build, buy or upgrade?

dbargna
dbargna Posts: 9
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
hello, I would like a new bike for commuting to work, pulling the kids' chariot and trailgate. My current MTB is nearly dead, and as I now reach middle age I realise I could really do with a more sensible bike with larger wheels, better gear ratio, mud guards and racks. I have a top end budget of around £500, but obviously if I could get something cheaper the better.

Browsing around the interweb I found the 2009 Dawes 501for £450ish which I quite like the look of and the 2009 Kona Smoke for £250ish which I also like. I also found a new Dawes 701 frame for £30.

So the advice I'm looking for is should I just buy new good spec bike like the Dawes, should I get a good lowerspec bike and up then up the spec, like the Kona, or could I and should I try to build a bike. If I go for the build a bike route would it would out roughly the same cost as Dawes? I have about a month or so to kill before I start my next job so time is not really a problem...

thanks d.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    are you capable of putting a bike together? it's fairly simple you just need to get all the parts

Basically if you have the time and the inclination get the parts you want... £30 for a frame does sound awfully cheap (stolen/broken?) so you could get some pretty decent kit with the rest of your cash

but there's no warranty so if anything goes wrong it's down to you

otp will give you a cash safety net if you will
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Hi, I really enjoy tingering with bits and pieces, so I dont think I'll have a problem putting a bike together. The Frames are all new and from Bankrupt stock http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/bankrupt-surplus/ This guy also has lots of component parts. I guess it would be wise to put together a list of components and prices and see how it stacks up.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    dbargna wrote:
    ....as I now reach middle age I realise I could really do with a more sensible bike....

Why? I'm all but 50 and I'm about to buy my first MTB.

Remember that a hybrid is exaclty that - a mixture of roadbike and MTB so although they'll do some off roading and have road-like ratio's they leave you feeling slightly let down either off road or on. I have an old 501 (1999 model) and I'd suggest rather than a hybrid, and assuming you want a road emphasis to your cycling, try either a flat-bar road bike (I think the Specialized Sirrus takes panniers and guards) or perhaps a "fast" tourer.

Alternatively, and the route I'm looking to go, have a look at something like the latest Cannondale "Trail SL" MTBs (or =). They take panniers and guards and there's a 29" wheel version if you want something with larger wheels. At least Trek and Marin offer similar models - there's also Edinburgh cycle's own variant if there an EBC near you.

Regards

Bob
  • cheers for the heads up bob.. 90% of my cycling will be on the flat cycle tracks to and from work. I'm looking for something fairly quick and sturdy to attach all bits and pieces. My weekend cycling will be done with the kids who are only 5 & 3, That Cannondale does look pretty nice though. I'll take a wander over to EBC and see what they have.