one thing overlooked in the cav reports today

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited January 2010 in Pro race
"I made the mistake of putting national pride ahead of my career in the 2008 Olympics and I'm not going to do that again," he said.

you'd get vilified in any other sport by the national press if you said this, no need to read between the lines there

Comments

• teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    "I made the mistake of putting national pride ahead of my career in the 2008 Olympics and I'm not going to do that again," he said.

you'd get vilified in any other sport by the national press if you said this, no need to read between the lines there

S'why cycling's clearly a better sport...

It's not about who you ride for but how you ride.

Much more like it.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850

Plenty of footballers give up internationals to prolong their club career.

Strava is not Zen.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    calvjones wrote:

Plenty of footballers give up internationals to prolong their club career.

usually at the end of their career though - not the start !
  • calvjones
    Good point. However, as long as he's in GB colours for the 2012 Games and comes in 1st all will be forgiven. Lets be honest, if he did ride the Commonwealth Games he'd be in Manx colours anyway, so not even a Brit.

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    In football you could compete multiple times per year in a national team. In cycling it's once. 5 times every 4 years if you did the road race in the Olympics and Worlds.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • bennj
    bennj Posts: 76
    calvjones wrote:
    Good point. However, as long as he's in GB colours for the 2012 Games and comes in 1st all will be forgiven. Lets be honest, if he did ride the Commonwealth Games he'd be in Manx colours anyway, so not even a Brit.

I thought in the commonwealth games we competed as england scotland wales etc..?

Also if he would not even be a brit when representing the Isle of Man why is it he is a GBR cyclist?

Just wondered :wink:
    STOP!......... Carry on!

Roadie FCN 2
    when commuting FCN 5
    MTB FCN 10
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    bennj wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

I thought in the commonwealth games we competed as england scotland wales etc..?

Also if he would not even be a brit when representing the Isle of Man why is it he is a GBR cyclist?

Just wondered :wink:

He won a Gold Medal at the last games

cavendish_3.jpg

I suppose IoM just counts as another bit of Britain, like the Channel Islands.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    All part of the British Isles, none part of the political entity that is the UK; Channel Isles are Crown Dependencies and IoM has similar protected-but-separate status. Think Queen is head of state there?

There must be some agreement that lumps these islands in with GBR (which should properly be UKR of course as NI cyclists can also ride for GB)

Strava is not Zen.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They also left out that Cav left Melissa for 'other' reasons and his new lady is just a front to cover for him. I submit my evidence -

p1120111web_600.jpg
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    NapoleonD wrote:
    They also left out that Cav left Melissa for 'other' reasons and his new lady is just a front to cover for him. I submit my evidence -

p1120111web_600.jpg

lmao - classic
    cartoon.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Reading between the lines, isn't he basically hinting that he's won't ever ride for Sky unless they build a team around him, like Columbia, (and pay him loads)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    calvjones wrote:
    There must be some agreement that lumps these islands in with GBR (which should properly be UKR of course as NI cyclists can also ride for GB)

That's why the Olympic team is called GB & NI, not just GB.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Even if he'd won, he'd have a gold for the Madison. Nice but go on, name the winner from 2008...

...Exactly :wink:
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    funnily enough i was just reading about the madison stuff in his autobiography and, though its just one side of the story, it does appear that the preparation for this event is not at the same standard as others, maybe he just thinks if they cant be @rsed why should he?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    GavH wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

That's why the Olympic team is called GB & NI, not just GB.

As is the case for all Olympic sports, Northern Ireland cyclists have the option of riding for the Irish team or Team GB. Most choose to ride for the Irish team as they have a better chance of selection.
    www.dotcycling.com