Sun 17 Jan. Richmond park, 1pm

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
First sunny day of the year, should be a solstice or something given the weather, so gonna do a couple laps more the merrier. I'll be at the coffe shop left by roehampton gate at 1pm.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    its already pretty busy there today, lots of cyclists and cars.
  • Yep, very busy there and cars are queuing for most of the car parks.

And that headwind up Sawyers Hill is an absolute killer :shock: (I'm so unfit :oops: )
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Just back from RP... what a mare with all those cars.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'd intended to come down but woke up quite hungover and went to the pub for lunch instead.

WIN.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    yeah was pretty busy, but so nice to be out on the bike in the sun... felt a little like commuting in places

nice rides guys cheers for that, Sewiman hope you finished before it got dark, it started to get cold fairly quickly as well
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I'd intended to come down but woke up quite hungover and went to the pub for lunch instead.

WIN.

I'll drink to that :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    ho ho. I did a 30 mile lap around London today (west to east end and back), virtually car free most of the way.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I bailed half way around on my sixth lap. Forgot that I had to pick up car from sister in twickers. So just under fifty miles. Park was too busy really. They should control car numbers. Good to see the guys!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    That was a very pleasant afternoon in the park. A bit of warm sun felt great after the last couple of weeks of coldness :D Not even the traffic could dent the euphoria
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    JonGinge wrote:
    That was a very pleasant afternoon in the park. A bit of warm sun felt great after the last couple of weeks of coldness :D Not even the traffic could dent the euphoria

the woman getting done for speeding was rather amusing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Sewinman
    I hit 195 heart rate on the big clockwise hill on the first lap, 177 the second time when I picked a lower gear and was not trying (and failing) to avoid being dropped. Average HR was 149. :shock:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:

+1

And DDD - nice try on dark hill. Fact remains though that traffic or no traffic you failed to press the advantage... :P

:lol:

Good to see you guys and thanks for the pootle.
  • Clever Pun
    JonGinge wrote:

+1

And DDD - nice try on dark hill. Fact remains though that traffic or no traffic you failed to press the advantage... :P

:lol:

Good to see you guys and thanks for the pootle.

you managed to make it home safely?

DDD absolutely ripped up that hill then stopped
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    :oops: :oops: :oops:

I overcooked it... and then let myself down by backing off too much/too long and not pulling it back... next time.

Still, it was kinda impressive that I was able to 'overcook it'. Time was me getting up that hill was nothing short of a miracle.

Turning into a right Bradley Wiggins, me!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    :oops: :oops: :oops:

I overcooked it... and then let myself down by backing off too much/too long and not pulling it back... next time.

Still, it was kinda impressive that I was able to 'overcook it'. Time was me getting up that hill was nothing short of a miracle.

Turning into a right Bradley Wiggins, me!

that was a hill you walked up previously no? in that case... you're getting there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Man, the traffic was a pain, as were the police who were stopping cyclists opposite the road to Ham Gate and had set up a speed camera at the bottom of Sawyer's Hill. The grit on the roads wasn't much fun, either. So I think there are reasons for a 69.45" three-lapper - though if I'm honest my lack of fitness is reason #1.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    What time was that, Mark? As CP said, we saw a driver getting done for speeding. How they managed that in the gridlock near Richmond gate is a wonder ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    It's all about getting to the Park early of course. The traffic on Sunday was a total joke as is the 'road surfacing.' What were they thinking when they decided to cover the road in loose gravel? I was a little concerned about loosing traction on it in some parts, hopefully it'll clear soon. I don't understand why they allow cars in the park at all. Why not let them drive in as far as the closest car park to their point of entry and leave path free for cyclists, runners etc etc. There are enough cars in London without having them clog up the parks.

I've seen the police stopping cyclists a few times but never been stopped myself. It's annoying as my response is to shut off the Garmin as a precaution. I don't see what they can do if you've not got a speedo... but loosing ride data is massive pain.
  • DonDaddyD
    Baffled me how she managed to speed in that traffic.

Grit was no fun, I had some fly into my eye... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    The cars in RP debate has been raging for years. A lot of people use it as a cut through from Richmond to Kingston etc.

Is Broomfield Hill to very steep one you go up when going clockwise? I saw a guy coming down hill on the right side of his lane nearly get taken out by a car over-taking and drifting into the opposite lane going uphill. The car had the cheek to beep at the cyclist. I would suggest sticking to the secondary on that descent.

The gravel is a (bad) joke.
  • DonDaddyD
    Thing is, there is so much traffic going through Richmond park don't even think its a shortcut anymore.
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    JonGinge wrote:
    What time was that, Mark? As CP said, we saw a driver getting done for speeding. How they managed that in the gridlock near Richmond gate is a wonder ;)

About 11am. It seems to be their favourite spot for cameras.

RP is such a massive chunk of land in the middle of London that traffic has to be allowed through it. The surrounding roads are busy enough as it is, and turning each of them into bottlenecks would be a nightmare. I have no problem with cars, bikes and people sharing the park roads - and they are roads, it's not like we're complaining about motor vehicles on trails or anything. As James says, if you want serious, uninterrupted riding, go early.

Don't think sticking to secondary going down Broomfield Hill is a good plan - I can't think of a worse place to be overtaken!
  • Sewinman
    biondino wrote:
    Don't think sticking to secondary going down Broomfield Hill is a good plan - I can't think of a worse place to be overtaken!

True, the middle of the lane then....but that is covered in gravel! Take care basically.
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2010
    Going down I just hugged the edge, kissing the line between hard ground and furry grass perfectly. As it curved I leant in and drove through the corner to the wonderous opening at the other end.
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Going down I just hugged the edge, kissing the line between hard ground and furry grass perfectly. As it curved I leant in and drove through the corner to the wonderous opening at the other end.

What exactly are you talking about here... 'cos it doesn't sound like cycling. :shock:
  • Sewinman
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What exactly are you talking about here... 'cos it doesn't sound like cycling. :shock:

A really nice cricket shot, 100%.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Descending down Broomfield Hill.

The one thing my Karen does beautifully is descend. She goes down like a Storm Trooper!

Her deep throated front end swallows the straight thickness of tarmac without once squirming.
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    What the hell were you doing on the outside? That's where all the grit was. I preferred to use the right-hand tyre track, though the left-hand one had to do when there was traffic on the other lane. Still didn't get over about 30mph, though.
  • Clever Pun
    biondino wrote:
    What the hell were you doing on the outside? That's where all the grit was. I preferred to use the right-hand tyre track, though the left-hand one had to do when there was traffic on the other lane. Still didn't get over about 30mph, though.

was teasing the brakes at that point... luckily as a car went across the roundabout at the bottom... still managed to no lose to much speed and opened up a bit back to the cafe
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5