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    Evans' have all sizes of Endura FS260 except small @ £60 a pop - not a bargain maybe but really good shorts.

+1
  • attica
    Evans' have all sizes of Endura FS260 except small @ £60 a pop - not a bargain maybe but really good shorts.

Disappointingly, they ONLY have the small
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/endura/fs260-bib-shorts-ec002082

PBK sale is mostly XXL or XXS stuff I'm afraid

Thanks for the suggestions so though
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    prawny wrote:

TBF I've heard more bad stuff about Endura than altura, but mainly on the MTB side. I've got some altura winter gloves which have been fantastic.

Try the giordana bib shorts, the pad is comfy and you can get them for about £25, the front doesn't come up too high though so you have to do some tucking. :?

Good god man, they come up to his belly button
    GIORZBBS200_1_large.jpg

There's no need to boast! :roll:

I just found these.

So are solid line above or below silverline in the Giordana range?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • prawny
    Attica wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Good god man, they come up to his belly button
    GIORZBBS200_1_large.jpg

There's no need to boast! :roll:

I just found these.

So are solid line above or below silverline in the Giordana range?

Solid<silverline<tenax<bodyclone I think.

The pad is the same up to at least body clone though, material and cut is different.

By tucking I meant behind the pad. Which is very, very, very small at the front :wink:(very)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017