I have rust on my new bike

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Harry has been siting in a cage at work for a week after being riden on icey roads and now has rust on the pedals, chain and gear cog (thingies). Is this normal, what can I do to get rid of it and prevent it?

Comments

• Self-flagellation is your main option. That and perhaps cleaning your drivetrain, make sure you re-lube well after both activities.
  • 7 hail mary's, no booze for a week as penance and you must buy us all a round at the morpeth for letting him get in such a state.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    moonio wrote:
    Harry has been siting in a cage at work for a week after being riden on icey roads and now has rust on the pedals, chain and gear cog (thingies). Is this normal, what can I do to get rid of it and prevent it?

It's normal if you ride on gritted roads and then don't clean & lube your bike.

Oh the shame.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    damn salt is a bike wrecker.

I have serious corrosion on both bike drive trains now. My MTB chain has dies about 500 miles sooner then expected after using it through the snow all last week.

Trick is keep it clean and keep it lubed. Unfortunately I just don't have the time in the week to keep up with the maintenance
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You left a poor defenceless new bike outside.... in this weather? :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    itboffin wrote:
    You left a poor defenceless new bike outside.... in this weather? :?

Wot he sed.
  • nyanza
    nyanza Posts: 68
    My MTB chain has dies about 500 miles sooner then expected after using it through the snow all last week.
    Were you using it through the wettest November on record, and over December which was also massively above average?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    [Smug] No rust on my chain even after trailing it through snowdrifts on Sunday :wink:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    nyanza wrote:
    My MTB chain has dies about 500 miles sooner then expected after using it through the snow all last week.
    Were you using it through the wettest November on record, and over December which was also massively above average?
    I used mine during November and ended up with rust on it :oops:

Kinda hard to maintain a bike when it's raining outside and you've no room inside :(
  • moonio
    Ok I'll try to give him a rub down with snow and get some more oil/lub...Do I have to do this every time I ride and its been snowing??? :roll:
  • In weather like this As good as I can do is a quick squirt of WD40/GT whatever when I get in, a swift wipe down after I have showered & defrosted, and a better clean & lube at the weekend.
  • moonio
    Ok, I have some GT but have heard it removes lub as well as crap..
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I think if you use GT (which I have as well) or WD40 you need to re-lube afterwards.

I used a cheap toothbrush to get rid of some rust that had appeared on my chain, just gave it a brush and it got rid of the rust. Then I re-lubed although I'm not sure whether I put enough on.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    moonio wrote:
    Ok, I have some GT but have heard it removes lub as well as crap..

Just get an old tea towel and stiff brush and give the chain a really good wipe down - ideally until no more gunk is coming off. Then lube with proper bike lube, leave for a few hours or overnight, wipe thoroughly, lube again, wipe off excess and you're done. Aim to do this once a week in the winter and it will help. May seem like a faff but it's better than having to buy new parts every winter!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    nyanza wrote:

thjis is true but I always clean and relube it right away. The salt and other crap from trhe road and no time to clean when I get home is the issue mostly. I can actually see the condition of my chain getting worse day by day :shock:
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • In weather like this As good as I can do is a quick squirt of WD40/GT whatever when I get in, a swift wipe down after I have showered & defrosted, and a better clean & lube at the weekend.

yes but what do you do to the bike?
    <a>road</a>
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I wouldn't recommend this for a good bike BUT.....! I recently fitted a new chain to the Hybrid/MTB commuter, a nice KMC job, ow shiny! anyway few weeks into Jan and the weather has taken it's toll, said chain has been sporting a growing orange crust :oops:

Being lazy I took it off this afternoon, dumped it into a jar of 'white spirits' shook lots and lots then left for 15 mins, rubbed down and dried off, respray in teflon.

Looks like new :D frankly if it squeaks it's not going to make a different over the noise of those tyres.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Rust - like herpes for bikes. :(
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    My new MTB transmission was already sporting a certain orange tinge at the weekend, after being ridden into town through the salt 'n' snow.

After Sunday's complete cleansing with fresh, virgin powder snow, when I got home I hosed the bike down and applied lots of WD40 to the whole transmission.

When I next get to see the bike in daylight, and before using it again, I'll wipe it all down and relube with proper winter lube.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Rust is good, because it means there is steel there, not some new fangled metal like aluminium or worse carbon !!!! Not on chains though.
  • ACF-50 will sort out all your rust issues

8)