Gooone...

Cychologist
Cychologist Posts: 39
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
clipless

: |

Í expect to be lying flat on my side on some intersection come monday morning.

C
Reykjavikian commuter with his knees in a bunch

Scott Speedster S30 FCN 5 / Jamis Durango SX FCN 11

Comments

• Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    First couple of days was fine. It's when I got used to them, and forgot I was using them, that I started falling off. Twice the traditional forgetting to clip out at lights, and the other by accidentally clipping back in.

After a week it was ok.
  • I went clipless late last year and I'm proud to say that in about 400 miles I've had one proper clipless moment.. legs were too tired after cycling up a hill and when I slowed to a stop, I tried to unclip, didn't and just toppled sideways. Strangely it didn't hurt at all - I was just embarassed lying in the road on my side, still attached to the bike. Surprisingly a few people actually got out of their cars to ask if I was ok (!!) but I was already picking myself up so just said thanks and that I was fine... and sheepishly went on my way!

What has helped me the most has been to always unclip one foot in plenty time as you're coming up to a junction.. you can then clip back in if the lights change, or you can just put your foot down if you need to stop.

The only time you'll probably be caught out is in an unexpected situation where you need to jam on the brakes... had that happen and only just managed to unclip before falling over when some idiot pulled out of a junction whilst not paying attention.
    Planet X Nanolight High Modulus (Roadie) | 2008 Giant Bowery (Fixie)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    I've just switched to commuting on road pedals from MTB pedals. I was worried, because with my MTB shoes, I can put the rubber of the shoe on the pedal if I don't want to clip in and basically use it as a flat. With SPD-SLs and shoes with completely smooth hard plastic soles, I can't.

It's fine though. Been riding clipless for years, so getting in and out isn't a problem, just have to be even more wary when filtering knowing I'm clipped in.
  • I've found that accidently clipping back in whilst rolling to a halt is all to easy!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • I've found that accidently clipping back in whilst rolling to a halt is all to easy!
    This is something I've found, too.

Went clipless on holiday over New Year. Done a couple of hundred miles on them, including 100 commuting, and wondering why I was so worried - that said, I have got the PD-22 platforms making them single-sided, so in theory using the flats as I approach a junction should be easy.

The worst moments have been accidentally clipping back in when filtering - and not realising :shock:

Why does the clipless side never present itself when trying to move off, but always when filtering? :roll:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I had to ride with toeclips on Saturday. No idea how people do it, I actually ended up falling off (although that wasn't really the fault of the clips, more the manhole cover) but still they are horrible things. Clipless is the only way to go. Breaks my heart when I see a roadie with 'wrong' pedals, saw an S-Works roadie with flat pedals the other day. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

:shock:
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    saw an S-Works roadie with flat pedals the other day. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Burn the heretic! that's an appalling thing to do to an S-works.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    First ride with my SPDs today :D

So far no clipless moments even when the traffic lights changed when I was barely a bike length away from them.

Wasn't too sure I'd get on with SPDs as I always felt my feet sat on the pedals at a rather strange position but for the commute distance I was fine. Not only that but I did definitely feel I was getting more power with each pedal stroke something which I was rather sceptical about.

I have one question though. When I'm walking I can hear the metal cleat (or screws of the cleat) hitting the ground. Is this normal or have I just not tightened it enough.
  • -null- wrote:
    I have one question though. When I'm walking I can hear the metal cleat (or screws of the cleat) hitting the ground. Is this normal or have I just not tightened it enough.

Well done on going clipless, great feeling isn't it? And so much faster!

Whilst it is normal, make sure they're well screwed in. Mine came loose once and kept me attached to the pedal so I couldn't get off. Outside a chemist in methadone central. :shock:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I had to ride with toeclips on Saturday. No idea how people do it, I actually ended up falling off (although that wasn't really the fault of the clips, more the manhole cover) but still they are horrible things. Clipless is the only way to go. Breaks my heart when I see a roadie with 'wrong' pedals, saw an S-Works roadie with flat pedals the other day. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

You get used to clips just as you get used to clipless. They're not as easy to use as my eggbeaters, but slightly easier than my former single-sided SPDs. I have them on the fixie so that shoes are one less thing I have to worry about when commuting and nipping to places on the weekend/in the evening.
  • The SPDs are working fine for me. Never mind that I had my first (and so far, only) incident on my second day. I was about to park under a shelter by my gym (right next to hoooge windows of a hair saloon also located there). I swooped gracefully in, unclipped my right foot in good time and promptly fell on my left side, much to the amusement of flashy chicks getting their hare done real pretty.

