Would a Giant Trance X or a Reign...

JumperSimon14
JumperSimon14 Posts: 284
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Which of these two types of bikes for suit Derbyshire or Welsh trails ect?

Thanks

Simon
Giant XTC 2.5 '08
Felt Virtue 3 '10
Giant Defy 2 '11
Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
Fit Team Park Bmx '08

Comments

• Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Both? Either? Neither?

Depends what you're going to ride and how hard you're going to do it. The Trance is plenty of bike for most "normal" riding but the Reign is pretty good if a bit heavier.
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    Trance X works well for me in Derbyshire.

The reign has the extra travel, and is a bit slacker I think for going down the hills but heavier than the trance for going up.

I think a Trance with a travel adjustable 140mm fork would be perfect, and is my aim :D
  • Trance X rules, especially with U Turn Revs.

Unless you're doing heavy duty stuff, I'd say Maestro is such a good system that 5 inches is all you need ( Oo-er missus) so get a Trance X.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I've got an old Trance (2007) with Pikes. Good fun play bike.
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    Reign no question, only a little heavier and the slacker head angle and increased travel will make it alot faster on descents, i am a little biased i currently have a trance X and have WRECKED it on welsh natural trails etc etc. In the long term the reign is WAY better less costly repairs (slightly more robust) and it will give you somthing to 'grow into' as you progress your riding.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    DEFO Trance X
    Reign is over kill for trail centres, its more of a free ride/ Dh bike, although they have lightened it up a lot in last couple years. However the Trance is a proper trail bike and designed for what you want to ride and should climb a lot quicker, the Trance will also handle light DH and free ride so i would go for it.
    I just been out riding DH on my old Trance with mates on Orange fives, we did a little bike swap and each had +/-'s but the Trance held its own for sure
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    rhyko7 wrote:
    DEFO Trance X
    Reign is over kill for trail centres, its more of a free ride/ Dh bike, although they have lightened it up a lot in last couple years. However the Trance is a proper trail bike and designed for what you want to ride and should climb a lot quicker, the Trance will also handle light DH and free ride so i would go for it.
    I just been out riding DH on my old Trance with mates on Orange fives, we did a little bike swap and each had +/-'s but the Trance held its own for sure[/quote
    No way unless your really smooth you will wreck the trance, its just not strong enough ive buckled both wheels just from little drops (4-5 foot) and rocky descents it aint up to it, then again your probably smoother than me
  • rhyko7
    Phonk7 wrote:
    rhyko7 wrote:
    DEFO Trance X
    I just been out riding DH on my old Trance with mates on Orange fives, we did a little bike swap and each had +/-'s but the Trance held its own for sure[/quote
    No way unless your really smooth you will wreck the trance, its just not strong enough ive buckled both wheels just from little drops (4-5 foot) and rocky descents it aint up to it, then again your probably smoother than me

to Phonk 7:
    i said light DH / free ride, i think the old Trances are sturdie built than the new ones tho, but Giant tend to put crap components on there lower range bikes, i aint got much original stuff left on mine from the original 2007 trance 3-it looks more like a 4X bike now lol, if you land a 4-5 foot drop sideways most wheel would buckle dude. the frame is solid man-ive caned the hell outa it-on the US forums people have raced four cross seasons on them-mine has been fine down rocky decsents
    A reign is definately over kill for trail centres-its half way to a DH bike, another bike the

what model /components do you have.
    check out link below in avatar on pink bike to see mine.

p.s i aint so smooth :roll: lol

To The OP
    U should consider is the Specialized Pitch-perhaps a bit more travel than the Trance and may be a little better for Knarlier stuff.
    I have just looked at Giants 2010 bikes comapring a TranceX2 to the Reign 2, i cant believe how light the new Reign is :shock: -i want one now, its 1.5-2 lbs lighter than my Trance.
    If you dont ride DH or anything too Knarly go for the TranxeX which is a seriously quick bike and will easily handle trail centres, however if you ride free ride and Dh too, you may aswell get a Reign, bit heavier and slower but will take more of a beating and soak up knarlier terrain. or the spesh Pitch and Orange five are somewhere in the middle between them along with the Trek fuel etc.

my riding:

• Thanks for your thoughts on both bikes. I probably should of mentioned viat i have an XTC already so i think i'll be going for a Reign unless somebody can give me a definate reason for not. ↲↲Thanks↲Simon
    Giant XTC 2.5 '08
    Felt Virtue 3 '10
    Giant Defy 2 '11
    Giant Terrago Disc '07 - Convereted for CX
    Fit Team Park Bmx '08
  • rhyko7
    Thanks for your thoughts on both bikes. I probably should of mentioned viat i have an XTC already so i think i'll be going for a Reign unless somebody can give me a definate reason for not. ↲↲Thanks↲Simon

im thinking thats best if ya already have an xc bike, theres a lot that can be done on that Reign and i cant believe how light they are now :lol:
    if you wanna climb quicker just pump the shocks up harder or adjust pro pedal and use the lock outs :wink:
    i kinda want one but i like the little Trances throw around ability, its like a big BMX to me-if i was to get another bike it prob would be an Anthem tho, then ide trade the trance & HT in for a reign

my riding:

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I recommend the giant reign 2010 models, they are all mountain, so they can handle almost anything, i wouldn't recommend Pro DH coarse on these though, because you need a DH for those. Giant reign will handle anything you want to do though
  • rhyko7 wrote:
    im thinking thats best if ya already have an xc bike, theres a lot that can be done on that Reign and i cant believe how light they are now :lol:
    So does this mean your opinion on the matter has changed?

