Emergency mech hanger or spare hanger - what do you use?

marabou
marabou Posts: 36
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Has anyone tried one of these emergency mech hangers that are on the market?

In your opinion should I get one of these , or is it better to carry an authentic mech hanger?

Anyone fitted one? Are they straight forward to fit or not worth the hassle?

Look forward to your reading your advice.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    never seen one.

Link?
    and why bother just have a correct spare or make it Single sleed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i never thought about carrying one until i snapped mine at cwmcarn and had to wait 3 weeks to get a replacement!!!! i now carry an authentic one, for the sake of i think it was 15 quid it saves a lot of hassle :lol:
  • t4rmac
    t4rmac Posts: 23
    I got a specific replacement one from betd.co.uk. Carry it in the rucksack all the time. Make sure you've also got the right bolts as well - mine are tiny little ones no where else on the bike to pilage from, so I have two taped to the spare hanger.
  • It makes sence to carry the correct spare for your bike but having a univesal one in your pack can earn you lots of beer if you ride with a group.......takes up no space and doesn't cost or weigh much.
    Stuff I have designed
    www.muckynutz.com
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I carry spare hangers for both my MTNs. Unfortunately the the one time I snapped it it got so wedge against the derailleur body I needed a vice and big spanner to remove the remains from the mech so ended up singlespeeding the bike anyway (also damaged the mech). So carrying the hanger doesn't always help. That said it's worth buying a proper replacement as spare as it can take weeks to get a replacement during which time your bike is off the trails. Don't bother with an emergency hanger.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Always carried a poper spare until I bent the one on the bike. Then straightened the bent one and carried that as a spare.
    Of course now I ride a steel bike, so no worries.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Never tried the emergency hanger but have the spare that came with my frame in the backpack at all times. Emergency one may be handy if you're on your way home and it goes, bit crap if you just started riding and you have to stop and go home..Authentic everytime...if you have one.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    it seems to me that an emergency chain tensioner is the ideal fix for broken hangers and indeed mechs when out on the trail, but the only ones I can find bolt onto the mech hanger.....arghhhhh

I have never been able to succesfully singlespeed a bike after a dropout snap, due to an unlucky chain length.

and as said, sometimes getting the mech off the broken hanger is damn near impossible outside a workshop with proper tools.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.