Forum Weather Observations

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Seeing as none of the UK weather forecasters can get it right or even close, I thought it might be more useful if we post our own observations.

No point right now but I will post a actual observation from Wilts/Hants/Surrey/London during my commute tomorrow.

Er............! the local news tonight hinted that more SNOW is on the way next week :cry::cry::cry: I just hope they've gotten it wrong as usual.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• I was impressed that the BBC managed to get today right - mild, sunny, dry. And it was down my way. Cloudy and a wee bit cooler tomorrow - let's see if they're right.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I found metcheck was pretty accurate but it's coming up with an error now :(
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Snow mentioned for Brizzle for later in the week and tonight I've turned the heating off 2 hours ago and sat in a t-shirt tonight. Hope there isn't snow as I need to make up for lost days due to snow in the stats league.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    edited January 2010
    Wilts & Hants thick fog, visability down to just a few feet in places.

My two powerful lights might as well been candles for all the good they did me

edit: Surrey is grey and overcast but no fog. correction fog everywhere :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Same here too - can just make out a few golfers from where I'm sitting, so it can't be that bad, as I assume they'd be unable to find their balls as it were. More snow forecast here for Wed... really bored of snow :twisted:
  • Yeah - bit tired of metcheck - its been down since mid week last...

Foggy in the west earlier, clear in the centre - racetrack area.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    BBC was absolutely spot on all weekend.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Forward forecast.

Currently -2 and light snow on the west coast of Sweden, should be with you in the UK soon.

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,207
    The Beeb news just mentioned there is a chance of snow from Wednesday onwards - clearly hedging their bets after getting a bit of a slap on the wrist last week...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Heavy, wet snow / sleet here in OxBerkshire.
    Just starting to lie.
    Ar5e.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Left home in rain, arrived in Bracknell in Snow
  • itboffin
    Inch this morning and coming down heavy as I left home, this does not bode well :(
  • Dry but overcast in the west this morning. Nowt yet in the east either yet...
  • moist in very west london. can't see snow settling here.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    grey and overcast here in Devon. Pretty much like normal then.

Off to Surrey to meet the 'mother in law' on friday...I predict doom and gloom for the weekend :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Make sure you make a few waxed/shaved chest remarks and it'll go smoothly [no pun intended]
  • NGale
    Make sure you make a few waxed/shaved chest remarks and it'll go smoothly [no pun intended]

I'll just get the death glare for mentioning that in front of his mother. :lol:
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Guys
    Check out
    www.windguru.com
    Its usually pretty accurate, well for where I am anyway.
    Finished
  • NGale wrote:
    Make sure you make a few waxed/shaved chest remarks and it'll go smoothly [no pun intended]

No wonder he was in the armed forces with that handy self defence weapon :D Perhaps discussing his keen ladies underwear shopping skills would be easier/better...
  • NGale
    Nax-ian wrote:
    Guys
    Check out
    www.windguru.com
    Its usually pretty accurate, well for where I am anyway.

I use that one before going out on the water, very useful. The Met Office is still the most accurate for general weather and shipping forecasts though.
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:

No wonder he was in the armed forces with that handy self defence weapon :D Perhaps discussing his keen ladies underwear shopping skills would be easier/better...

As far as I know he has never brought ladies underwear :lol:
  • NGale wrote:
    NGale wrote:

and why does that stop you from discussing his habit of doing this with his mother? I will ignore that it says brought - as in to your house, just that he wore yours while there - as it is too easy a gag to make... :D
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:
    NGale wrote:

and why does that stop you from discussing his habit of doing this with his mother? I will ignore that it says brought - as in to your house, just that he wore yours while there - as it is too easy a gag to make... :D

I think his mother has already decided she dosen't like me. I'm a common, working class type :lol:

And if he was wearing my underwear, then good luck to him, my underwear drawer isn't a pretty sight. :lol::lol:
  • itboffin
    In the spirit of commuting you two are super off topic, chapeau :)
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    In the spirit of commuting you two are super off topic, chapeau :)

How it happened I dunno...twas his fault :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    Back on topic.

XC Weather promised 40mph crosswinds today and I thought better of the commute after last nights experiences.

Hardly a breath of wind today.

XC weather promises 40 mph winds for tomorrow.

I don't know who to believe anymore
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    Back on topic.

XC Weather promised 40mph crosswinds today and I thought better of the commute after last nights experiences.

Look out the window in the morning, all the partner before you head home
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    itboffin wrote:
    Back on topic.

Look out the window in the morning, all the partner before you head home

The morning leg isn't too bad as traffic is light at 7 am when I ditch the car and start cycling.

It's the night time leg which is the problem.

Riding with 60 mph traffic, in the dark, with a crosswind making it impossible to hold any sort of a line was geniuinely scary last night. Especially when HGVs flew past.

I ended up riding a combination of gravel strewn hard shoulder, pavement and grass verge.

I think the case for an MTB/CX is becoming irresistable
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Snow all day here - my fault for taking the knobblies off the commuter