My Accident

maz19852008
maz19852008 Posts: 28
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Front chain ring damage after foot slipped off pedal, :)

what you think ?

accidenti.jpg
signaturepz.png
Southwestxc - The Riders Choice.
Local Rides In The South Of England.

Comments

• *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Ouch, I bet that smarted a bit !
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    Some TCP will fix that up in no time! :twisted:
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    One of the reasons I run a bashguard :)
  • very nice!, have a few scares just like this :D
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Just thank your lucky stars that wasn't your shin. Would be enough to make a grown man cry.
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    Ye i've had a couple of these. The one was when i was riding coast to coast, the chain ring was black with oil and dust and it all got clogged under the skin, i had to break the scab and work it out in the shower later...that hurt! :cry:

We can laugh about it now though :lol: Still got the scar though!
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    andituk wrote:

And the main reason I use SPD's !
    Just thank your lucky stars that wasn't your shin. Would be enough to make a grown man cry.

I can relate to that, although not bike related it did keep me out of the saddle for 7 months and why I'm lumbered with shin pads 99% of the time.

Shins are very fragile :cry:

Picture164-1.jpg
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    *yorkshire accent*
    Thats noothing!
    i had one not dismilar, got a lovely scar now, its the south wales young mtb'ers who all ride together's unoficial scar of the year 08,
    *end yorkshire accent*
    09 went to my mate who grazed his hip so badly it was still bleeding and seeping 3 weeks later!
    seriously though, thats nasty, the other one of the shin... well... all i can say is....
    OUCH!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Had several of these. I work in a bike shop, and have had the chainring in my hand while trying to remove a pedal thing before. That was really painful!
    The other one was going down some stairs and foot slipped of pedal...I finished the stairs with tears in my eyes, trying to see where I was going. Thank god I had crappy plastic pedals not something like V8's...
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • The other one was going down some stairs and foot slipped of pedal...I finished the stairs with tears in my eyes, trying to see where I was going. Thank god I had crappy plastic pedals not something like V8's...

Used to happen a lot on the BMX. Land wrong, toes slip off pedal, full weight on other pedal....arghhhhh! Skating you do it roughly every half hour, but usually with less severity. Then every now and again you get a corker. I've had to retire to the back seat of the car a few times. My shins are scars and lumps all the way down.

Back on topic to the original post, I once jumped down some stairs on a BMX, being egged on despite telling everyone my bike wasn't going to stand up to it. Crank snapped on landing and took a nasty chunk out of my calf.
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    One of the reasons I'm about to convert to a double and bash set-up. I feel your pain fella!!!!
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • i am now running with SPD's, not that i think it is much saver but it stops stuff like that happening lol..
    signaturepz.png
  • I slipped off flat pedals last year and took the stud right on the shin bone - I can see why the guy above had tears in his eyes. A lovely scab formed but 8 weeks later, it hadn't healed.

So one night I picked the scab and guess what - it wasn't a scab - it was a thin layer of pedal stuck right in my shin. It's now left a permament dimple.

So I now use 661 veggie shin guards.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • *AL* wrote:
    andituk wrote:

And the main reason I use SPD's !
    Just thank your lucky stars that wasn't your shin. Would be enough to make a grown man cry.

Believe me i nearly passed out when i done mine, best part is though my mate was riding behind me and saw me do it, lol.. he saw the blood squirting out my leg and he nearly throw up LOL

I can relate to that, although not bike related it did keep me out of the saddle for 7 months and why I'm lumbered with shin pads 99% of the time.

Shins are very fragile :cry:

Picture164-1.jpg

OMG That looks nasty mate, i can imagine you didnt ride for a fair time while that was healing.
    signaturepz.png
  • I slipped off flat pedals last year and took the stud right on the shin bone - I can see why the guy above had tears in his eyes. A lovely scab formed but 8 weeks later, it hadn't healed.

So one night I picked the scab and guess what - it wasn't a scab - it was a thin layer of pedal stuck right in my shin. It's now left a permament dimple.

So I now use 661 veggie shin guards.

you must have hit your shin pretty hard to have a piece of pedal left in there afterwards :S

i think i will invest in complete body armour, lol.. i know what i am like when it comes to accidents
    signaturepz.png
  • *AL* wrote:
    Ouch, I bet that smarted a bit !

Stil not healed up properly yet, dont that back in august lol
    signaturepz.png
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    Not saying that i haven't joined in but this is turning into a 'my injury's worse than yours discussion', i think we should have it as a running thing and have an injury of the month each month! I'd supply a reward... a big dolop of respect! :lol:
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • Matt N wrote:
    Not saying that i haven't joined in but this is turning into a 'my injury's worse than yours discussion', i think we should have it as a running thing and have an injury of the month each month! I'd supply a reward... a big dolop of respect! :lol:

LOL, i think injury of the month is a good idea :D hopefully though i wont be part of that one. dont want another one lol
    signaturepz.png
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Remember it well...... and taking the video haha.

Glad its getting there though mate. (ps didnt realise it was you in the last message i replied ot haha)

Get yourself on the SPD wagon... the pedals are free with an MBUK subs at the mo... or £20 through merlin cycles.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.