I'm looking to get in FS at the end of this summer, I ride trail centres 90% and I have a few bikes on my shortlist: Trance X2, Reign 1, Lapierre Spicy 514, Zesty 516 and Intense Tracer VP frame.

I like to go down fast and I'm not one for sprinting up climbs as fast as possible, but anything that makes it easier is welcome, so I'm thinking Tx with 140mm fork on would be a great mix of the two.

Unfortunately, the only one of the list I've ridden is the Tracer, that wasn't in the setup I would have myself, and it's as much for the frame as the end of year price for the complete Giants. The only reason it's on my list is because, from the currently available frames/bikes, it's my dream one and I've been collecting bits on my HT to transfer over when I get one. (Fox 36, Pro2/Flow wheels, drive train).

Obviously I could sell the above, buy a Tx and be much better off financially than if I bit the bullet and built up my dream bike now, but I'd probably wish I'd gone for the Intense. Knowing me though, if I got the Intense I'd think "why did I spend so much on a bike?" It's a lose-lose situation!

Sorry for the long post and the hijack, but this thread is pretty much my quandary as well and the Reign/Trance points have helped me decide how much travel I actually need for my riding. If anyone has any opinion on any of my points I'll be grateful for the input.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Got the 09 Reign when it first came out, changed the fork to a Lyrik (own preference) and its a fantastic bike. Handled all the abuse I can give it in the Peak district and the Lakes.
    Put the Lyrik on mine as its a stiffer fork then the original Fox and I'm a heavy lump. Lighter riders wont have the problem I wanted to overcome. Best bike I've bought, climbs well (although I dont! :lol: ) and descending the likes of Jacobs, Rushup Edge, Suicide Brake and the Beast etc has been a blast. 8)
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 wrote:
    So does this mean your opinion on the matter has changed?

I'm looking to get in FS at the end of this summer, I ride trail centres 90% and I have a few bikes on my shortlist: Trance X2, Reign 1, Lapierre Spicy 514, Zesty 516 and Intense Tracer VP frame.

I like to go down fast and I'm not one for sprinting up climbs as fast as possible, but anything that makes it easier is welcome, so I'm thinking Tx with 140mm fork on would be a great mix of the two.

Unfortunately, the only one of the list I've ridden is the Tracer, that wasn't in the setup I would have myself, and it's as much for the frame as the end of year price for the complete Giants. The only reason it's on my list is because, from the currently available frames/bikes, it's my dream one and I've been collecting bits on my HT to transfer over when I get one. (Fox 36, Pro2/Flow wheels, drive train).

Obviously I could sell the above, buy a Tx and be much better off financially than if I bit the bullet and built up my dream bike now, but I'd probably wish I'd gone for the Intense. Knowing me though, if I got the Intense I'd think "why did I spend so much on a bike?" It's a lose-lose situation!

Sorry for the long post and the hijack, but this thread is pretty much my quandary as well and the Reign/Trance points have helped me decide how much travel I actually need for my riding. If anyone has any opinion on any of my points I'll be grateful for the input.

My opinion on the matter has kinda changed when i realised how light the Reigns have become and noticed he already has a bike for xc
    when i bought my trance 07 the trances were weighing in 27-333lbs and the Reigns were over 35 lbs
    Some people may disagree with me here but i think for the Welsh trails centres 120mm travel is spot on (any less and its a bit rough, any more is just a bit wallowy), the problem comes when you want to ride DH on the same bike, i really didnt like 100mm forks that come on mine so i put fox 130's on and its so much nicer to ride.its nowhere near a DH bike but you can ride DH on it. The new Reign would probably cruise around a trail centre fine (not as quick as a trance) but would blow the Trance away on a DH track.
    So it depends on what you ride and what bikes you already own.
    Personally i have a crap HT that falls apart every time i take it offroad and a good old reliable Giant Trance. However what i really want/need is a Giant anthem for xc & enduro racing and a Reign for everything else thats a bit too knarly for the Anthem.
    if i get a decent job i think thats what i will do, but skint at the moment

my riding:

• gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    got a trance x0 (08 model), been fine in the dark peak, brecon beacons and plenty of trail centres. its built fairly light and i've had no issues with breaking anything (although im not heavy at 12 st). if you didn't have the hardtail i would say get the trance as you can do pretty much anything on it. with owning the ht id be tempted by the reign x (this way your covering both ends of the scale with a good covering of everything inbetween)
    if you can,try them to give you the best idea of what you want.
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se