Spinning Classes or circuit training?

JayKingFunk
JayKingFunk Posts: 411
edited February 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Hi,

Since the dark nights have drawn in I've only been getting out on the bike at weekends. Night rides aren't really an option as I don't have the money to spend on lights and none of my mates have the guts to come out in the dark!

I've really felt the difference both in fitness and my clothes getting a bit tighter!

I've decided to start either a spinning or circuit training class one night through the week to make up for less time in the saddle.

Has anyone ever tried either spinning or circuit training before? Whats it like??

I basically want to loose weight and build muscle which is why circuit appeals to me but obviously being a cyclist the spinning sounds more like I'd enjoy it. I get the impression its more of a cardio-vascular workout where as I want to burn fat and build up strength on other parts of my body that cycling doesn't effect as much.

I've spoken to people on the phone at my local gyms/leisure centers and they've both said I'd need to speak to the instructors.

Anybody got any advice/experience of these types of classes?

Thanks in advance, J.
I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!

Comments

• rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    circuits are more fun/interesting but spin is probably better for your riding, do both, you could jump on an excercise bike for 40 minutes or so after circuits!
    i have done spin & circuit classes at a fitness 1st gym-i liked both of them but circuits are more challenging and interesting IMO
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • Thats the impression I got from the pictures!

Cheers!! J
  • Dwhit
    Dwhit Posts: 10
    I just got on the spin bike at my gym and whilst I can't compare spinning with circuits, you can get a great workout spinning.
    My gym stopped doing spin classes a while ago, but it is now being extended and they are returning.
    Not normally being one to join any type of class, I do intend to try them out.

I got some mp3 downloads for indoor cycling and found them to be great.
    You can do them anytime you like, and it's just like being in a class, but you are billy no mates.
    Dave W
    If you are of er, um, 'a certain age' like me, or want to lose weight or get fitter, you could find some tips at...Cycling For Fitness
  • both 2 days inbetween for recovery
  • I'd go for circuits to do general all-body muscle conditioning. This helps iron out imbalances from doing just cycling and cycling specific exercises. If you've got the time there's no harm in doing both, but with more circuit sessions than spinning. Both classes are excellent provided you have a good instructor. Have you not considered doing some weights as well? Another good class is Body Pump, which is aerobics with weights. This will definitely build up your strength.
  • I tried spinning and although lots enjoy it, I didnt.

I love MTBing, the thrill and adrenaline ruch I get from it. Spinning, I was sitting still and going nowhere!

I love circuits. A variety of weight training that does strengthern all parts of the body and has been of great help to me on the bike.

Best of luck either way!
    Trek Series 6
    GT Avalanche
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869
    I have put my turbo in a spare room to make up for the lack of real cycling as the times of classes can be an issue for me
  • I do both, spinning and circuits and you cannot really compare them. Spinning is a cardio work out and will improve the strength in you legs - its obviously good for cycling prep. It will depend on the instructor as to how good the session is - some prefer spints which is aimed at the roadies, where as some instructors prefer hill work, which is perfect for mtb. The classes are normally 45mins long which includes warm up and warm down. Circuit training is an all body workout and is great for general fitness. Be careful though some circuits are aimed at strength and not cardio. I go to a virgin gym where they run spinning sessions 5 times a week and have started a class called Nike training camp - circuit training - which is a 45 min workout and focuses on cardio and strenght which is brillant for cycling. I am also a member if British Military Fitness which is run by ex army pti's - 1 hours sessions at local parks and involves running, sprinting, legs, arms and sheer pain! Cheaper than the gym and more interesting!
  • Dwhit
    Did my first spinning class yesterday.
    It was a decent workout. I think the girl was pretty new to taking classes and think she will improve with time.
    I must admit I have done harder sessions with my mp3 downloads.
    Dave W
    If you are of er, um, 'a certain age' like me, or want to lose weight or get fitter, you could find some tips at...Cycling For Fitness
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Dwhit wrote:
    Did my first spinning class yesterday.
    It was a decent workout. I think the girl was pretty new to taking classes and think she will improve with time.
    I must admit I have done harder sessions with my mp3 downloads.

Turn the resistance harder ?
  • Dwhit
    Turn the resistance harder ?
    Being a good boy I followed the young lady's instructions and added resistance when told up to the point I could only just manage to pedal.

The workout I mentioned which was harder incorporated faster speed at high resistance.
    Trying to double the cadence at high resistance gets me every time.

Other than that the workout was ok and I am signed up for next week.
    Dave W
  • I do have some weights at home but I get really bored doing them, which is why I thought I'd try the circuit class!

Been mega busy all last month but am planning on going to my first circuit class next week!