Best shave

2»

Comments

• if you are wanting to look smart, and your face is not taking kindly to haveing a blade dragged across it on a daily bout of abuse what not try a well trimmed beard.

bad_beard.jpg

http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

:) No 3 appears to be in the bathroom, staring into a mirror - stunned. Clearly a glutton for punishment..
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Gilette this, sensitive skin that. Pah! All you need is a blunted bread knife, a bar of coal tar soap and a bit of beef dripping to moisturise with afterwards...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sensor Excel for me.

Try an exfoliating face wash first as it can help prepare the beard and skin better. Then a alcohol free balm afterwards.
  • 'trimmed' beards? pah. Let it run wild and run free.
    Ed at Great Rock http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/ is my beard hero:

4248013830_422838b4d8.jpg
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Well I am glad that so many out there still use the old Sensor Excel. i have had mine for the best part of a decade and I was starting to wonder when they will discontinue the range. Now I see so many others out there using them we should be fine for a while.

I tend to only shave once or twice a week as I suffer from the old razor burn, bumps etc. I also try to make the shaved area as small as possible, see the pic on the left :D

I have also gone down the beard path but the better half is not happy and normaly after a a few weeks of growth I get, "you need a shave"

Atm I am seeing how long I can grow the old goatee beard before she said anything. Gone a whole six weeks before finaly last night I got "your beard needs a trim".... what I do to amuse myself. :shock:
  • supersonic
    Sheldon Brown was the beard king!

powhlscb.jpeg
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    edited January 2010
    yep sensitve skin too, tried many things over the years to stop the rash - particularly on the neck.

1) shower- and use exfoliating face scrub - prepares the surface, like sanding a radiator before painting
    2) shave straight after shower - don't dry face in between, you want your hair to hold the water.
    3) apply your choice of gel, oil (I use koS), soap etc. - but with a good sharp blade, just water will do.
    4) I use the mach 3 turbo razor - the battery one that gently vibrates the blades. interestingly, the blade seems to make less difference, so can just use cheaper mach 3 blades
    5) wash face with hot water. then cold water.
    6) moisturise. if you apply aftershave, what I do is put a little puddle of aftershave in my palm, then a blob of moisturiser on top, mix together and then apply. Stops the delayed reaction aftershave sting - and the smell then seems to be longer lasting too.

7) tweaze eyebrows
    8 ) wax legs
    9) shape pub......

..oh, hang on, we're only talking about shaving, no the full beauty routine??

alternatively get yourself to a turkish barbers for the full cut throat shave/hot towels/shoulder, back and hand massage.....

and fine hair singeing..... :shock:
  • supersonic
    I use Nivea Q10 mosituriser after a shave. Expensive, but really does seem to make a difference.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    PBo wrote:
    yep sensitve skin too, tried many things over the years to stop the rash - particularly on the neck.

1) shower- and use exfoliating face scrub - prepares the surface, like sanding a radiator before painting
    2) shave straight after shower - don't dry face in between, you want your hair to hold the water.
    3) apply your choice of gel, oil (I use koS), soap etc. - but with a good sharp blade, just water will do.
    4) I use the mach 3 turbo razor - the battery one that gently vibrates the blades. interestingly, the blade seems to make less difference, so can just use cheaper mach 3 blades
    6) moisturise. if you apply aftershave, what I do is put a little puddle of aftershave in my palm, then a blob of moisturiser on top, mix together and then apply. Stops the delayed reaction aftershave sting - and the smell then seems to be longer lasting too.

7) tweaze eyebrows
    8) wax legs
    9) shape pub......

alternatively get yourself to a turkish barbers for the full cut throat shave/hot towels/shoulder, back and hand massage.....

wow in the morning i can just about get my tooth brush in the right orifice.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    PBo wrote:

7) tweaze eyebrows
    8 ) wax legs
    9) shape pub......

...so you have a really clean ar5e then?
  • mickbrown
    mickbrown Posts: 100
    To avoid bumps you want a single blade.

You need to avoid the "lift and cut" you get from multiple blades.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    mickbrown wrote:
    To avoid bumps you want a single blade.

You need to avoid the "lift and cut" you get from multiple blades.

+1 Thats why I loved my DE razor, too bad you cant get single blade cartridge razors anymore. I was going to use disposables, but it just feels wasteful and most of them are 2 blade now.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ you need a sandwich razor like I use.

Even quality platinum-coated Wilkson Sword blades work out at less than 10p each, no-name brands are literally a couple of pence each.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    PBo wrote:
    PBo wrote:

7) tweaze eyebrows
    8 ) wax legs
    9) shape pub......

...so you have a really clean ar5e then?

nope but my right ear is minty fresh this morning. :lol:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Wow ! 3 pages on mens' grooming tips !
    Should have guessed - bunch of bike tarts ;-)

My contribution is this - use a proper shaving brush and shaving soap. It's sooo much better than anything that comes in a can. Plus, a good brush is made from badger hair, so you're encouraging environmentally friendly re-use of roadkill.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    What musks are people rocking?

