tyre pressure

gixerator
gixerator Posts: 301
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I have conti MK 2.2 folding (tubed),

Says 55psi on the box with max of 65, This seems foe to hard for XC riding.

What are other people using?

Thanks

Comments

• Generally around 45 in mine and I'm a good 13 1/2 stone. Occasionally they'll go up to 50, maybe a little more for the road.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    14st,
    30 front
    34 rear
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gixerator
    gixerator Posts: 301
    many thanks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I always say to ignore the side wall, the psi depends on your weight, and how much grip you want. SO....
    The heavier you are the more PSI
    The more grip you want, the les PSI, I'm 130 LB and 14, I keep mine at 35 psi on the mountain, and maybe 40 - 45 on the road

Absolute minimum for PSI is 30, but you're gonna want more to avoid pinch flats
  • R2 D2
    R2 D2 Posts: 34
    I'm 10 stone ish and regularly run mine at around 25, but whack them up to 35 for roads
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    R2 D2 wrote:
    I'm 10 stone ish and regularly run mine at around 25, but whack them up to 35 for roads

and spent aaaaaages yesterday tarting about with them!!!

:wink:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    7 stone.
    front tyre maxxis ardent 2.25 20psi
    rear tyre specialized the captain control 2.2 25 psi
    agreesive xc
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mountain Kings do seem to benefit from being run a bit harder than most tyres though, so general advice might not work perfectly
    Uncompromising extremist
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The max pressure value on the sidewall is for the road. I'm 90kg and generally run 30F/35R off road.
  • 13.5 stone and anywhere from 22-30psi in the wet slippy conditions and 30-40 in the dry/road
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    ABout 30 psi most of the time here.
  • I've got the same tyres and am 12st.

I got my bike as an insurance replacement from wheelies in Swansea and hit cwmcarn after collecting it with a mate. I didn't check the pressure as I was eager to hit the trails, and wondered why I didn't have much grip - when i got home and checked the pressure it was about 55psi!

So now I run 30F/30R on them - I found less than 30 in the back was giving me too many snakebites.

I also complained to my mate about how hard it was to reach the brake levers after the final descent, for him to point out that they were adjustable. :oops: