Packhorse Coast to Coast

pabloweaver
pabloweaver Posts: 444
edited January 2010 in Tour & expedition
Just booked to do the C2C at the end of April, going from St Bees and ending at Robin Hood bay..

so the questions are :

Does any one have any recommendations on stop off points for B&B ( we can still change/determine at this point )?

and although I'm happy plotting a route via Bikely etc etc and sticking it on the 705/ paper map/ grey matter...

does any one have any recommendations regarding route ( road only )?

No need for panniers and loads of gear due to the Packhorse element, so using standard road bikes for each days journey. Are there any areas to avoid for skinny tyres despite the route being mainly B roads?

Thanks in advance

Pablo
http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Have you looked at the c2c-guide.co.uk site? In particular they have a page on the off-road bits:

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/offroad.htm
  • thanks Andy, however I'm looking to do it by road only. Anyone any idea if the route is stll passable at the Lake District end?
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I should have said 'on the off-road bits and the on-road alternatives'.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    thanks Andy, however I'm looking to do it by road only. Anyone any idea if the route is stll passable at the Lake District end?

Not quite sure what you're asking.

From St Bees you either head south east and over hardknott or you head north east and essentially just join the normal C2C route. I thought the only point in starting from St Bees and finishing at Robin Hoods Bay was if you planned to do the offroad C2C. If you're doing it on road then there are few choices as to how you get east.
    More problems but still living....
  • galaxyboy
    galaxyboy Posts: 168
    amaferanga wrote:
    thanks Andy, however I'm looking to do it by road only. Anyone any idea if the route is stll passable at the Lake District end?

Not quite sure what you're asking.

From St Bees you either head south east and over hardknott or you head north east and essentially just join the normal C2C route. I thought the only point in starting from St Bees and finishing at Robin Hoods Bay was if you planned to do the offroad C2C. If you're doing it on road then there are few choices as to how you get east.

amaferanga is pretty much right there as the St Bees - Robin Hoods bay usually goes by a route known as 'wheelwrights' (i think), although you could make up a route to take you by road.
    The normal c2c starting at Whitehaven/Workington and finishing Tynemouth/Sunderland has mainly on road sections with some off road options. I've done it a couple of times with plenty of people on 23mm tyres that completed it without any trouble at all.
    The main restrictions are between Workington and Cockermouth where some bridges are closed due to the recent floods. Try the c2c site or hadrians way site for more information on these.
    Best of luck.