Yaaaaay it's raining!

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I had to tell you lot that here, in Essex, it's raining! Yaaaaaay!

This means the snow is melting! Which means i can go out on my bike! So what if it's also really very foggy, I don't care, I'm taking the tifosi out.

Yaaaaaaaay!

That is all.

:D

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Yeah it was proper tipping it down when I left this morning (I don't think I'm a million miles away from you...). The snow was rapidly becoming slush, so hopefully it'll be clear by hometime :)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    :D Enjoy.

Possibly the first post ever to combine "it's raining" and "yay" in a non-sarcastic manner ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107
    I had to tell you lot that here, in Essex, it's raining! Yaaaaaay!

This means the snow is melting! Which means i can go out on my bike! So what if it's also really very foggy, I don't care, I'm taking the tifosi out.

Yaaaaaaaay!

That is all.

+1 same in madrid
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Snowing here this morning.... but turning to rain.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:

Possibly the first post ever to combine "it's raining" and "yay" in a non-sarcastic manner ;)

I thought the same this morning... my tyres were grippy... imagine
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I thought the same this morning... my tyres were grippy... imagine
    I might have , too, if the roads last night hadn't been dry and ice-free. As it was I thought 'b$gger' ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The problem is: in my experience the coldest weather tends to hit at the end of January / start of Feb... so let's hope it doesn't soak the streets and then turn to ice even worse than it is now.

Sorry to put a (ahem) dampner on things.... :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Back on the road bike for my commute this morning - heavy rain and flooded roads but if felt great!

Into double figures now for wet commutes which isn't bad in 21 months!!! :D
    Still breathing.....
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Still on the studded MTB here in Manchester....black ice everywhere !
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Snowing here this morning.... but turning to rain.
    Still snowing here and making the road, which was slowly being cleared of snow by the car tyres slippy again :(
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    i was happy cos im trialling several flavours of 'waterproof' overshoes......today it was soaking and it was bbb ultraflex day. Anyone looking for perfect winter overshoes....your search is over ...and i ran 2 miles in them and not a sign of wear on the sole...its thick reinforced rubber! My feet we damp from sweat after the puncture induced run, but outside of shoes bone dry. Destrooyed two pairs of the dhb rubbish in 10 rides! The bbb heavy duty are very good but dont run around in them unless you turn the nose up!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I was actually happy when I saw it was raining the other day, first thoughts 'Ooooh I can go out on the bike on friday now'

I have a new saddle to wear in, so good oppertunity

tis all good :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    The problem is: in my experience the coldest weather tends to hit at the end of January / start of Feb... so let's hope it doesn't soak the streets and then turn to ice even worse than it is now.

Sorry to put a (ahem) dampner on things.... :?

I agree. what we've just had was an anomalous event - somehting to do with a kink in the jetstream I understand.

Once normal weather resumes - expect it to get colder through late Jan early Feb.
  • Pretty messy with all the meltwater - a few drains blocked around Twickenham, but it was a balmy 4C here. Spring is upon us, the nights are drawing out, I counted seven rabbits running around in the back garden, and completed my first sequence of 3 rides this year without a vist from the PF 8). I was getting worried that I'd stolen ITB's crown...
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Most of the snow had gone on my way in today :lol::lol: There were a few interesting moments in Greenwich park where it hadn't melted all the snow/ice on the bike path which resulted in a wet/slushy slippery as hell mess, or maybe I was just being a big girl :shock: How I managed to recover from at least three, two wheeled slides I'll never know, I must be a bike handling god :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Pigeons have started their spring time hanky-panky routine round here (sarf london), so it must be spring.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Are you lot mad?! there's still inches of snow here and a thick blanket of fog, plus it's bloody freezing cold, that said I'm hoping to commute for real tomorrow.

Slowly
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    You Londoners and your tropical microclimate ;-)

There's 6 inches of slush in my road. With car tracks right through to the road in places. When it freezes it's going to be highly entertaining !

My snowman's melting too :(
    Misguided Idealist
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    hambones wrote:
    Back on the road bike for my commute this morning - heavy rain and flooded roads but if felt great!

Into double figures now for wet commutes which isn't bad in 21 months!!! :D

:twisted:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    wyadvd wrote:
    i was happy cos im trialling several flavours of 'waterproof' overshoes......today it was soaking and it was bbb ultraflex day. Anyone looking for perfect winter overshoes....your search is over ...and i ran 2 miles in them and not a sign of wear on the sole...its thick reinforced rubber! My feet we damp from sweat after the puncture induced run, but outside of shoes bone dry. Destrooyed two pairs of the dhb rubbish in 10 rides! The bbb heavy duty are very good but dont run around in them unless you turn the nose up!

Are those for fitting over Road or MTB shoes?

Look like just what I need.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • suzyb
    It's finally warm enough for it to rain an not snow. The snow is going away :D

And I can't believe I'm happy at seeing rain.
  • itboffin
    -null- wrote:

+1 although the slush can be tricky, just hope it doesn't freeze tonight.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • suzyb
    itboffin wrote:
    -null- wrote:

+1 although the slush can be tricky, just hope it doesn't freeze tonight.
    I'm just back from walking to the shops to get lunch and it seems to be more ice than slush :(
  • Well on my ride just now I rode down a lane that's often a bit wet and muddy. It was like a river. My feet were underwater for the entire bottom half of the pedal stroke.

:shock:

That's quite wet.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I haven't had a good ride in ages.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    edited January 2010
    Well on my ride just now I rode down a lane that's often a bit wet and muddy. It was like a river. My feet were underwater for the entire bottom half of the pedal stroke.

:shock:

That's quite wet.

:lol:

Must be time for the sandals :lol:

Edit: to make sense :oops:
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I've just been managed to make it into town, on my slick-tyred MTB commuter, for the first time since before Christmas ! Yayy ! I made it to the pub - and home - and only had to walk a a little bit because of snow.

( I did take the prudent approach and slope off home early in case the slush froze or something...)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Snowing here this morning.... but turning to rain.
    It was snowing again? I just woke up and looked out the window. Pretty much jizzed in my pants when I could see the grass and road! :twisted: Let's just hope it doesn't turn to ice like it had last week.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    My LBS will have fixed my back wheel by mid-day tomorrow - I reckon a thirty mile ride is on the cards after that. Right now I'm a bit pi55ed though, might be false confidence.