borrowing a roadbike for London to Brighton ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hi lads,

Anyone got anything more suited to riding the L2B than my Super4 ?

I've been roped into it and worst case scenario i'll fit road rubber and do it, but would prefer something a bit more suited.

Any chance of borrowing something ?

please :)

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Lol, you should be fine on the Super4, when I did it in 08, I was on my kona jump bike (although I geared it for that), and my mate used his SS jump bike, another used his Mount Vision.

The majority of people were on BSO's and similar, I saw a few recumbents, and a lot that made me think :shock:

Next time, I want to give it a crack on a Penny Farthing.. :lol:
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Hi Weeksy, I did the LTB last year on a rigid MTB with slick tyres, it was fine. just lock out the forks and pro-pedal the rear shock to max. The pace is so slow at times you wonder why it isn't a walk so no need for a racy road bike. One tip, if you haven't already booked, go for an earliest start time you can manage to reduce the amount of other riders, always look over you shoulder when pulling out to over take, and always make yourself known to anyone you overtake - there's lots of very inexperienced and quite dangerous riders!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • weeksy59
    Just how many people are we talking ? will i not be able to do a 'proper' ride ?
  • Donnic
    Donnic Posts: 85
    Having done it 2 years in a row, I can say.. Although there are quite alot of people. Once you get out of London, and barring the few hilly/false flat sections. You can have a decent ride. Just as MacandCheese said. Keep an eye over your shoulder, lots of overtaking/stopping without warning.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    The ride is open to about 27,000 people, but something like 40,000 apply. If you haven't already applied, you might not get in unless you're affiliated to a charity ride.

You see people doing it on all sorts of "bikes" (using that term very loosely for some of the machines!), although 'd suggest doing it on something you're familiar with.

Leaving London, Ditchling Beacon and getting into Brighton can get very congested, so keep an eye out!
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    I did the ride last year. I found it a painful experience due to the congestion.

I think I started at 8. Had to walk up most hills due to the number of others walking. I think it was about half way before I could get any decent cycling in. Most annoying.

A couple of non cycling friends did it on MTB with slicks and completed it, got up Ditchling Beacon and really enjoyed the day.

I will not be doing it again.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    matterai wrote:
    I think I started at 8. Had to walk up most hills due to the number of others walking. I think it was about half way before I could get any decent cycling in. Most annoying.

Yeah, that's about somes it up for me, started at 8.30 though. I'd definitely do it again, as there are some nice bits of road that you can really fly down if you stick to the right hand side without worrying about cars.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    edited January 2010
    as there are some nice bits of road that you can really fly down if you stick to the right hand side without worrying about cars.

There certainly were and some you could do yourself some serious injury on coming off down.
  • weeksy59
    Sounds like my idea of hell lads.. thanks :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you can borrow my allez.
  • Beardface
    It's a good laugh if you make it that..

I didn't have too much of a problem with congestion though, and I left at 9.. I just stuck to the right most of the ride, and filtered through the slower riders, letting them know I was coming through. (We did get stopped for an hour as somebody had a very bad accident, but it was all good for us, as we were stuck behind a group of lycra clad ladies, which made it bareable!!)

Come to think of it.. theres a good enough reason to do it!! :lol:

As for the descents, agreed, I saw one fella (roadie I think) wrapped up in a fence, covered in the red stuff.. he was being treated by medics though, so I carried on.. just be very careful of other riders and what they're doing.. as said above, there are a lot of people who do the L2B that don't ride too often, so you have to be really aware of your surroundings!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's a good laugh if you make it that..

Agreed. If you want to go and ride 60 odd miles fast, go and do that. Enjoy the L2B for what it is, a good day out. Stop at the BBQs, pubs etc and just enjoy the day out.

Most of the hills are totally jammed with the shear volume of people, and keep your wits about you, there are some proper numpties out there!
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    is that the BHF ride? do the south downs way instead- less people, more off road!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Beardface
    Thats a good point... BHF now do the London to Brighton (or similar, not sure where it starts, but it finishes in Brighton), but off road.. saw a few guys doing it (they were near to the Surrey Hills, so still had a fair way to go), they were loving every minute, and it seems a lot less congested.. I think there were about 750 people rather than 27,000!

Could be another option Weeksy? I'll definitely be looking into that.. its a bit longer, and obviously, a bit more of a work out, but 100% suited to your Super 4 mate!

Edit: http://www.bhf.org.uk/events_and_volunt ... ps=1000673 << thats the one!
  • weeksy59
    Anything seems like an option compared to that hellish sounding ride :)

Thanks for all the ideas boys.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I watched a bit of it at Lindfield - saw someone doing the run on a unicycle - he had juggling battons too though he'd given up on them at that point :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    some friends did the london to brighton off road- thoroughly enjoyed it
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.