Shin splints

MountainPete
MountainPete Posts: 418
edited February 2010 in Health, fitness & training
I'm currently training for a half marathon at the end of Feb. I'm increasing my running distance quite quickly and my times are dropping, but I've noticed a pain in my shin which I've diagnosed as shin splints (had them before, so I know what the pain is like). It isn't too severe, just one of those nagging pains you know will probably get worse if you don't do anything about it.

I really don't want to stop my running training, so is there anything I can do to prevent the condition from becoming any worse?

Comments

• rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i have had them before, there isnt much you can do other than the basic RICE, just try and have a good few days off before the race, and dont do any long distance in the week leading up to it.

then never run again :lol:

i used to run a lot and endure the pain before i got into MTBing, i hardly run at all now because i just cant see the point of it, its just not rewarding to me.
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • rhyko7 wrote:
    i used to run a lot and endure the pain before i got into MTBing, i hardly run at all now because i just cant see the point of it, its just not rewarding to me.

I don't like running either. Mountain biking is a lot more entertaining. Gotta get used to it though!
  • Ibuprofen spray helped mine. Lots of ice too after training.

It's weird but I found my shins were worse training on a treadmill. Running outside was a lot better.

Do you have proper running trainers? Normal trainers won't do the job, proper ones make a lot of difference to cushioning etc.
  • Thanks EarlofBarnet. Yes I do have proper running trainers that are well worn in! As I said, the pain isn't agonising - I think I'm just going to have to ride it out for a bit.
  • Plenty of ice treatment, decent trainers (not too well worn). If you keep training through it you could end up with a stress fracture, so I would rest it for a while.
    Once you start again try running on soft surfaces as much as possible. Off road running is much easier on the body - and like mtb'ing much more fun.
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    ice treatment is only really for JUST after you've felt the pain. I've had shin splints since I started the crippling training that comes with rowing at university :(

The best thing is to go to a PROPER running shop and get some good shoes, I paid close to 100 quid for my current pair and you do actually notice a difference. Mine have more support on the inside because i roll onto the inside of my foot when i run, which puts stress on the muscle running down the front of the shin. Get them to analyse your gait, maybe look at getting some insoles made?

If you have to stop running for a bit to let your shins recover, then keep up your leg strength with rowing! Low-impact sports are where it's at.
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    More of a long-term 'cure' but I was told to strengthen my shin muscles - worked for me, though it took around a month for the pain to fully go away.

I did the exercise where you stand on a step (facing the stairs as if going up them), with your heels hanging over. Slowly raise and lower your heels. Repeat for 2-3 minutes.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    +1 for the proper running shoes, go to a reputable running shop and get a gaits analysis done. Also compression socks really help. I ran a marathon last year and had problem with shin splints when I first started training though found that building you miles up slowly, lots of rest, and the right gear cured me.
  • OwenBird
    OwenBird Posts: 210
    How is your stride pattern? I have found that landing heel first makes splints worse. Landing with a flat foot or slightly toes first feels weird, but at least it doesn't hurt!
    SOLD!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Have you had a gait analysis done? Often sorts uncomfortable running out.

To those anti runners - I find running and cycling compliment each other very well. You can also run anywhere with very little kit - hauling a bike around isn't always practical.
  • Shin splints:

- increasing mileage too quickly is an obvious one. No more than +10% increase per week, if you can manage
    - shoes should be not worn out. Rotate 2 pairs if possible, to allow the cushioning to fully recover after a run. Some advocate changing trainers after 500 - 600 miles. I tend to get 1000 miles out of each pair, but that's because I'm tight...
    - once you've got them, then RICE
    - ibuprofen gel is your friend
    -stretching helps a lot.

I've had them, and they are frustrating. They do disappear though. I've done lots of marathons since, without trouble. (best 2:58 last year. )
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    (best 2:58 last year. )

Beat me by a minute!