SRAM XX......

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited January 2010 in MTB general
.....has anyone on earth been able to aford to buy any of it yet?

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    No desire to :wink:

Running Shimano 10 speed though :P
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes.

But question is... would I buy it?

No.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I'd be terified of breaking it......

Imagine hurtling down Cwm Carn and a rock flings up and htis that shiny mech... it would stand no chance
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    £300 MRP for the cassette, that is absolutely insane!

3 times the price of XTR 5 times the price of XT.

Yes I know its machined from billet and is super light and stiff but at that price it could have been forged from a bolt of Odin's lightning and I still wouldn't be interested!
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    RichMTB wrote:
    at that price it could have been forged from a bolt of Odin's lightning and I still wouldn't be interested!

:lol:
    admit it , you're just holding out for the gold anodised version.
    :D
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Price is nothing compared to bragability! :?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd like it, if the price were sane, but I don't see it being all that better than 2x9 with a sensible cassette. Especially if they take the same ideas from XX- the 1 to 1.5 ratio on the front, and the big rear cassette- and make it happen in 9-speed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Nah,

Not my bag, I guess some of the features will trickle down to the mere mortal X0 level, maybe a 10sp option on X0 by 2011, X9 by 2012 but I think it'll only ever make sense / appeal to the XC whippets amongst us who understand candish (or whatever it is) and can fine tune riding / gears for maximum effeciency.

Me? I just like smashing through trails with my mates.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    theres a trek on the readers rides section running it. it looks very cool and although i cant see the point, i bet there was a time when everyone thought that about 7 speed though eh?

i dont see what the big fuss is about a dual ring setup though, thats not new is it?
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    I am waiting for shimano to release a version that doesn't use a cassette, it uses a compact disc or MP3 instead.....

....I'll get my coat :oops:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I read somewhere that six of the ratios are duplicated and two are beyond the chain's mechanical limits, so it ain't all that :)

Shimano's 10-speed bar shifters/chain/cassette can give you 30 speeds for a fraction of the cost. I only use four or five ratios anyway so it's wasted on me.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You always get some duplication - a typical triple witha 11-32 cassette for example has about 13 unique gears lol. But mechanical constraints and the way we use gears makes overlap a necessity.

I don't understand the 'beyond the chains limits' though unless the chain is too short and the mech cannot handle full capacity. Again not unique to 10 speed.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    theres a trek on the readers rides section running it. it looks very cool and although i cant see the point, i bet there was a time when everyone thought that about 7 speed though eh?

I've got an 8-speed setup on my commuter, with an 11-32 block, and in use it's really no difference from 9 speed with 11-32. 7 speed

Here's a breakdown of a typical 8-speed 11-32 vs 9-speed

As it turns out, through most of the cassette the ratios are absolutely identical.

Add 7-speed 12-28 (there doesn't seem to be an 11-32 available, this is the closest I could find for my retro)

You lose the top and bottom but the ratios between are very similiar again- this HG50 is almost identical to a 9-speed XT, with the top and bottom cut off.

Shifting's not the same, because 9=speed is where all the development and quality goes- they don't make 7-speed X0! But so far as I can tell, this is the main reason that 8 speed really lags behind 9 speed, not because of the concept. The wider spaced ratios could be considered an advantage by some, I'm not sure I care, I often double shift anyway so I suspect that's me finding the ratios slightly too narrow on 9-speed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The bike shop where i work has already seen 2 or 4 XX groups come through. The shifting is ridiculous, even better than X0 to be completely honest. The chain glides up and down the cassette very smooth, but the front shifting is what is the craziest. Think....Dura-Ace.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    i seem to be going backwards with gear ratio's ,
    from 24 to 8 (ditched 2 front chainrings )
    enjoying the simplicity of it.
    my 2p anyway.
  • biff55 wrote:
    i seem to be going backwards with gear ratio's ,
    from 24 to 8 (ditched 2 front chainrings )
    enjoying the simplicity of it.
    my 2p anyway.

same mate im runnin 1 x 9. less to break lol
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    .blitz wrote:
    I read somewhere that six of the ratios are duplicated and two are beyond the chain's mechanical limits, so it ain't all that :)

Shimano's 10-speed bar shifters/chain/cassette can give you 30 speeds for a fraction of the cost. I only use four or five ratios anyway so it's wasted on me.

You sure thats not the other way round? As in on a 3x10 set up?