Traditional Spring seats

colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited January 2010 in MTB general
After my ar.se feeling the pain of todays cycling am considerin buyin a traditional old fashion spring seat ..

Why not it looks the part plus they are comfy as fook

Sussie frame sussie seat ... : match made in heaven Yet in a old mag I have no such seat gets a review it's all those modern designed hard plastic seats

why is that ...

Comments

• 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    sore ar*e?

best stop night riding around your local park then. :lol:

some people do use those brooks saddles but i don't know why. after all their hardly performance equipment. also just because your saddle has springs under it doesn't mean it'll prevent a sore arse, why you ask? well usually it's rubbing not vibration that causes it.

just because one saddle has more padding than another saddle doesn't make it more comfortable either, in-fact one of the most comfortable saddles i have used was a ritchie marathon pro which is a bit like a razor with a leatherette cover over it. though my present sdg bel air gives it a run for it's money and with a little more padding.

padded shorts make all the difference anyway, and that is the true secret
    Fancy a brew?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I wouldn't bother, comfort saddles are nothing of the sort if you're riding regularly. They can actually cause pain. A good modern ergonomically design saddle will be lighter, designed not to pinch or squash important nerves or rub. As 77ric says, some of the least padded saddles are the most comfy, it's more about flex than padding if you want a comfy ride.

Oh and you do need to ride regularly enough to harden your a*se up, no saddle will be that comfy if you don't get used to it.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    77ric wrote:
    just because one saddle has more padding than another saddle doesn't make it more comfortable either, in-fact one of the most comfortable saddles i have used was a ritchie marathon pro which is a bit like a razor with a leatherette cover over it. though my present sdg bel air gives it a run for it's money and with a little more padding.

padded shorts make all the difference anyway, and that is the true secret

+1 to both of those points. I absolutley loved my Ritchey Saddle, until it broke, then I replaced it with a Fizik Gobi because I couldn't find a Ritchey one anywhere. The Gobi is good, but not as great the the Ritchey.

Also, +1 to get some padded shorts. How long have you been riding? You might just need to get used to it unfortunately.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Maybe After such a spell of the saddle it was bound to hurt .. lack of match practice ..

The day was different I don't think I'll bother getting a new seat when I've still got my old bikes ..
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You could get something like a Charge Spoon, buy one second hand to try it out, and you can sell it for as much as you bought it for if you don't like it.
    colintrav wrote:
    The day was different I don't think I'll bother getting a new seat when I've still got my old bikes ..

What?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    charge spoon is one of the comfyest saddles out there, and it has very,very little padding.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Are you finding your furys saddle uncomfortable ? The carrera saddles are bloody awful !

I love my SDG Bel-Air !
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    get padded shorts, a better saddle or if you really want a bouncy seat get a suspension seatpost
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    bails87 wrote:
    You could get something like a Charge Spoon, buy one second hand to try it out, and you can sell it for as much as you bought it for if you don't like it.
    colintrav wrote:

What?!

i think that is glasgow speak for 'today was different...'
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    fitch28 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    colintrav wrote:

What?!

i think that is glasgow speak for 'today was different...'

i'm not so sure about that, it didn't make much sense to me either i mean i got the gist of it, but i reckon colintrav just has a piss poor grasp of the english language.
    Fancy a brew?