Etape Logistics

Snoppy
Snoppy Posts: 37
Hi there.

I have got myself a entry for the 2010 Etape du Tour and know how to get there as I did the Etape in 2008.

The only problem that I have is getting the car to La Mongie the day before the Etape and getting transport back to Pau. I understand there is coach services this day back to Pau does anyone know how I book a place.

On the day of the Etape my partner will have to get to La Mongie from Pau without a the car. So what I am looking for is transport to La Mongie ie Taxi,Bus Train anything or even a lift! hireing a car is not a option. Our tour company French Cycling Holidays can not provide a lift sadly.

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Sorry, probably a daft question, but does your partner not drive?
  • Snoppy
    Snoppy Posts: 37
    popette wrote:
    Sorry, probably a daft question, but does your partner not drive?

No it is not a option sadly.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    found these two bits of info - not sure how useful. You can get bus from tarbes to la mongie but I can't find a train that goes from pau to tarbes. But there must be a transport link between these two cities.

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Images/Midi_Pyr ... 17708.pdf#

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1 ... enees.html

In the past, I went on a supporters package to the etape. My husband did the ride and the tour company drove supporters in a bus from the start, stopped along the way to watch for a bit and then dropped us at the finish. I actually had my car with me so drove behind the bus. The bus had only a couple of people on it. I'm wondering if it's worth contacting other tour companies to see if you could pay for a spot on a bus? - I went with cyclomundo that time and I know that sports tours also do a partner package. You don't want the full supporters package, just a ride on their bus. If public transport doesn't work out, perhaps it would be worth a shot.

The other option is to keep a look out on here for others who are taking partners - perhaps your partner could pair up with someone. Or perhaps your tour company may be able to help pair your partner up with someone else? I know on my first trip out to watch I did offer a lift to someone (although they didn't take it in the end) - perhaps someone out there would do the same for your partner.

Good luck!
  • My friend and i were contemplating driving to La Monge on the 16th with the bikes, then cycling back to Pau. Not sure of the distance or the route but it doesn't look too far on the map. It would need to be a very leisurely ride so i'll need to check a route and terrain etc.
    Music and Bikes and Alligators
    http://www.richsemple.wordpress.com
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    The bus from finish to start village works well. You can normally buy a ticket in the start village.

There will be parking at the start village so you can even drop the bike there and cycle vack to your accommodation once returned by the coach.
    Rich
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    If you need to buy a ticket for the Etape shuttle get there early - I noticed last year that they sold them all very fast.
  • My friend and i were contemplating driving to La Monge on the 16th with the bikes, then cycling back to Pau. Not sure of the distance or the route but it doesn't look too far on the map. It would need to be a very leisurely ride so i'll need to check a route and terrain etc.

From memory, La Mongie is only about 3k from the Tourmalet summit. It might be an idea to head up and over, the descent to Argeles - Gazost is a real blast and lets you see the climb you'll be tackling on race day. If you give yourself time to find it, there's a disused railway line, now a cycle track, that runs from Argeles - Gazost right into Lourdes, which is better than the main road. From there you have about 40k to Pau on the D940 and N117, the first 25k, of which, has some climbing (not that an 'Etapiste' will mind) but not much. The N117 is an easy spin into the city, but a bit busier.
  • I am hoping to enter this year. may be staying in Lourdes. Does anyone know if it is possible to take a train from Lourdes, with a bike, to Pau on Etape day?
    Anyone going willing to share arrangements at all e.g. travel etc?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    On Etape day? Probably not. You'll want to be in your start pen for 6am (6:30 at latest)
    Rich
  • Thanks for the advice - the logistics are proving to be a real headache.
  • I have the same problem. I was planning to do the Etape with a friend who had to pull out for health reasons so have now to change all my plans.

Pau is full, Lourdes is an option but then how do you get to Pau without having to cycle.

So far, I have decided to drive to France...