Singlespeed gearing for Keilder 100

bennyboyh
bennyboyh Posts: 51
edited January 2010 in XC and Enduro
Anyone got any experience of 12/24hr races on singlespeed or the Keilder 100 course?

Currently riding 32/20 on a 29er, which is fine around Yorkshire, but will I be undergeared/overgeared over such a long distance?

Any replies appreciated

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I reckon you'd be both!
  • I reckon you're mad!!!
  • IIRC a guy from the Hamsterley Trailblazers did the Kielder 100 on a S/S last year.

Take a trip to http://www.hamsterley-trailblazers.co.uk/ sign up and pop a question on the forum...
  • Love the idea, to be honest it doesn't matter what you go for to be honest you'll find some stuff over and some stuff under geared.
    Depends what you want but...What I would advise if you wnat to be able to walk after, is train to have a lower cadence last couple of weeks before the race and then change gearing either back to your standard or to give you a slightly higher cadence for the race. The lower cadence will give your muscles a going over for the hard bits but running at a higher cadence on the race will allow you remove lactate more efficiently. we're only talking a slight difference here like a 34 instead of a 32 not huge differences.
    If you want to race to win and think you have a chance then stick with what you're used to, it's what your body and mind (the major player) will expect!
    AJ

Trek Fuel EX 9 '2010'
    Custom MTB Single Speed '2008'
    Trek 1.5 '2009'

And I want so many more!
    LBS www.gearedbikes.co.uk