marmotte route

bobhitch
bobhitch Posts: 87
A couple of us are planning on doing the marmotte route ,but as we want to be in Morzine for the tour on 11th july we can't enter the event itself.
Is the route ,which I believe is a fixed randonee, well signposted and should it be easy to follow just taking a map or is it best to upload a gps route for the ride as we dont want to waste to much time map reading.I haven't looked into it in great detail but assume that bourg is the best place to stay for the couple of nights we'll be in the area.

Cheers Bob

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    It's a pretty simple route involving about 5 right hand turns...you may also be able to follow the painted route arrows on the tarmac at junctions which should still be fresh from the event.
    Half man, Half bike
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 493
    There is the potential to go wrong on the descent of the Glandon/Croix de Fer too, but some analysis of a map beforehand should minimise this. Keep going down and turn right up the Maurienne is the basic rule, but as Kingston says, not onto the autoroute !

Oh yes, and when you see the sign that says Galibier is 34km (and over 2200m of climbing) away....that is correct :D
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    For me, the only thing is to make sure you get the right road up the Maurienne valley, that you avoid the motorway and other roads. This is an ugly road at the best of times, done in the Marmotte and in a bunch of riders it is ok but by yourself you will be on a fast dual carriageway.

Watch out here if you are using a GPS, with so many fly overs, unders and parallel roads it is easy to get on the wrong one. We did, even with a GPS, partially because we couldn't believe we were meant to go on the "motorway". As has been said, it is an unpleasant stretch of road. This was a few days before the Marmotte, got it right on the day.
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    And don't take the short-cut through the tunnel near the top of the Galibier :lol: . You'll be tempted at the time but I'm sure you're not allowed to
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    why can't you do the real thing and see the tour?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog2,
    I've got a chalet in morzine , so we want to tie in the trip to the alps with ' le tour' the weekend starting 10th July, taking the week off before wouldn't fit in with family life!!