“I know my body, I have mastered it"

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2010 in Pro race
So says my favourite pointy headed German

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/2778/ ... cling+News)

Bit early to be that light but hey, what do I know
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    One to watch in Paris-Nice. Maybe he's trying to point out that he might be a promising German rider but he sure ain't Jan "another portion bitte" Ullrich.

No wonder Aldag's worried. If Martin gets any lighter he might be very useful up the hills which would be useless for Columbia, they need all their riders to work for Cav.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    D'ya think we're going to get a spate of stories like this from TTers, in the post wiggins-success year?
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    teagar wrote:
    D'ya think we're going to get a spate of stories like this from TTers, in the post wiggins-success year?

I suspect a whole slew of testers have to be thinking along these lines
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    To be fair, Tony was known to be able to climb before Wiggins was.

Pre-last years Tour people were already talking about him as a possible grand tour winner in the future.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • teagar
    iainf72 wrote:

Pre-last years Tour people were already talking about him as a possible grand tour winner in the future.

Agreed.

He does have a rep for being a bit on the larger side off season though,no?
  • mididoctors
    maybe he will pull it off
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Kléber
    Surely not at Columbia? He was reduced to working for Cav in the Tour last July.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    teagar wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Agreed.

He does have a rep for being a bit on the larger side off season though,no?

According to cyclesport his nickname in germany is Der Panzerwagen.

I thought he was a stick, but the profile they did on him painted him as some kind of muscle man.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    Surely not at Columbia? He was reduced to working for Cav in the Tour last July.

hmmm maybe your right OTOH

but if he follows and tucks into the wheels of the front gruppetto and is just there at the end of the day?

I can imagine him, "sent" on days out in the mountains to soak up the points from Thor et al? which hincapie's aging legs couldn't do last year....
  • Kléber
    Yes, but he's too good to serve as a points mopper for Cav. Besides, with Martin up the road, the likes of Astana, RadioShanty and Saxo would start chasing.

Anyway, no one masters their body, especially an athlete, you need to work closely with it. What's the betting he gets tendonitis next week? :twisted:
  • teagar
    I have to say, beyond his palamres, I've never really been impressed when I've watched him.

Never particularly sets me alight like Andy Schleck did/does.

As a result my gut instinct is to not rate him < which of course is totally wrong!

*sigh* I seem to be having a big love-in with Saxo riders at the moment!
  • a german track coach told me last month that T.M. has more watts than Cancellara and weighs almost the same and is flexible but his genetics mean he has more bulky muscles and has a less efficient CdA. (more drag when he TTs)

was he in white in last years tour? youve got to be good to have that,
  • teagar
    a german track coach told me last month that T.M. has more watts than Cancellara

:shock:
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Perhaps Tony can share his dieting secrets with Assan Bazayev
    wxpl0q8386_600.jpg
    That's proper off-season form.
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    Yes, but he's too good to serve as a points mopper for Cav. Besides, with Martin up the road, the likes of Astana, RadioShanty and Saxo would start chasing.

true true but that works for cav

what HTC Col don't want is a soft break with a few green point rouleurs in it.. if le shack rides everything down and neutralises the breaks.. fine

Anyway, no one masters their body, especially an athlete, you need to work closely with it. What's the betting he gets tendonitis next week? :twisted:

well yes but who would have thought that skinny guy at roubaix was going to raise a few eyebrows come july

I suspect it won't pan out for Tony but who knows
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Cancellara?? He's huger than Martin surely?? Thunder thighs is Cancellarra.

Does anyone know who is the Astana chap in middle shot above. He looks as though he's been following the same diet programme as me. That belly is almost "Ullrich"esque. It's a beauty!!
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • maltiv
    maltiv Posts: 34
    Kléber wrote:

hmmm maybe your right OTOH

but if he follows and tucks into the wheels of the front gruppetto and is just there at the end of the day?

I can imagine him, "sent" on days out in the mountains to soak up the points from Thor et al? which hincapie's aging legs couldn't do last year....

In an interview with Zabel concerning their focus on the green jersey this year:

"I told them, 'Our biggest chance to get on the podium in Paris is not in the general classification but with Mark in the green jersey,'" he said yesterday. "So for 2010 let's give up our other ambitions and put all our energy into it." As a result André Greipel, the team's other star sprinter, will be asked to work for Cavendish in the lead-out train, while team-mates who would normally be expected to contend for the general classification, such as the brilliant young German rider Tony Martin, will be expected to nullify the efforts of other green-jersey contenders to compile valuable points from intermediate sprints in the mountain stages, where Cavendish cannot compete.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/ja ... -de-france

What a huge waste of talent that would be...
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Does anyone know who is the Astana chap in middle shot above. He looks as though he's been following the same diet programme as me. That belly is almost "Ullrich"esque. It's a beauty!!
    -Jerry
    That's one of Kazakh's famous sons, Assan Bazayev.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Agreed.
    And I'd love to see them pull out all the stops to allow Cav to get green, but I am concerned that
    a) HTC-Columbia are putting all their eggs in one Manx basket
    b) they've already lost EBH because he felt he wasn't being given enough chances
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Perhaps Tony can share his dieting secrets with Assan Bazayev
    wxpl0q8386_600.jpg
    That's proper off-season form.
    Shiiiiiiite! Can he come back from that this season? If he can there's hope for me yet!
  • He looks like the team sponsor getting his moneys worth.
    Dan
  • Kléber
    Kléber wrote:
    Told 'ya :wink:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/martin- ... ason-start
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Told 'ya :wink:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/martin- ... ason-start

Ha! :lol: