Chain breaking on a ride

3110neil
3110neil Posts: 303
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hello
Just a quick one ,if your chain breaks on a ride can you use 2 powerlimks ,in one chain and keep it like that or buy a new chain ,cheers

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Does it work?

If so keep riding.
  • Matt N
    Matt N Posts: 160
    the only thing you have to watch is if you chain gets too short you may put too much pressure on the rear deraleir, two should be fine though, you might like to change it if you get anymore. your chain shouldn't break this much though, its probably becuase your whole drivetrain is wearing you might think about changing it
    If calsberg made bikes... they'd probably be the best bikes in the world

’My Spesh’
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    2 links is fine, one of my bikes has been running a chain with two powerlinks for 6 months, no issues
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    If the chain is farly new then no problems. If it's an older chain I'd bin it when I get home.

If you lose one or more of the inner plates when it busts then when you rejoin it with the powerlink it will be shorter. Fine for getting you home if you avoid extreme gear combinations that have the chain running at an angle between the sprockets. if it is shortened bin and buy a new one.

Two other points, new chain may also show up cassette and chain ring wear (chain suck or skipping on a properly set drivetrain would indicate this) so you'll need to replace the worn sprockets and or cassette. The other thing to consider is what were you doing when the chain snapped. For example if you were in an extreme gear combo try and change your riding style so you don't use them in future, otherwise the same thing will happen again.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result