Fignon update

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2010 in Pro race
Things not sounding good. Laurent has said "we've not figured out a way to fight my cancer"

It's spread into his lungs now.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    awful news...
  • Anyone who speaks French should read L'Equipe's article on this:
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves20 ... rison.html

In short, yesterday Paris Match (a french current affairs magzine - you can buy in WHSmith) printed an interview with Fignon.

Quotes standing out to me were
    "After the TDF we saw the 1st round of chemo didn't work"
    "I don't want to die at 50, but if it's incurable what can i do? I love life. But i don't fear death"

I can't think of a sadder ending to this man's great story, i know he's not dead but i'm sure you know what i mean. A true legend of the sport, and a cracking TV commentator too!
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    What a very mature attitude - he's one of the riders who has given me the most pleasure to watch and his commentary is exemplary. I'm glad he's facing the future with dignity.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Apparently the disease started in his lungs, although they first discovered it in his pancreas.

It's uncomfortable getting medical bulletins, it's surely more private and personal information but he was probably the first rider whose photo I cut out of Winning and stuck to the garage wall above my bike so I suppose following the sad news is even worse.

doddy178: yes, his TV punditry is excellent, informed stuff but with a sense of humour that works well on long stages.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    That's bad news, let's hope they find a successful way to fight it. I have fond memories as a kid of watching him in yellow in the early 80's and it was his adventures that got me in to cycling for sure.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    :-( what awfully sad news...Fignon, was my absolute hero growing up. Life seems unfair..the good guys get taken young
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Dave_1 wrote:
    :-( what awfully sad news...Fignon, was my absolute hero growing up. Life seems unfair..the good guys get taken young

I thought you didn’t like dopers.

Not saying he was a bad bloke – he definitely was a great rider and him, Hinault and Delgado made for a very interesting era.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    I wish him well.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    The prognosis sounds grim, but what a noble attitude.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    micron wrote:
    What a very mature attitude - he's one of the riders who has given me the most pleasure to watch and his commentary is exemplary. I'm glad he's facing the future with dignity.

Very sad this situation with LF and i wish him well but knowing he was a doper does that change your perception of him as rider ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Hey guys, I can see where you're coming from but with all due respect, don't you think that you could at least show some respect for the point of the thread?

Perhaps have a go at Dave-1 another time or by PM?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • dave_1
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Hey guys, I can see where you're coming from but with all due respect, don't you think that you could at least show some respect for the point of the thread?

Perhaps have a go at Dave-1 another time or by PM?

+1
  • dave_1
    How is Fignon? Hope he is fighting on.
  • Kléber
    He's on his third round of chemotherapy but with mixed results, as much as he tries to fight the illness, it has taken hold and is proving hard to get rid of. He had to miss Paris-Nice this year, normally he'd be commentating for the French TV.
  • dave_1
    Kléber wrote:
    He's on his third round of chemotherapy but with mixed results, as much as he tries to fight the illness, it has taken hold and is proving hard to get rid of. He had to miss Paris-Nice this year, normally he'd be commentating for the French TV.

cheers Kleber, keep hoping poor Fignon will defy the odds. A 3rd round of chemo sounds quite grim. Fingers crossed for him
  • Kléber
    Apparently an English translation of his biography is coming out this summer, it should be a good read. Fignon has firm views on things and doesn't hold back, this isn't the "I attacked and was pleased to cross the line in first place" style of sports biography, it's got a lot of personal insight and honest tales.

On MG's point about being a doper, he was at the lighter end of the scale but as he said in an interview, he was lucky in that he had the talent to win without these things, plus by the time he joined Gatorade and everyone around him was using EPO, he was on a fat contract and had nothing to prove so he said "no" to the team doctors.
  • dave_1
    Kléber wrote:
    Apparently an English translation of his biography is coming out this summer, it should be a good read. Fignon has firm views on things and doesn't hold back, this isn't the "I attacked and was pleased to cross the line in first place" style of sports biography, it's got a lot of personal insight and honest tales.

On MG's point about being a doper, he was at the lighter end of the scale but as he said in an interview, he was lucky in that he had the talent to win without these things, plus by the time he joined Gatorade and everyone around him was using EPO, he was on a fat contract and had nothing to prove so he said "no" to the team doctors.

I can't wait to read it. That would explain some of his decline after 1991 where he rode a decent tour and yet by 1992 and 1993 was autobus material a lot of the time like Lemond, and even Hampsten weakened in 1993, Rincon and Meijia never seen again by mid 1994 , weird names coming and going, Poulnikov, Jaskula appear and vanish, Dojwa never fufilled after 1993, Bowmans, Van Hoydonk too. I sometimes think Bugno stopped using in 1994 as his GT GC form dropped suddenly, never returned but his one day form was still good.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Fignon's book sounds very interesting. Let's hope he's still with us when it's published in English.

I think Bugno's GC problems were more to do with his head. Was there ever a rider so full of self doubt?