Heaviest Bike

mrc1
mrc1 Posts: 852
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
After renting an absolute beast of a bike last weekend in frankfurt, I thought I would see if I broke any records.

It was a Kettler City Shopper model, similar to the link below but a few years older, with a much heftier triple link rear "suspension" lay out that had more in common with a landrover.

http://www.spoke.co.uk/Kettler.htm

The bike also had a built in lock mechanism, pointless front suspension fork, standard full mud guards, massively over engineered braze ons for the included pump, two dynamos and three lights, an adjustable stem, in hub gears with coaster brake, some sort of schwalbe "puncture proof" tyres, a massive rear rack and a steel kick stand.

Having lugged this monster up the stairs to get it into my flat I decided to stick it on the scales and it weighed.......................42.5 Kilos!!!

So everyone please post the heaviest bike you have had the misfortune to own/rent/borrow and see if you can beat the above!

The rules are pretty simple, but for the avoidance of doubt the below do not count:

1. Standard specification bikes only - ie no additional weight included from panniers etc

2. The bike must be a normal bike - ie no three wheelers/electric bikes/your bike with a kids bike attached to the seatpost/tandems

I'm pretty happy that my nag is odds on favourite :lol:
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

Comments

• I think you've started and ended your thread right there!

I used to complain about my BSO mountain bike, and that was 18.6 Kg. I've since got my BeOne, which the listed weight was 9.3 Kg, precisely half :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I saw this heavy beast the other day, could barely lift it:

SNV31340.jpg
  • That is pretty awesome but it wouldn't surprise me if one of the various push irons used by the Swiss or Austrian army comes quite close!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I saw this heavy beast the other day, could barely lift it:

SNV31340.jpg

looks about 16 1/2 stone all together I'd say
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Urgh, look at the carpet!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Urgh, look at the carpet!

Nice try.

Is the floor reinforced? :lol::lol:
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Good God, I hope for your sake that Frankfurt was completely flat?

Think my last bike was 17-18Kg, I thought that was heavy! Though I suspect the new one is at least 12 maybe even pushing 15 now what with racks and guards and whatever else...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I don't know if I can beat the actual bike weight but I reckon that with everything taken into account I have the heaviest bike for daily commuting.

Here's what I'm riding on every day, as standard:

Bike itself:
    - Largest size (61cm) Specialized Tricross Sport Triple.
    - 700 x 32 Marathon Plus tyres.
    - Rigida Sputnik rim (pretty much heaviest 700c rim you can get) on rear wheel.
    - Rack and panniers, containing...

Right Pannier:
    - Largest orange Kryptonite D-Lock you can get (the extra long one)
    - Two cable locks, 1.8m each I think.
    - Puncture bag, with full-size chain splitter, multitool, three metal tyre levers and spare 700 x 32 tube.
    - Overshoes.
    - Mini track pump.

Left Pannier:
    - Jeans, T-shirt, pants and socks
    - Packed lunch in tupperware box.
    - Wallet, keys, phone, pass.
    - Assos cream.
    - Anything else (occasionally bring groceries home from work, and this morning brought my Park pedal spanner in for a mate to use).

So that's the bike weight every day. My weight is even worse, I'm massive and wearing a lot of layers at the moment due to the weather.
  • il_principe
    I must admit that my commuting bag often weighs more than my Kinesis SS commuter.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    mrc1 wrote:
    Having lugged this monster up the stairs to get it into my flat I decided to stick it on the scales and it weighed.......................42.5 Kilos!!!

Jeez, that's like, more than 2/3rds of my body weight.
  • mrc1
    Haha - the weight of the bike coupled with the dynamos had the top speed pegged at around 9-10mph!

Frankfurt's best bike however is:

http://www.bierbike-frankfurt.de/rund-ums-bierbike.html

A load of us rented this and it was brilliant fun in such a sombre city! 20 litres of beer, a driver and a pedal power bar! Brilliant fun!

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    sarajoy wrote:
    Good God, I hope for your sake that Frankfurt was completely flat?

If it wasn't to start with, then it would have been after that beast had flattened all the hills out!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    42.5 kg? Surely you mean pounds?
  • Jamey wrote:
    I don't know if I can beat the actual bike weight but I reckon that with everything taken into account I have the heaviest bike for daily commuting.

unless it's over 50lb it's not, big green is 50lb before I put anything in her....
  • mrc1
    supersonic wrote:
    42.5 kg? Surely you mean pounds?

No no, I mean KILOS!!!

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • supersonic
    This fella, though I'd only commute on it if I worked in a quarry and had to get to the bottom quickly, weighs...70lbs.

74434254_4b095c9ab8_o.jpg
  • mrc1
    supersonic wrote:
    This fella, though I'd only commute on it if I worked in a quarry and had to get to the bottom quickly, weighs...70lbs.

74434254_4b095c9ab8_o.jpg

Whack a couple of kilos worth of steel kick stand and a steel rack on the back and I might have a worthy challenger :wink:

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • supersonic
    Is quite an industrial looking frame!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    42 kilos!

and i thought my Tank was heavy.

pbpic3035447.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'm going to have to weigh my saracen, I think it might be made of pig iron. I can't belive I sold my old chromo tequesta and kept this one :cry:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I saw a fella today on Kings Road with two hard-case Samsonite suitcases attached to his pannier racks! And he was going at a fair pace, too.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    prawny wrote:
    I'm going to have to weigh my saracen, I think it might be made of pig iron. I can't belive I sold my old chromo tequesta and kept this one :cry:

Tee hee I have a saracen raw 3 aka the Beast II it's weighs in just over 35lb :shock: changing the wheels, tyres, BB, groupset knocked a couple of lb off, it's still a "Beast"

Oh yes the saddle as well, that thing was a boat

The newer version 2009 has better specs which frankly wouldn't have been hard
    prod_14127.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino wrote:
    I saw a fella today on Kings Road with two hard-case Samsonite suitcases attached to his pannier racks! And he was going at a fair pace, too.

Once up to speed I bet he can maintain it fairly easily - its breaking that might cause issues :)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • il_principe
    itboffin wrote:

prod_14127.jpg

vomit-smiley-31.gif
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    itboffin wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Tee hee I have a saracen raw 3 aka the Beast II it's weighs in just over 35lb :shock: changing the wheels, tyres, BB, groupset knocked a couple of lb off, it's still a "Beast"

Oh yes the saddle as well, that thing was a boat

This is my bad boy

DIRTTRAX_DISC.jpg

I doubt it's a heavy as your beast, it did nearly pull my arm out of it's socket when I was carrying it through the station on wednesday though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Mine's a hefty chunk too - no weight given on the tech specs (always a bad sign) its got hub everything, rack, guards silly rear wheel lock, suspension. It looks supiciously like the frankfurt ones but I'm pretty sure I'd be safe hidden behind it in the event of a small nuclear explosion
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

prod_14127.jpg

vomit-smiley-31.gif

I did try a sell it a while back, no takers and to be honest the groupset and upgrades will be going on to a new Kinesis frame ready for the Feb/Mar snow fall :shock: and more Ridgeway fun in the dry :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • supersonic
    Let's be honest, put an Orange sticker on iot and you could double the price and would sell instantly...
  • itboffin
    supersonic wrote:
    Let's be honest, put an Orange sticker on iot and you could double the price and would sell instantly...

That would be .... just wrong! :lol: