Wheel change: Slicks for MTB wheels

marcpmusic
marcpmusic Posts: 3
edited January 2010 in The workshop
I have just purchased a Marin Novato, which has slick tires. I havn't been very confident in the snow/slush and ice riding on slicks to work, so last night I decided to change the wheels to my mountain bike wheels ( from my Marin Nail Trail) so that I'd have better grip and a feel safer with more contact with the ground.

This morning I had problems witht he gears having a mind of their own and not shifting correctly.

My question is, can I rectify this simply or is this an inherent problem when trying to use a MTB wheel that is for a 27 geared bike on a 24 geared bike rear mech etc.

I guess it might be something to do with the cog spacing or number of cogs?

Thanks

Marc

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so you have a shifter with 9 gears and a cassette with 8 gears. will not work.

change the cassette over so it matches the shifter and you will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Cycling on ice, best of luck.

HAKKAPELIITTA W240 47/50-559 26" studded winter tyre for touring bikes Very durable steel studs with carbide pin (240 pcs)
    Nokian Bicycle tyre

Nokian Extreme 294 Studded Mountain Bike Tires - 26"
  • nicklouse wrote:
    so you have a shifter with 9 gears and a cassette with 8 gears. will not work.

change the cassette over so it matches the shifter and you will be fine.

the shifter on the Novato is 8 gears and the cassette on my MTB wheels is 9 gears, I thought the gearing system would not use the 9th gear when using that wheel and would be ok.

Think I might just get some MTB tires to fit the original wheels until better weather appears.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the 8 and 9 and not compatible as the cassettes are the same width but there is an extra gear in the 9spd.

unlike the 7 and 8 spds where the cassette is wider on the 8 spd so what you suggest works. you just dont use the last click.

so in this case swap cassettes or tyres.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    nicklouse wrote:
    the 8 and 9 and not compatible as the cassettes are the same width but there is an extra gear in the 9spd.

unlike the 7 and 8 spds where the cassette is wider on the 8 spd so what you suggest works. you just dont use the last click.

so in this case swap cassettes or tyres.

Not to mention the fact that a 9 speed chain is narrower (and less chunky) than an 8 wich will also add to the incompatibility.

BTW, even if you swap like for like (ie 8 speed for 8 speed or 9 for 9) the difference in the amount of wear in the chain and casettes may also cause the chain to jump.

Bob
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why not just swap the tyres over?

Mind you, I'm not sure you'll find treaded tyres better except in snow. I think where ice/slippiness is concerned it is better to have the constant contact you get with slicks.
    Faster than a tent.......