Question for Specialized Tricross commuters with mudguards

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Want to be able to remove them easily so went for SKS Raceblades, but was told by bike shop that they don't fit the Tricross.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Paging Wallace to the thread :P
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Cheers -null-.

They are right. The raceblades are for much narrower tyres, from 23mm down. I got SKS Chromoplastic at 45mm clearance, and they are excellent. As the Tricross has mudguard attachment points you do not need the clip ons. Not really any weight to them, so unless you doing heavy mud, no need to remove them much.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I believe Raceblades are too narrow for cross tyres - usually 35x700 - should be Ok id you fit road tyres.

Considering these for the Croix de fer
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/13764/Zef ... guard.html
  • kelsen
    Cheers everyone. I've got 25c tyres so guess the Raceblades might be ok.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Crud road racers should fit - I managed to get them on over 28c tyres.

Removing normal mudguards doesn't take long - I've got Tortecs and it's probably about 5mins for front and rear.

P1050489.jpg
  • Wallace1492
    kelsen wrote:

Might still be an issue, product states 18 - 23mm

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SKS_Race_Blade_Clip_On_Mudguard_Set/5300005894/
  • Wallace1492
    Canny Jock wrote:

Removing normal mudguards doesn't take long - I've got Tortecs and it's probably about 5mins for front and rear.

P1050489.jpg

Canny, what is the rear extention you have from the seat post? Seen handlebar ones but not from seat post. Looks good for multiple lights.
  • kelsen
    Based on all your advice, went for the SKS Chromoplastics instead. Thanks.
  • kelsen wrote:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SKS_Race_Blade_Clip_On_Mudguard_Set/5300005894/

I have raceblades on my Giant with Marathon+ 25c which are fairly chunky, fit no probs
    <a>road</a>
  • Wallace1492
    kelsen wrote:

Not the easiest to fit, but once you get it worked out, it is fine.
    I have not taken mine off, but they do look too hard to do.

Take care when fitting the front fork stay's as I screwed mine up (buggered the thread on the stay) and had to use cable ties.
  • kelsen
    kelsen wrote:

I have raceblades on my Giant with Marathon+ 25c which are fairly chunky, fit no probs

Spoke to the mechanic. It isn't just the tyres apparently, the cantilever brakes also obstructs the guards.
  • kelsen
    kelsen wrote:

Take care when fitting the front fork stay's as I screwed mine up (buggered the thread on the stay) and had to use cable ties.

Cheers Wallace. Got the LBS to do it as I couldn't be ar sed :wink:
  • Wallace1492
    kelsen wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Cheers Wallace. Got the LBS to do it as I couldn't be ar sed :wink:

I nearly did that!! Glad I didn't as i like to learn more about the bike.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I run the Tortec on my Tricross as well - I also went for the slightly wider fit to allow for greater water deflection (up to 42c I think they are)

The only issue I had was that I managed to rip the mud flap off when doing some low speed manouevering :(
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Canny Jock wrote:

P1050489.jpg

Canny, what is the rear extention you have from the seat post? Seen handlebar ones but not from seat post. Looks good for multiple lights.

That's exactly what it is - a Minoura Space Grip. The bracket could be a bit better but it's been fine so far.

If you get one make sure you go for the longer version:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/min ... m-ec009105

This is another option:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/top ... r-ec007790

And here's a close up:

P1050486.jpg

P1050485.jpg
  • Wallace: Why not get it re-tapped? It's a specialized job (Oooops!) but means you don't need the cable tie.

I've got raceblades on my Langster which runs 25c Spec tyres. Glad you didn't go for them. They are rubbish. I just hate having crap all over the bike and me, otherwise I wouldn't use them.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace: Why not get it re-tapped? It's a specialized job (Oooops!) but means you don't need the cable tie.

I've got raceblades on my Langster which runs 25c Spec tyres. Glad you didn't go for them. They are rubbish. I just hate having crap all over the bike and me, otherwise I wouldn't use them.

I am fine with it just now, not a problem at all. Maybe when getting a service will get it sorted. Thanks for suggestion though.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I run the Tortec on my Tricross as well - I also went for the slightly wider fit to allow for greater water deflection (up to 42c I think they are)

The only issue I had was that I managed to rip the mud flap off when doing some low speed manouevering :(

Sorry - dragging up an old post - but it answers most of my questions ...

I'm mudguarding up my tricross ready for the wet (again) - rear isn't a problem, all the fitting points are there. But the front is more tricky .. 1) I have forks without mudguard attachment points and 2) top of the forks where you'd normally bolt the mudguard through, there is a brake fitting that has a V indent against the fork - so not sure where I'm supposed to put the tag for the top of the front guard ...
    I can bodge it - but would prefer to understand how others have fitted theirs ...
    TIA!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Fairly sure on my GF's TC Sport we just bolted it in place as normal, against the rear of the fork, and I think we may have used a small length of innertube just to protect the frame - if your worried about it.

If no one comes back with a definitive answer, let me know and I will check the bike when I get home tonight, can take pics etc.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    but what did you bolt too? iirc there is a bolt through there already to hold the brake cable - but it is recessed so doesn't seem to be able to use it to hold the guard.
    Nice thought on the innertube - I've used that around the forks to protect them where I attach the crudRR brackets.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Off the top of my head I cannot remember, as it was a good couple of years ago now, but if no one comes back by this evening I will venture into the garage to see for you.
    PM me your e-mail address if you like, and I can send a pic or two.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    PM sent! thank you!

No great rush - I've got to get some good mudguards first ... just temporary fitting the crudRRs atm.