CTC survey

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
edited March 2010 in Campaign
This is an email survey I received from my club who in turn got it from the CTC
I'm all for safe cycling and polls to establish x y and z . But this one is just so bias. Question 7 has the audacity to tell me I don't feel safe. If the CTC is going to represent cyclists then give us the credit of knowing when or if we feel threatened

2 Way Street
The CTC Accident Line is surveying both cyclists and lorry drivers to find out more about how they perceive each other on our roads. If you are a regular cyclist, all you have to do is answer 10 questions and you have the chance to enter a draw to receive one year’s free CTC membership. There are 10 free CTC memberships on offer. Please forward the survey to your cycling friends.

Link should work...

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=B ... bc2A_3d_3d
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Have just done the questionnaire but have had probs re answering the questions.

Having said all the way that in my neck of the woods that I have found large lorries no problem - space given, time taken to overtake, and even a white van man thanked me for the way I rode on a roundabout (I'm getting light headed now),- one of the questions then asked me to give a negative answer about lorry drivers. Duuh!!!!!

I ride round the eastern A66 corridor.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Did the survey on friday and noticed the bias myself. I have yet to email them about this, or raise it on their forum. :? Lorry drivers tend to be the better drivers here, as are bus drivers in my exeriences
  • The survey does have some bias but there is an option on question 7 if you want to say that it doesn't apply to you.

Personally I would have put that option first though.
  • not impressed by the way CTC seems to have identified the lorry driver as the demon of the road. im not a lorry driver myself, but i dont mind sharing the road with them
    some in particular are very considerate, allowing me to turn before they set off at traffic lights and such.
    its not the vehicle you drive, its how you drive it.
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    What you don't know DD43 is what the purpose of survey was.

if it was looking at lorry driver/ cyclist interaction then survey focus is perhaps sensible

Its how the question data will be used that determines if bias is real or perceived in the use of the survey
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    It's down to the attitude of the driver/rider really. There are good and bad in both. As a commuter with an HGV licence I am sometimes amazed by drivers attitudes. It has to be said that there must still be firms out there with the "Drive or lose your job" attitude. In both this and last years snow the main road from home to work was blocked, then closed by HGV drivers who must have known they had more chance plaiting fog than getting up this particular hill in harsh winter conditions. Personally I feel it comes down to the increasingly prevalent I, Me, Mine attitude in society. Attitudes to other road users need to change, |I hate to say it but the article in the news is a good idea, shame it required legislation to make it happen.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Sounds like more pseudo social science from the CTC - like those odd views they preach about helmets.
    T Farr
  • downfader
    Tim Farr wrote:
    Sounds like more pseudo social science from the CTC - like those odd views they preach about helmets.

What? Freedom of choice? :?

Lets be fair here, survey was a bit of a c*ck up, but even government ones have their blips. :wink:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    downfader wrote:
    Tim Farr wrote:

What? Freedom of choice? :?

That waswhat I thought
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I noticed the questionnaire and thought it was worded to supporting a policy stance rather than gain an unbiased view.

I've also noticed a change in the positioning of the CTC recently, they seem to be taking the stance of the persecuted cyclists with the "it's always the other person's fault" stance.

I find myself out of line with their articles more and more.

Bob
  • downfader
    beverick wrote:
    I've also noticed a change in the positioning of the CTC recently, they seem to be taking the stance of the persecuted cyclists with the "it's always the other person's fault" stance.

I find myself out of line with their articles more and more.

Bob

Sorry, specifics? I've not noticed this line at all.I read their mag, their online stuff and use their forums. If anything they've come across as slightly more balanced than other road user groups such as the RAC