I currently rock English Leather by Dana.

"English Leather Musk Cologne by Dana, English leather musk by dana was introduced in 1972 as a masculine scent. This manly scent possesses a blend of musk, and woods. English leather musk is recommended for daytime wear."

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_cid ... ducts.html

For romantic wear I like Monsieur by Dana.

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_cid ... ducts.html

I also like to use a liberal amount of Slazenger Sport talc. It can take up to ten minutes to apply.

:lol:
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131

I was always more interested in Blackbeard's Delight or London Gentleman. :D

I do miss the days when a heavy splash of Aramis or Insignia would have women swooning from the other side of wine bars (not that I was ever old enough to experience this but the advertising worked).
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    mickbrown wrote:
    Ideally - Taylor's Sandlewood Shaving Cream applied with badger brush, Merkur razor with Derby blade.

That's me on a weekend, since it takes a bit longer than a normal shave (what with going multiple passes).

When I have to be smart for work during the week I generally don't bother.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Shaving is for wusses...use an epilator lads :shock:

Seriously though even from a girls point of view for the legs, it has to be@

Hot Shower
    Nivea for Men Sensitive Shave Gel (I actually swear by the Nivea for Men products, the face wash is the only thing to have cleared my spots!)
    Mach 3 razor (women's razors are a waste of time to be honest)
    Baby Lotion for afterwards
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    I've not shaved since October.

Seems to be working for me...
  • mickbrown wrote:
    Ideally - Taylor's Sandlewood Shaving Cream applied with badger brush, Merkur razor with Derby blade.

It's the business but takes a while so most mornings its the Sandlewood cream and an old fashioned Sensor or a Wilkinson Sword disposable which is just as good.

These 4 or 5 blade monstrosities wreck my skin. Used to use King of Shaves, but this cream stuff is miles better. Like night and day.

+1 to the cheapo disposables. The Mach 3+ and the like used to give my delicate, sensitive skin no end of a rash with their multi-bladed nonsense (I even had one which had a battery which made it vibrate as it shaved :shock: ). A nice bristle brush made from badger, a cheap disposable (my current favourite is "Blue" something or other), and a bit of moisturiser afterwards.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    mickbrown wrote:

It's the business but takes a while so most mornings its the Sandlewood cream and an old fashioned Sensor or a Wilkinson Sword disposable which is just as good.

These 4 or 5 blade monstrosities wreck my skin. Used to use King of Shaves, but this cream stuff is miles better. Like night and day.

+1 to the cheapo disposables. The Mach 3+ and the like used to give my delicate, sensitive skin no end of a rash with their multi-bladed nonsense (I even had one which had a battery which made it vibrate as it shaved :shock: ). A nice bristle brush made from badger, a cheap disposable (my current favourite is "Blue" something or other), and a bit of moisturiser afterwards.

I resort to the Bic Disposables if I wun out of blades for the Mach 3. Needless to say 'someone' isn't happy when I nick his razors. :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Electric for me as I reeally can't be arsed with all that faffing around with soap.
    When I can be bothered that is, generally it's stubble.

A word on beards though:

Trim a beard : fine
    Don't trim a beard : fine

grow a beard that involves shaving some parts of your face and not others: stupid
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    whyamihere wrote:

Well yeah, but you've not hit puberty yet, so you don't count :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    whyamihere wrote:

Well yeah, but you've not hit puberty yet, so you don't count :lol:
    Jealousy is a terrible thing old timer. ;)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Peripherally related, but those using safety razors can sharpen them on an old pair of jeans:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-extend-the-life-of-your-Razor-Blade-keeping/

I've been scratching the same old blade across my not-particularly-hirsute chin for 6 months now, and it's not yet made of ribbons...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Perhaps Sir would consider the following?
    http://www.thechap.net/content/section_ ... oming.html

FWIW I use the Philips/Nivea thing, and can't get as close with a wet shave as I can with that. But then I haven't been wet shaving for very long and I'm a not very hirsute 20-year-old so...
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Quattro

Body shop shave cream applied with brush
    Body shop after shave balm at end
    Shave at night not in morning, better for skin

Source: sensitive skin (delicate flower, you see)

Moisturise after, none of these totally rubbish 'face protector' carp that you see marketed at men, far too heavy, use Olay.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    After years of skin problems caused by shaving and going through all solutions from old-skool to electric shavers, to prescription creams I have had no probles with the following:-

Wash face and rinse in warm water.
    Clinique Cream, not gel.
    A Mach 3 is fine but any other similar will do.
    Shave in the direction of growth.
    Rinse using cold water.
    Apply Clinique Post -Shave Soother.
    Do not put after-shave smellies on your face. I realise that you would think that that is what they are designed for but they murder sensitive skin.

Clinique may be expensive but it works (for me), you only use a little at a time and it lasts for ages. If you have not tried it and are still having trouble, surely you are worth it? :wink:

To those that can get by with a blunt bread knife, lucky B'Stards!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.