I was humiliated, there was blushing and tears. I screamed it away during my deadlift session in the gym.

C
    Reykjavikian commuter with his knees in a bunch

Scott Speedster S30 FCN 5 / Jamis Durango SX FCN 11
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    biondino wrote:
    I had to ride with toeclips on Saturday. No idea how people do it ...

You get used to clips just as you get used to clipless. .... I have them on the fixie so that shoes are one less thing I have to worry about when commuting and nipping to places on the weekend/in the evening.

+1: once you've learnt how to use clips it's no big deal. Flipping up the toeclip and sliding your foot in on a moving fixie is a neat skill... pity to lose it :-)
    They work well enough for me (utility & touring cycling) and, as Blondie says, you don't have to bother with special shoes (or cleats wearing out, standardising on a system across several bikes etc.).
    Quicker to get a foot down on a slippy surface, too, from what I've read...

Cheers,
    W.
  • Had my first proper clipless moment this week (the first one didn't count as it was in the garden when I first fitted the pedals!).

Approaching traffic lights on a slight incline I'm in two minds whether to unclip or make a grab for the railings. It basically went unclip or grab.....unclip or grab.....unclip or grab.....oh christ losing speed.....where are the railings.....TIMBER!

Somehow my left knee took the full force and has been causing me grief for a few days now. No bruising which worries me as the pain is still there.
  • I've been commuting all week with SPDs on my road bikefor the first time (MTB pedals on a Road Bike Tut Tut) No issues as yet - in fact I was suprised how easy it was to get used to them.

I'll probably fall over on my way home now!
    FCN: 5
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    -null- wrote:
    Whilst it is normal, make sure they're well screwed in. Mine came loose once and kept me attached to the pedal so I couldn't get off. Outside a chemist in methadone central. :shock:
    Fortunately I found out I'd forgotten to tighten the cleats before I properly rode the bike. During my first practise clip in before I'd even got my foot clipped in a screw fell out :wink:
  • throberto wrote:
    I've been commuting all week with SPDs on my road bikefor the first time (MTB pedals on a Road Bike Tut Tut) No issues as yet - in fact I was suprised how easy it was to get used to them.

SPD's have a hell of a lot more float than SPD-SL's and the pedals are double sided... the SPD-SL's really don't like to let go of you once you're clipped into them, and the fact they're single sided makes for even more entertainment!

I've bought a set of regular SPD's and want to give them a try on my road bike as the SPD-SL's just aren't suited for the commute (for me at least!).
  • -null- wrote:
    -null- wrote:
    Fortunately I found out I'd forgotten to tighten the cleats before I properly rode the bike. During my first practise clip in before I'd even got my foot clipped in a screw fell out :wink:

Excellent, well then, you've been pre-disastered. You'll be fine.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Chicane-UK wrote:
    throberto wrote:
    I've been commuting all week with SPDs on my road bikefor the first time (MTB pedals on a Road Bike Tut Tut) No issues as yet - in fact I was suprised how easy it was to get used to them.

SPD's have a hell of a lot more float than SPD-SL's and the pedals are double sided... the SPD-SL's really don't like to let go of you once you're clipped into them, and the fact they're single sided makes for even more entertainment!

I've bought a set of regular SPD's and want to give them a try on my road bike as the SPD-SL's just aren't suited for the commute (for me at least!).

SPD SLs being one sided isn't an issue, as you know that everytime you set off the pedal is going to be in the same place due to where the majority of the weight is held.

I don't have any issues with using SPD-SLs in london for my commute and haven't had a clipless moment in 5 years. It just depends on the rider at the end of the day. When i look at SPDs and i see how small the cleat is and how small the contact area is. i just worry about putting my power down.
  • SPD SLs being one sided isn't an issue, as you know that everytime you set off the pedal is going to be in the same place due to where the majority of the weight is held.

I have only been riding a year or two so I guess I'm just not as experienced. I find that sometimes the pedals never return to the 'standard' position despite them being very heavily greased.. but part of me wonders if that's just because they're the cheapest / entry level SPD-SL's from Shimano, and whether some more expensive ones would be better?