London Bridge

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
anyone know why the railings have been taken off of London Bridge? we now have suicidal pedestrians able to wander out all willy-nilly!!! :roll:

Comments

• It's to prep cyclists for when they get to the south side. If we have a few stepping out on us on London Bridge, we'll be more alert for the lemming pedos stepping out en masse all the way down Tooley Street.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    It's to stop you getting squished against the railings by buses etc. Drivers can now force you off your bike safe in the knowledge that you're only going to fall onto the pavement. It's happening all over London at the moment.

Wonder what Boris is doing with all the metal?
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    It's to stop you getting squished against the railings by buses etc. Drivers can now force you off your bike safe in the knowledge that you're only going to fall onto the pavement. It's happening all over London at the moment.

maybe he's gonna melt all the metal and use it to fill in all the enormous pot holes that have appeared with the freeze/thaw action!!
  • _Brun_ wrote:

My vote goes for melting it down and creating an "Angel of the South" to be placed at Crystal Palace (or, maybe, Alexandra Palace if you're a north London type).
    angel_of_the_north.jpg
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Wouldn't the angel of the south have a man bag and an iphone?
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    anyone know why the railings have been taken off of London Bridge? we now have suicidal pedestrians able to wander out all willy-nilly!!! :roll:

Slow down then!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    edited January 2010
    Ha ha in the country we fence in the animals not the people.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    ....... is falling down.
    Misguided Idealist
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    I thought they'd taken them down so they could build more BT Twin bikes! :-)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

I noticed that! Bloody annoying. I had the same thoughts, how long's it going to be before someone tries to run across the road under my wheels. Annoyingly they have also taken away railings at the top of London Bridge at the traffic lights, they were great at stopping peds cutting though the traffic/across the ASL when crossing the road (and therefore straight under my wheels) and also good to lean against whilst the lights were red, meaning you could stay clipped in an get away quickly on green before that bus/cab/minicab/moped etc was able to accelerate through and left cut you.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • There is a policy to remove guard rails across much of the TfL road network and to encourage councils to do the same. This is very good news for both cyclists - who tend to get crushed against them by large turning vehicles and for pedestrians who were previously herded by them to prevent any disturbance to the great God traffic.

As Ghandhi says on the current LU posters - there is more to life than going faster. If you want to avoid hitting peds then you'll have to do what motorists should do to avoid hitting cyclists - look and slow doen.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Good points, Chingford Skinhead. Two cyclists died on the Woolwich Road last year and at both places there simply wasn't anywhere for the cyclist to go once the HGV turned left. I'm not saying they should have been there in the first place, but they were and now they aren't. Better to end up inelegantly sprawled across the pavement than under the wheels of an HGV.
  • Headhuunter
    There is a policy to remove guard rails across much of the TfL road network and to encourage councils to do the same. This is very good news for both cyclists - who tend to get crushed against them by large turning vehicles and for pedestrians who were previously herded by them to prevent any disturbance to the great God traffic.

As Ghandhi says on the current LU posters - there is more to life than going faster. If you want to avoid hitting peds then you'll have to do what motorists should do to avoid hitting cyclists - look and slow doen.

I can see what you're saying but London Bridge is a long straight stretch, no turning traffic! As for slowing down, peds will wander into traffic without looking and get hit no matter what speed you're doing. I have experience of it on many of London's roads.
  • Wouldn't the angel of the south have a man bag and an iphone?

Funnily enough, it turns out there is such a plan ... and the plan is for a horse.
    BBC

And it's partly made of metal (i.e. London Bridge railings) as well.[/url]
  • brushed
    brushed Posts: 63
    I saw a perfect example of why this a good idea yesterday.

The bus I was on overtakes cyclist just before a bus stop.

When he is halfway past the cyclist the bus driver sounds his horn to let the cyclist know of his presence and pulls in and stops.

Cyclist has to jump onto pavement to save his skin.

Unbelievable.

199 bus to Greenwich - watch out for professional morons.
    FCN 4 summer
    FCN 6 Winter

'Strong, Light, Cheap : choose two' Keith Bontrager
  • Headhuunter
    I see yuor point I have to say though, I have far more problems with smaller items of "traffic" like motorbikes/mopeds, cabs and minicabs and peds wandering into the road than I ever have with buses.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I'm very pleased to see the barriers go - I've wanted this for over 20 years. The most important road user of all is the pedestrian - and they should really have priority over everyone else. I'm more than happy to slow down as necessary.

Shame the barriers on Woolwich Road that killed cyclists haven't come down yet.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Porgy wrote:
    I'm very pleased to see the barriers go

+1 Down with barriers, and hello to shared use and greater awareness (I hope).