Back on my bike tomorrow....hopefully

soy_sauce
soy_sauce Posts: 987
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Last time i commuted by bike was before all this snow and ice.... probably a month ago...

finally i see some pavements and most of the road with no ice on my route and hopefully they all will be clear by tomorrow morning so i can get back to my commuting. :D

really worry about the way home as its all the way uphill dual carriage and I normally have to use the pavement for 200m until the cyclepath start which has been cover with ice for the past couple of week... :shock:

when have you got back on your bike since? or have you been bravo enough to commute throughout the bad weather?
"It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08

Comments

• soy_sauce wrote:
    Last time i commuted by bike was before all this snow and ice.... probably a month ago...

finally i see some pavements and most of the road with no ice on my route and hopefully they all will be clear by tomorrow morning so i can get back to my commuting. :D

really worry about the way home as its all the way uphill dual carriage and I normally have to use the pavement for 200m until the cyclepath start which has been cover with ice for the past couple of week... :shock:

when have you got back on your bike since? or have you been bravo enough to commute throughout the bad weather?

haven't stopped but my commute is short and fairly flat. so while has been a fair bit of sheet ice, it's be fine as long as taken carefully.

speed + ice aren't good.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    roger merriman, mine is also quite short compare to some of the people here.

only 2.8 miles. its downhill to go to work which is ok, but my rear disk rotor has been slightly bent so didn't want to risk it.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • smeev
    smeev Posts: 105
    I Havent been back on my spesh for about a week now, i went to work on it (3miles) on the first day before it snowed, possibly a week ago now. Like a dick i didnt check the weather forcast for the remainder of the day. it snowed really bad, & i fell off 3 times on the way back home, its not fun when you are cliped in, believe me.
    Special eyes 4 ever....
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I haven't been on my bike since before the snow. In fact it was before that as my Gran was taken into hospital so I was just too busy.

But I'm hoping to get back out by next week. Although our street is still pretty bad the main roads are clear. Now I just need to clear enough snow from the garden so I have some room to fit the gear I bought over christmas.
  • tifferz
    tifferz Posts: 43
    Last time I rode was when I came in to work between Xmas & new year. Really starting to miss the daily ride now.

Was hoping to get back on the bike tomorrow as it looked as though snow was clearing however black ice everywhere today & it has just started snowing again - getting really bored of this weather now, bring on the summer :(
    May the Forks be with you
  • soy_sauce wrote:

Yesterday was my first commute since the snow. Loved it! :D

Had to go slowly on Cable Street, though. Lane bit icy.

Tailwinds on the way back, awesome ride spoiled by some guy who was driving one of those white vans manufactured without indicators....! He almost hit me! :x

White stuff back today, so no cycling for me! :(
  • I haven't had a break except for a couple of days when it hasn't made sense due to where I was working and the logistics of getting showered & all that malarkey.

Beginning to feel it is wearing me down a little now though, left work way early today so I could at least see the snow & ice but still didn't really enjoy the ride. Most of it was through slush so not too dodgy or anything, just not _fun_. Going to cut the mileage back to 20 a day for the remainder of the week, see if that gets the smile back on.

I imagine Aberdeen is a whole different ballgame compared to Weston-super-Mare - Bristol though, good luck!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cycled every working day this year.. racking up the miles nicely too
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow as I'd like to keep the miles ticking along.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • soy_sauce wrote:

Yesterday was my first commute since the snow. Loved it! :D

Had to go slowly on Cable Street, though. Lane bit icy.

Tailwinds on the way back, awesome ride spoiled by some guy who was driving one of those white vans manufactured without indicators....! He almost hit me! :x

White stuff back today, so no cycling for me! :(

Same here - similar end of town. Hoping to get back on tomorrow as well.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Cycled through thick snow, ditched the fixed though, and grabbed the MTB. As the ice hit I fitted Schwalbe Snow Studs. Needed them on black ice this morning, and looking like it tomorrow.

I had three days battling through thick snow - was fun.