In need of some encouragement!

Fat Bird
Fat Bird Posts: 23
edited March 2010 in Women
I started riding about a year ago. I was seriously over weight and I entered myself into Race the Sun in a bid to lose the flab. Thanks to the cycling by the time of the event in Sept 09 I'd lost nearly 3 stone and was only a couple of pounds off my ideal weight.
After the event I suffered from ITB sydrome in my right knee then to top it off I broke wrist! After four months (and an increase of 10lbs mainly round the waist & arse!) of no riding I've just this weekend got back on the bike and I can honestly say it nearly killed me. It's the first time that I really didn't enjoy it (don't suppose the 2ft deep mud, howling wind and horizontal rain helped!). The last thing I want is to be super fat bird again so I'm hoping that there maybe some riding buddies in the North Essex/South Suffolk area who would be up for the odd weekend rides?
Any takers?

Comments

• Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    good on ya for the weight loss and the want to get better!

look on singletrackworld,eppinghardcru and bikemagic too for riding buddies
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    think buns of steel and do some hip flexor stretches!

pm me if you want some.
  • Thanks for your replies guys
  • PamPen25
    PamPen25 Posts: 111
    I just started getting into off-track/single track riding (last few months) and I go with a bunch of guys, I'm always the last one down the hills as I don't have as much fearless riding in the mudding conditions as them, I'm going to get myself some knee and elbow pads to boost my confidence, as I'm fed up with the (light-hearted) taunts.

All I can say is, keep it up and you'll look back in a few months time and wonder what all the fuss was about.
  • Keep it up, do a few shorter rides to get back into it. You won't be able to just pick up where you left off, you'll have lost some fitness (and probably confidence) so take it easier to start with, build back up gradually and soon you'll be loving it again.

'fraid I'm not close enough to hook up for rides, but try a local bike club. When I first got into riding I found this a great way to find other people to ride with (other than my far more fit and competent boyfriend and his mates!). See if there are some easier rides and you might get a great confidence boost.

Enjoy.
  • great advice from others!! just take it easy and build it up. I started from a poor level of fitness have lost 2 stone so far, great to have target mine is end2end in iom.

To pampen25, I love downhill and the mud :D pads a good idea if help confidence also may stop funny looks when people see the bruises, my gp was horrified :roll: but also skills training may help if u haven't done so already only newbie myself done course 2 weeks ago which has helped loads now even faster :D However hills are another matter :oops: but they won't beat me!
  • PamPen25
    To pampen25, I love downhill and the mud :D pads a good idea if help confidence also may stop funny looks when people see the bruises, my gp was horrified :roll: but also skills training may help if u haven't done so already only newbie myself done course 2 weeks ago which has helped loads now even faster :D However hills are another matter :oops: but they won't beat me!

Thanks for the advice.

I've been looking into doing a course, I've heard they're really good. I'm not too sure about going on my own as there isn't any (decent ones) around where I live (North/west kent).

Any advice on good courses? :?
  • i did forest freeride was good :D Miss notax put post on forum, she is doing course with forest freeride july and was wondering whether anyone else was !! And somebody put similar thing in for march! read ladies only skills training thread!! Dirtdivas is in surrey they have good reports too!! No links as tecno phobic :oops:

I am in east kent visiting family at easter going to join a group at bedgebury trail centre for a saturday ride which is kent/sussex border!! Certainly couldn't find much information on mtb in east kent :cry:
  • PamPen25
    hearndenemma

I've heard of forest freeride on this site, some good reviews.

I was supposed to be going to Bedgebury in two weeks but I start a new job that week and I might not be able to make it.

July I might be able to do, I'll look into that.......Thanks :D
  • Hi Pampen25 and Heardenemma,

I think you are the same lady that I have already talked to on the Bedge forum heardenemma, going by the name emh, am I right? anyway Hi to you both!

I'm Ali the ladies rep at Bedgebury and i'm kicking myself that I haven't looked on this forum for a long time to see who's about.
    If your interested Pampen there is some ladies only courses going on at Bedgebury this May and June, one for beginners and another for intermediates, look on the website for more details:

http://www.boarsonbikes.co.uk/courses.html

lots of other adult and junior copurses happening as well this year, something for everyone! I will probably be on the intermediate ladies course this year, and I'm toying with the idea of the either the drop off or jump course, not sure yet!

Even if your not a member you can come along for a Saturday club ride to get aquainted, I'm usually there (mind you not this Sat) and its good to ride round with people who know the forest well, and it's a good fun too as everyone is really friendly with all levels of abilities riding. 10.00 start meeting at Quench cycles.

Ali.
    (BFCC ladies rep)
    What you give is what you get
  • yeah its me not very good with user names!!

Hope to meet you either the sat or wednesday (if i think i can keep up wed nite) easter week.

EMMA[/url]
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I always read that name as Hearnd Enema lol.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I used to live in Witham and Marks Tey, so know all the roads around you.

You've ALREADY got back on the bike, so your more than 1/2 way there!
    It's not Encouragement that you need, it's Perseverance.
    Keep at it, and bit-by-bit you'll improve.

Hey, I broke my femur riding 2 yrs ago, got attacked/chased by 4 different dogs on different occasions and got Psoas Tendinitis, then...4 weeks ago I slipped and put my head thro the upper oven door! 20 stiches in my forehead, look like Frankensteins monster now.

BUT...tomorrow, I'm doing a hard, cold, hilly road/quiet lanes ride for 2 hrs.

Just keep riding, and you'll enjoy it more as the Summer returns.
    Good luck!
  • PamPen25
    Thanks Ali,

Had a look, definately worth a look into, especially as a more local event to me.

Some good advice coming up, for sure!!!

:D

Cheers guys (Ladies, dudettes)