eco and pocket friendly bike cleaning

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Can anyone suggest any eco friendly (as well as budget friendly) cleaning ideas for my bike. After a ride out today the old beast is looking a bit on the mucky side and could do with a good hosing down. Having recently run out of Muc Off I was wondering what there may be out there that I can use to clean the bike which will not only be ecofriendly but also friendly to my budget.

Ta :D
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Green Oil do a cleaner I believe.
  • water and a rag, surely.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Washing up liquid - in my case Ecover (assuming you are already on the eco washing up liquid, a bit more won't hurt). People are scared of it because it has salt in it but you are just going to wash it off again in a few minutes so it is hardly going to have time to do any damage. Not as though you are meant to leave MucOff on for long anyway.

I just keep diluting my bottle of Hope Shoit Shifter with more Ecover - seems to function in exactly the same way as the original contents.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    Rolf F wrote:
    Washing up liquid - in my case Ecover (assuming you are already on the eco washing up liquid, a bit more won't hurt). People are scared of it because it has salt in it but you are just going to wash it off again in a few minutes so it is hardly going to have time to do any damage. Not as though you are meant to leave MucOff on for long anyway.

I just keep diluting my bottle of Hope Shoit Shifter with more Ecover - seems to function in exactly the same way as the original contents.

Have you never seen the mess washing up liquid makes of car paint? Strips all the wax off and leaves it dull. I would never use washing up liquid for anything painted.
    A biking runner :)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,127
    Hrun wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Have you never seen the mess washing up liquid makes of car paint? Strips all the wax off and leaves it dull. I would never use washing up liquid for anything painted.

agree, but have got a mate that used it on his 911 for years without any trouble!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hrun wrote:

Most people don't wax their bikes I suspect (though I do as it happens). Washing up liquid does not, in any way, make a mess of my bike paint. It appears to behave in pretty much exactly the same way as the Mucoff type products (which one mate of mine was warned off using on a road bike by a bike shop!) which probably have much the same ingredients (though the Hope product doesn't own up to what it is made of).

My bikes paint looks pretty much like new after well over 1500 miles.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Baby wipes
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    itboffin wrote:
    Baby wipes

And for the bike? :P
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    itboffin wrote:
    Baby wipes
    Did you miss the cheap and environmentally friendly aspect of the question, ITB?

The problem with the solvent free degreasers is that they are pretty useless.

So the question is, does scrubbing away with tons of useless solvent free cleaner end up actually being worse than, for example, using a small amount of white spirit to clean the chain and gears + simple soap and water for the rest?

Once you've mobilised the oily grime, its easy to wash it off with hot soapy water.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    itboffin wrote:
    Baby wipes

is that a suggestion, of have you just got to that age in your life where you need them again :wink:

Nurse!!! ITB has got out of his bed and soiled himself again :lol: :roll:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • brushed
    brushed Posts: 63

If you want to shift the crud easily I have used Cif bathroom mouse as a cheaper alternative to Muc Off but its not eco friendly. Leave on for a short while like Muc Off and rinse off.

If you want eco friendly then Ecover washing up liquid in hot water and use a soft dustpan brush to attack all the crevises.Then rinse with a clean brush and water.
    FCN 4 summer
    FCN 6 Winter

'Strong, Light, Cheap : choose two' Keith Bontrager
  • brushed wrote:

If you want to shift the crud easily I have used Cif bathroom mouse as a cheaper alternative to Muc Off but its not eco friendly. Leave on for a short while like Muc Off and rinse off.

If you want eco friendly then Ecover washing up liquid in hot water and use a soft dustpan brush to attack all the crevises.Then rinse with a clean brush and water.
    Cif contains abrasives, so I guess that frequent use may cause fine damage to paint.

I may be suffering a science deficit here, but wherever possible, I just use water and a rag to clean my frame.

I do use cleaning agents, but sparingly: soap or other solvents are for dissolving grease. You also need very little solvent to shift grease. So I only use cleaning agents (and minimal amounts) on greasy parts. Simple.

That's keeps it cheap and relatively environmentally friendly.
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    +1 for baby wipes. Even better are degreasing hand wipes if your work does them :wink: Or go for car washing stuff. V.hot water and a few brushes always makes a nice job.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I put hot water in a plant spraying bottle which i then spray the bike in. wipe down and repeat and the frame is nice and clean.

For the chain i just buy a big bottle of citric degreaser either online or at halfrauds for like a tenner. lasts 6ish months
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Hrun wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I've been washing my bikes in hot water and a little Ecover washing up liquid for years and haven't had any problems. It's not as efficient as cutting thruogh grease and muck as non-eco versions but it does a good job. When I was kid I used to wash cars for extra pocket money with washing up liquid and there was never any problem there either...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.