What handlebars

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
If I was to purcahse a new handlebar (I would prefer Deda to match the stem) but am open to other suggestions, what should I consider?

I'm thinking around the £50 - £70 price point.

Was also thinking Carbon wrapped... though the stem isn't.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Depends on what style of drops you're after really.
  • DonDaddyD
    I want to say compact drops.

But I think you need to enlighten/educate me
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    I'll leave that to Sheldon

Personally I like anatomic drops - currently Deda Newton (deep drop).

No point in getting carbon wrapped ones, or carbon ones for that matter. Alu can be just as light, and crucially is more likely to a survive crash without failing, potentially leaving you able to continue your ride (if practical).
  • DonDaddyD
    Thansk
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    Why do you want/ potentially want new bars?

I take it this is for the commuter
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The Deda Newton's get great reviews and are supposed to be super comfy. I was going to get them before I managed to grab the Zipp Carbon bargain from Planet X (now finished!)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I just got fsa compact drop wing pro for £44 on merlin. They are nice. Shallow drop so I will use the drops more.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'll leave that to Sheldon

Personally I like anatomic drops - currently Deda Newton (deep drop).

No point in getting carbon wrapped ones, or carbon ones for that matter. Alu can be just as light, and crucially is more likely to a survive crash without failing, potentially leaving you able to continue your ride (if practical).

+1 for alu. It is worth going to your LBS and asking to try different style of bars to get a feel for them, and get the right width too. If you are sprinting, for example, you want to make sure that they bars do not hit the inside of your forearms.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I can see the sound reasons for avoiding carbon bars - I'll add difficulties with clip on tri-bars into the mix. Saying that, if you aren't planning to race and aren't planning to crash then they do look very nice, and can be incredibly comfy. I'll throw Easton EC90's into the mix.

If you just want basic Deda alu, I have a spare set of big piegas.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Deda Sfida

They are carbon wrapped aluminiun with an anatomic shape. They go well with the Deda Elementi Carbon stem.
  • il_principe
    MatHammond wrote:
    I can see the sound reasons for avoiding carbon bars - I'll add difficulties with clip on tri-bars into the mix. Saying that, if you aren't planning to race and aren't planning to crash then they do look very nice, and can be incredibly comfy. I'll throw Easton EC90's into the mix.

If you just want basic Deda alu, I have a spare set of big piegas.

I've never been planning on crashing - but that doesn't make a lot of difference!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Fair point - let's just say some types of riding you are putting yourself more in the line of fire! I wouldn't fancy going balls out racing a carbon frame never mind a carbon handlebar, I save the carbon bike for solo riding, sportives etc. If I ever get properly into racing I'll definitely stick with alu.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Deda Newton Shallow
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    Deda Newton Shallow
    +1
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I have these on my £2,000 Focus, and they're a brilliant shape - I bought one for my other bike but it was slightly too small (mistakenly went for 40cm instead of 42cm) so I sold it to LiT, who I believe also really rates them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/FSA_O ... 360036373/
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    rjeffroy wrote:
    Deda Newton Shallow
    +1

+2
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    gabriel959 wrote:
    rjeffroy wrote:
    Deda Newton Shallow
    +1

+2

+3
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • the ritchey carbon evolution sl handlebars are really good....absorb the bumps nicely and oval shape so really comfy...highly recommended
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Get what feels comfortable to you - not what someone else tells you will be comfortable. Go into the shop, hold them, decide what you like.

Personally I get on well with round bends - my bar of choice is the PRO PLT. I tried the compact drop PLT briefly but didn't get on with it at all.

I had a 3T anatomic bar that was probably the only anatomic that has worked for me, loved it until I bent it in a crash. Currently have a Ritchey anatomic on the CX which I find awful.

I quite liked the feel of the Stella Azzurra bars - but for me the PRO kit edges it.