How does your bike get there?

Scrumple
Scrumple Posts: 2,665
As I'm about to buy a new car, and I have never moved a bike other than by shoving it in w/o wheels... I tend to store my bike at home and ride it. I never drive it anywhere and need to start!

How do you transport yours? This is inspired by the upcoming BR sportive, circa Macclesfield ish.

Big boots? Car racks? Roof racks? Ride it there? How is yours going to arrive?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Whereabouts are you coming from?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Well when my brother gives me a lift I usually take off both wheels and put it in the boot. He's getting a small car soon though so a car rack will be bought.
  • Scrumple
    Nottingham.
    Not that it matters as wherever it is it will involve a car and a bike for most.... Really after the general way to move a bike and what most people do.
  • redddraggon
    Me and the hubmeister will be riding there
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I take off a front wheel and shove it in the car.

I'm usually in a Fiat 500 too :shock:
  • Scrumple
    boot or back seat....
    Where do you stick yours... And do you use fork pins (thingys), or other stuff to help protect or cover etc?

I'm bored as the wife is watching dancing tripe.
  • Anonymous
    Scrumple wrote:
    boot or back seat....
    Where do you stick yours...

In the red, fearsome NapMobile?

Boot, back seat and a bit of front passenger seat too!
  • redddraggon
    To answer the original question seriously...

I normally just put the back seats down, take the front wheels off, and the put the bike in the back.

I do have a rack too, but only use it when the car/boot is full, it's far quicker to just throw the bike in the back of the car most of the time.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Erm. I was answering him seriously.

I have to put the back seats down and move the front seat forward and fold it forward in the Fiat. And take the front wheel off.

Only use the rack when there's two of us or boot full.
  • redddraggon
    NapoleonD wrote:

Did I say you didn't? I refering to my post and me and the hubmeister
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    NapoleonD wrote:

I have to put the back seats down and move the front seat forward and fold it forward in the Fiat. And take the front wheel off.

Only use the rack when there's two of us or boot full.
    Same for me except my car is a Suzuki Swift.
    Plenty of room!
  • Scrumple
    It was even a serious question... I'm not sure why I thought there'd be some bling way to do it that most of you used. I was thinking shoving it the boot was sooooo amateur...
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Back seat down and put the bike (or bikes) in the car without removing anything. Good to have an estate car.
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:

Did I say you didn't? I refering to my post and me and the hubmeister

Aaah, apologies for my misunderstanding.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    edited January 2010
    I just take out the front wheel, fold one seat forwards and bung it in the boot/passenger space - no problems :)

One of my criteria for buying a car has, for many years, been "Will my bike fit with just the front wheel removed?"

Last three cars were a Toyota Celica GT4, a Toyota Supra and a Jaguar S-Type (current) (I like fast cars and cycling!!) :)
  • Anonymous
    Chrissz wrote:
    I just take out the front wheel, fold one seat forwards and bung it in the boot/passenger space - no problems :)

That's what I do in the Volvo but if I'm out on the bike in the car it usually means MrsNapD is one family duties which may involve logistics and kids and sh1t, so she needs it...
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    SBezza wrote:
    Back seat down and put the bike (or bikes) in the car without removing anything. Good to have an estate car.

Must be a 'full sized' estate, then.

I drop the 'double' part of the rear seat & take wheels off, then chuck everything in the back.
    It would be a lot easier, if I could be bothered to remove the child seat, then I'd leave the wheels on. 4x4's aren't necessarily big in the back!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    hopper1 wrote:
    SBezza wrote:

Must be a 'full sized' estate, then.

Skoda Octavia Estate.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Ford Focus, no problem just drop the larger section of the rear seat and take the front wheel off, job done.
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    Mondeo man here, back seats down and full bike in the back no problem....
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Honda civic - whole bike, even had road and mtb in there with full kit helmets etc when wifey was doing her first mass ride.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Mazda 3, bike fits in the back with the seats down, no need to take wheels off. I have a rack for when there's more than two of us.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    SEAT Arosa. I use one of these.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    'kin hell....
    I have a VW Tuareg & take the wheels off, with the 'double seat' folded!
    Must get A6 Avant. (RS badge removed before wife sees!) :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Bit unconventional but for the last 3 years, Mr Ands' bike has gone to the Alps in the roof box - wheels & pedals off, seat post out. Frame is padded out, wheels lie on top and then all the other bike stuff goes in it - track pump, helmet, shoes, cycle clothing, bottles, tools, etc etc.

audi.jpg
  • To transport bikes and other kit:

back seats down
    remove front wheel and seat post
    use old toe strap to hold bike upright
    front wheel between frame and rear door
    1 bike one each side, kit in centre
    you can probably get 4 bikes in using this method but the car will only carry 2 riders!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Big ass 4X4. Bike fits in the back, standing up with both wheels still on. Can fit my TT bike in there as well in a push.

But I've seen people fit their bikes into the smallest cars. Passenger seat folded forward, etc.
  • For my Scott HT mountain bike, I take the wheels off and bung it in the boot (Audi A4) - it only just fits and takes a bit of practice, but I've got it sussed now. It ensures that the bike is protected from the elements, not going to fall of, and is out of sight so can stay in there for a few days if I want.

If I'm taking more than one bike anywhere, then it's the bike rack, but that becomes a hassle (security, lack of access to the boot, etc).

I only recently got my road bike, and haven't worked out what to do about that yet... I like to take my bike to work so I can go for lunchtime rides. Also looking at changing my car in the next 6 months, so will probably go for some sort of estate so that I can leave the wheels on... All suggestions for suitable estates which are very economical (I commute 90 miles a day) are welcome!
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    hopper1 wrote:
    'kin hell....

Must get A6 Avant. (RS badge removed before wife sees!) :wink:

LOL I like your thinking :)

I had a Toyota Aristo for a little while - told the wife it was a GS300 then one day whilst I was tinkering she saw the two big turbos strapped onto it - it had to go :(

Mind you, she still thinks that most of my bike bits are just shiny plastic :)