Renfrew Ferry Glasgow we need to keep this open if we can

13»

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    mzungu74 wrote:
    Oh dear..
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8473322.stm

The Renfrew Ferry is historically and environmentally hugely important. It is by far the safest crossing over the Cyde upstream- the Clyde Tunnel is downright scary.

I'm a big fan of the Ferry and gutted that it will be withdrawn...understand that it is loss making but so are many many other things in this country!

Signed the petition, joined fscebook....what next?!
    M74
    Yeah it was on the TV news last night. Hopefully the publicity from that will bring more support to keep it going.

btw When I read the M74 in your post I thought you were talking about the motorway :oops:
  • suzyb
    The ferry is definitely closing now. Was just on the news again, last crossing will be March :(
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    I have been on that ferry it's very handy if your wantin to head that part instead of taking the long road for a short cut .. .

What do you expect from, transport excutives that are fukin clueless and don't give 2 fk's and neither does the local MP's or the local Council elect
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    There's hope yet, folks!
    Four private operators are in talks about providing a replacement service for the Renfrew Ferry, which will sail for the last time on March 31 after almost six centuries. ...
    Looks like you are too late with a campaign, Wallace1492 ...
    ... Ms Alexander and Mr Sheridan met SPT chairman Alistair Watson in advance of the meeting that sealed the fate of the ferry. They handed over a petition with almost 3000 names calling for the service to be maintained. ...
    More via the link.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • suzyb
    Anyone see the news tonight.

They're talking about replacing the ferry with an amphibious bus (run privately).
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    The bus looks great, and has been tested over the last few days.

But I must say, I don't think it will be taking cyclists from one side to the other, can't see how you could get your bike on and off it easily.

I use the ferry just to get from one side to the other, as does many other cyclists. Maybe there will be provision for just the river crossing, I do hope so.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"