Recommend Courier firm for bike transport

GDBD59
GDBD59 Posts: 5
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hi folks, first post, if this isn't the right place, feel free to move it.

I've bought a slightly used Rockrider on ebay, about 280 miles away. I'll have to organise a Courier, can anyone recommend a company please?

Comments

• www.senditnow.com.

48 hr delivery £10.99

24 hr delivery £11.99

MUCH better than parcels2go who makes prices up as they go along.

Have used them 10+ times with excellent track record.

Maximum 30kg weight which is more than ample.

:D
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I'll second that, used senditnow.com a good few times now, collection from your door at a time to suit you, and great prices to boot. :)
  • I'll second the Parcel2go comment. I sent a road bike using them (via DHL) and they were brutal with it. It was well packaged and arrived with some small deep dings in the frame.

Pop in to your LBS or Halfords and get a proper bike box with all the packaging. Makes life a lot easier.
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    All the company’s quoted are independent so will have to use someone else’s network i.e. dhl or parcelforce etc. What you need to do is package bike properly in bike box just like you would if purchased from retailer then item will be fine, whoever you use.
    So Far!
  • GDBD59
    Thanks for the replies. :wink:
    The bike is assembled, & recent comms with the seller have been a bit 'iffy' & I doubt he'll want to dismantle it.
    It was advertised as "collection only" & there was the possibility him delivering, but that's not going to happen now.

I phoned "Send it now".......person answering wasn't sure if they'd send it intact, - got advice & said it has to be no more than 1.5m length. It's gonna be more......would it be within 1.5m with the front wheel removed?
    I might be able to get someone to pick it up & package it, but it would be a big favour & I would have to give him something for it.

Any other suggestions?
  • Beardface
    Front wheel off, saddle & seatpost out, and turn the handlebars sideways, better yet, take them off.. should be under 1.5M then.

To be fair, thats not much re-assembly, I'd be confident in saying anybody could do that.. 1 Allen Key and a few QR bits.. job done.

If needed, rear wheel out as well.
  • GDBD59
    Stav83 wrote:
    Front wheel off, saddle & seatpost out, and turn the handlebars sideways, better yet, take them off.. should be under 1.5M then.

To be fair, thats not much re-assembly, I'd be confident in saying anybody could do that.. 1 Allen Key and a few QR bits.. job done.

If needed, rear wheel out as well.

It ain't the re-assembly that's the problem.....it's getting the seller to do it that I'm not optimistic about.
  • Beardface
    Oops.. my mistake, I misread your original post, thought you were the one sending the bike!! :oops:

Apologies mate.. If he can loosen the stem a bit so the bars can turn sideways and remove the front wheel, you should be ok.. otherwise, if he's not willing to de-assemble at all, it could be a collection jobbie..

Or, try your luck... the courier never measured any of my items when they were collected.. (granted, they were under 1.5m, but you never know!)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I sent a bike for 8 quid with parcels2go. They must have changed things recently!
  • GDBD59
    supersonic wrote:
    I sent a bike for 8 quid with parcels2go. They must have changed things recently!

Was it assembled or packaged-up?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I packaged it. Was a couple of years ago though.
  • supersonic wrote:
    I packaged it. Was a couple of years ago though.

The average price is £20 now, and they are strict with the box size, whereas senditnow.com are kinda more relaxed..... and cheaper :wink: