Helicopter tape and downtube

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Would people bother fitting helicopter tape to the underside of the downtube? I am going to put some where the crud catcher mounts but had thought about running it down to the bottom bracket shell.

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I can see the point at the crud catcher mount (if you don't have bottle bosses there) as the c-catcher tends to rub back and forth. In the past I've just used an old bit of innertube but I can see the benefit of h-tape there. Otherwise no, I wouldn't bother. I have 6 bikes and only put H-tape on the carbon one
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I put some on the downtube of my bike as I ride along a towpath that is surfaced with loose gravel so it stops the paint getting completely chipped away.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    I have helitape all the way down to my bottom bracket. It just stops that stray stone/ rock chipping my paint. If your going to use heitape you may as well put it whereever possiable. :D
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i completely helitaped my 456 frame.
  • I have my Marin frame heliptaped all the length of the down tube, the whole length of the top tube. The seatube and my fork lowers. As above, I hit some loose gravel on my local trails, and it can chip the fook out of your downtube.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    i completely helitaped my 456 frame.

may i see photos of it?

i put some on my downtube and sides of the headtube and few small strips to hold the cable protectors under the toptube.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Ive probably missed something here, but what exactly is helicopter tape?!

Cheers
  • i find if you keep your bike in the house and dont ride it at all , this does away with the need for using helicopter tape :lol: just joking, my new altitude is helicoptered all over, unfortunately i haven't ridden it yet because of the snow
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    Same for me. kitchen to finish and crap weather has kept my orange crush on the landing and box of heli tape in cupboard. :(