Consumer Q - Bike tent advice

pintoo
pintoo Posts: 145
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all

I'm thinking of getting a bike tent as per: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... rd_i=typ01 because the missus is fed up of the folder being in the way.

The reviews are pretty poor for the Amazon option, though. Anyone got any pointers on what to get and from where? I'm not in the market for a shed as I only have a tiny garden anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I'm not sure that a big tent with the picture of bicycle on it is the safest way to store your prized possession .

Looks like a huge security risk to me.
  • pintoo
    It's a fair point, but the Boss won't have the bike in the house anymore and the garden's pretty well secured and hidden.

It's either the tent or the stamp duty and cost of moving house. (!)
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    What about something more sturdy and weather proof? Not particularly cheap though.

http://www.shedstore.co.uk/garden-stora ... nit-6-by-3

Alternatively if you were handy you could know up something out of wood pretty easily I reckon.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    No need to search for a cycle specific one unless you want to pay "the bike tax". there are many outdoor storage containers able to hold a few bikes like the one UndercoverElephant listed for a more reasonable price.
  • amnezia wrote:
    I'm not sure that a big tent with the picture of bicycle on it is the safest way to store your prized possession .

Looks like a huge security risk to me.
    I see your point, but as long as there was a decent anchor point to the ground or wall, and the bike(s) was attached securely, this might keep the worst of the elements off.

Alternatively, the thief might appreciate you giving him/her a dry shelter while they set about your lock :roll:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I find the best security method is to not let thieves know/think there are valuables present in the first place, Even if you do have a very good lock and anchor etc ...

Something looking like a storage box containing random garden tools and junk etc would be better than a tent with a picture of a bike on the front. IMO anyway.
  • pintoo
    Thank you all for your pointers. I think I will look into the Argos options - it probably is better not having a bike icon on the front!

Much appreciated, all!