bikes that defined the all mountain category?

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah yes Cannondale. Always were a big innovator in the MTB world.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i think that this thread is proving that its dificult to pin point the reall start of All Mountain bike, those GT's certainly started the whole multi perpose one for all bike thing, but many other bikes have progressed it, made it what it is today, pioneered ideas, and opened minds, i recon that the enduro has done alot for the whole all mountain idea, but im pretty fitm in the beleif that the 46 was the first, real, light, tough, clever, and truly go anywhere bike, when it was launched in 93 it was revolutionary, a testament to its success was that it was only finished in 07, and during that time the only change it received was a slight geo reveision. the enduro however has undergone geo, travel, and entire concept changes over the years, it has been totaly redesigned more times than i can count......
    so, as far as i can see:
    the GT's started tha concept, bikes from people like canondale and spesh progressed it, and the 46 took it to the next level, opening the way for the bikes of today, and in recent years the enduro, ransom, genius, remedy, and various others have progressed it further, and realy opened it up to the behemoth of bike design it is now.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So the answer is the Zaskar!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    the 06 spesh enduro and the origanl heckler, maybe even the orange patriot. plus on the subject of cannondale, anyone seen the feature in MBR about their S.I.M.O.N forks???? they say that battery life is the only limiting factor, but surely its just a like a dynamo, ie could use a similar system to charge it????
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    raleigh grifter
    all the hard-core bike you ever need back in '79.

:lol:
  • Unarce
    Unarce Posts: 16
    Wow...seeing the STS brings back a lot of memories! Whenever I see one on craigslist, I almost want to buy it just as a novelty.

I agree...the Zaskar/Xizang were pioneers for bikes that DO-IT-ALL.

My all-time fav:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010807104112/www.litespeed.com/html/off_road/kitsuma.html

Wish they had made more! :(
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    supersonic wrote:
    So the answer is the Zaskar!
    got it in one!
    :lol:
    ss has the incredible ability to bring any topic on any type of bike for any use around to the old zaskar.......
    dont blame him though, its a truly phenominal bike and story.
    I like bikes and stuff