Sram SX5 Vs X5, possible silly question.

Heckler1974
Heckler1974 Posts: 479
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Not particularly au-fait with the differences between Sram derailleur models on MTB (I mostly fiddle with road bikes which are all Shimano), but I'm replacing a busted Sram SX5 rear derailleur on Mrs Heckler's MTB, can I replace it with another 9 speed SRam rear derailleur (of the same cage length), for example the X5 or do I need specifically an SX5 as the trigger shifters are SX5.

My MTB, a Commencal has x5 shifters and x7 rear mech so I'm guessing you can mix and match but I want to double check.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any Sram rear mech.

IIRC the SX5 and X5 are the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • doodzy2
    doodzy2 Posts: 3
    Hi, yeah, just to repeat the question,
    i fell off my carrera gryphon recently and broke the rear derailleur and stuff,
    it was a sx5 long cage, but im not sure which derailleur to get as the long cage sx5's are quite expensive but the other SRAM derialleurs are fairly cheap?
    does it have to be long cage and does it have to be sx5? (im pretty sure it has to be sram lol)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    should be long cage and any Sram rear mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • When Sram built the new X9 shifter based on X0 internals, the old X9 beacme X7 and X7 became X5 replacing the old SX5. They now have SX4 which is what SX5 used to be.
    The mechs and shifters are all cross compatible though.
  • doodzy2
    doodzy2 Posts: 3
    thanks for the advice guys! if i understand you correctly, does this mean that you can effectively put any sram derialleur onto my bike as long as its long cage? does it not even have to be 9 speed (which is what my bike is)?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    doodzy2 wrote:

I would pay the extra and get an x5 or higher-check the classifieds for a bargain. IIRC if you have 9 speed shifters you need a 9 speed rear mech.
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    warning! this is a bit of a grey area.....
    the old sx5 is a shimano compatable shifter, but the x5 is an sram compatable one.
    we came across this issue a while back.
    they both look the same, but the sx5 has been replaced with a trx sram.

best make sure the derailleurs are 1.1 actuation or 1.2 actuation.

...... its something like that anyways! :roll:
  • buzz1
    buzz1 Posts: 374
    bobs bikes wrote:
    warning! this is a bit of a grey area.....
    the old sx5 is a shimano compatable shifter, but the x5 is an sram compatable one.
    we came across this issue a while back.
    they both look the same, but the sx5 has been replaced with a trx sram.

best make sure the derailleurs are 1.1 actuation or 1.2 actuation.

...... its something like that anyways! :roll:
    the SX5 is for sram derailleurs only, it's the sram trigger range that's compatable with shimano.