Panniers

Aidy
Aidy Posts: 2,015
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Aren't they awesome? :)

Got (and used) a set yesterday. Most comfortable I've been lugging stuff around on a bike.

I've previously strapped old rucksacks and stuff to racks for touring duties, which does work, but I was suprised at how much more stable the load was, and the amount of heel clearance. Like. Lots.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Welcome to the world of panniers....

Though I had to adjust to get heel clearance, now fine.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Silly question but what's the difference between a rack and a pannier.
  • Wallace1492
    Rack is what you attach to bike - pannier is the bag that attaches to the rack. Panniers are designed to come off and on, rack is permanenty fitted, like mudguards.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Aidy wrote:
    Aren't they awesome? :)

Got (and used) a set yesterday. Most comfortable I've been lugging stuff around on a bike.

I've previously strapped old rucksacks and stuff to racks for touring duties, which does work, but I was suprised at how much more stable the load was, and the amount of heel clearance. Like. Lots.

+1
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Panniers are ace. Ortlieb FTW (sorry, couldn't resist the plug).
  • Panniers are great.

I am actually quite happy with the Basil one-piece cheap'n'cheerful ones on the tifosi or 'pub bike' at the moment.
  • Aidy
    Jamey wrote:
    Panniers are ace. Ortlieb FTW (sorry, couldn't resist the plug).

I've bought some karrirmor ones, which I'm plenty happy with.
    I was eyeing the Ortlieb ones though, especially because they come in orange. If Wiggle had had their 20% vouchers a week ago, I'd've probably gone with them.
  • Wallace1492
    Altura Orkney are fine by me, no leeks, even in the heaviest downpour.
  • Altura Orkney are fine by me, no leeks, even in the heaviest downpour.

+1.

No broccoli either.
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107
    i went for the carrodice sqr slim which isnt strictly a pannier but hangs off the seatpost. very happy with it so far. i kinda had a thing about putting a rack on the bike
  • Aidy
    teticio wrote:
    i went for the carrodice sqr slim which isnt strictly a pannier but hangs off the seatpost. very happy with it so far. i kinda had a thing about putting a rack on the bike

Me too. So I built another bike. :)
  • Couldn't agree more. I bought an Altura Urban dryline in November and wouldn't go back to a rucksack. Everything stays dry and there's no more tension in my back & shoulders.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Altura Orkney are fine by me, no leeks, even in the heaviest downpour.

+1.

No broccoli either.

shame on you
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    teticio wrote:

+1

I have had one of these for 18 months. It has been great so far - waterproof even in the worst weather and very tough. It's a pretty good solution if part of your commute is cross country.
  • Love my panniers! :D Can't imagine life without them. I can manage about 4-5 days worth of shopping with mine. Also very useful for my allotment and shops runs. How many of you shop with your bike? I dont have a car, so you can see why I love mine so much.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • Loving my new Ortlieb Office Pannier...it's the mutts nuts!

I bought it in Germany when I was over there with the Mrs for the Christmas markets. Went in a massive outdoor shop in Cologne and they had the full Ortlieb range...I was in heaven. Then I noticed that they done everything in Orange with a small shop logo in the bottom right hand-corner...and they were much cheaper than all the others, because of the advertising.

I got my my Office pannier for £70 which I think is pretty cheap.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I discovered panniers about 12 years ago and have never looked back. Everytime I buy a new one I make sure it's slightly bigger and better at keeping out the water.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Rack is what you attach to bike - pannier is the bag that attaches to the rack. Panniers are designed to come off and on, rack is permanenty fitted, like mudguards.
    aaaaah :oops:
  • Wallace1492
    -null- wrote:
    aaaaah :oops:

Don't ask, you don't know.... :)
  • I requested and received a pair of Altura Orkney 34 Panniers for xmas and today was the first cycle in with them. Very happy with them! They hold loads and have Rixen & Kaul Klickfix fittings which are very secure. I used panniers before which were bigger but dont have more room if that makes sense!
    Unfortunately they didn't stop me wiping out on ice on the commute this morning but they are undamaged at lease :)
    Guinness is good for you! Yeah when you drink it not the morning after