New Mike Rubbo film

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I wont stay long - a migraine is eating into my brain like a zombie plague in a nunnery... :oops:

I watched this last night, become quite a fan of Mike's little documentaries. He shows real pleasure that can be found in cycing and I know a few others of you have enjoyed his other films. I find myself wanting to buy a sit-up and beg after watching them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwxZmrJ8Nc

Notice the special cycle lights. This is kind f how I envisage traffic lights could be over here in the UK. We could even just add a simply green cycle-filter light to add a 5-10 second head start - I think this could kill of people's worries with HGVs and ASLs, knowing that the next green will be specifically for them and that if they did filter that they would not be caught out so easily if they're a little inexperienced.

I've spoken to Mike a couple of times on YT and he's a really nice bloke too. He definately deserves a bigger audience.

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    When you mentioned cycle light I remembered one I'd seen the other day. The strange thing is it was part of a pedestrian crossing. The little green cycle came up next to the green man. I just thought it was a bit strange since there is no cycle lane there, it's just a normal pavement.
  • downfader
    -null- wrote:
    When you mentioned cycle light I remembered one I'd seen the other day. The strange thing is it was part of a pedestrian crossing. The little green cycle came up next to the green man. I just thought it was a bit strange since there is no cycle lane there, it's just a normal pavement.

Toucan crossing lights over a shared facility? Thats where you tend to see them in the UK. Did have a couple of people shout nonsense at me when I first began using them. Quite funny
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    The cycle head-start traffic lights would be a great addition to the UK's roads.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    downfader wrote:
    -null- wrote:

Toucan crossing lights over a shared facility? Thats where you tend to see them in the UK. Did have a couple of people shout nonsense at me when I first began using them. Quite funny
    It doesn't seem to be a shared facility though. There isn't any cycle lane or half pedestrian / half cycle pavement. It's this bit of road here, just down from high road.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    We've a funky toucan crossing here - there are magnetic sensors in the pavement (similar to those for cars in the road itself) that press the button for you if you cycle up to them. Sensitive enough for a baby buggy to set it off too...
  • downfader
    g00se wrote:
    We've a funky toucan crossing here - there are magnetic sensors in the pavement (similar to those for cars in the road itself) that press the button for you if you cycle up to them. Sensitive enough for a baby buggy to set it off too...

Thats pretty interesting. Never heard of that before. Ours are all button-press only - pavements arent wide enough I'd imagine to warrant it.