How is everyone finding the roads

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I haven't dug the shed out the snow yet to get the bike out but have noticed a lot of repaired potholes have opened up due to the freezing weather. In fact a couple of roads have had every repair done in the last year undone because of it.

What are the roads like for everyone else. Or are they still too snow covered to tell :P

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Same as usual, rough as and full of potholes
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    open the door and there they are :roll:

sorry, I'll get my coat....
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Main ones in London are fine. Some of the back roads round my house are still nasty as they get no sunlight and very little traffic.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    -null- wrote:
    I haven't dug the shed out the snow yet to get the bike out but have noticed a lot of repaired potholes have opened up due to the freezing weather. In fact a couple of roads have had every repair done in the last year undone because of it.

What are the roads like for everyone else. Or are they still too snow covered to tell :P
    Through Edbug city centre, they are truly cavernous.

I've been using the mtb for a couple of weeks, but the off road routes are passing through a slushy phase that is too tricky for my bike handling skills. So tomorrow I am likely to be back to the normal bike and the normal commute. I will be on the look out for new and suprising pot holes, for sure.
  • A few made me swear out loud tonight, the ones I didnt spot because of the snow and the lights from oncoming traffic. Really jarring.

Noticed a lot of yellow spray paint marking future repairs on the main road between Portishead & Clevedon - can't wait - it is disgraceful. A mate who drives it daily has just had £400 worth of suspension work done, the garage that did the work pretty much explicitly blamed it on potholes.
  • suzyb
    A few made me swear out loud tonight, the ones I didnt spot because of the snow and the lights from oncoming traffic. Really jarring.

Noticed a lot of yellow spray paint marking future repairs on the main road between Portishead & Clevedon - can't wait - it is disgraceful. A mate who drives it daily has just had £400 worth of suspension work done, the garage that did the work pretty much explicitly blamed it on potholes.
    I had a spring on my car go last year and the mechanic said they got a lot of similar problems. It's been mentioned in the local paper as well.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Noticed a few more big potholes which have opened up in the last few weeks on South East London's already pockmarked roads.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A few made me swear out loud tonight, the ones I didnt spot because of the snow and the lights from oncoming traffic. Really jarring.

Not fair to call it disgraceful yet - the roads have only just cleared and I suspect the council workforces have other things on their minds. If you want a Scandinavian style of public service, you have to pay for it. We don't, sadly.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

Not fair to call it disgraceful yet - the roads have only just cleared and I suspect the council workforces have other things on their minds. If you want a Scandinavian style of public service, you have to pay for it. We don't, sadly.

No, the holes, and the spray markings have been there for as long as I have been commuting, so since the beginning of August at least. Did you think I meant the council had been out spraying repair marks since the start of the freeze?

Anyway I stand by my statement, the state of the road IS disgraceful.
    For much of its length the first metre from the gutter is unusable.

I don't ask for a scandinavian anything, I lived 12 years in Germany - their level of service would do very nicely thanks.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No, the holes, and the spray markings have been there for as long as I have been commuting, so since the beginning of August at least.

On that basis, yes, disgraceful! I did think you meant that the post freeze craters should have been fixed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    This weather does create potholes, there are several absolute whoppers on my route that have appeared over the last week, a national phenomenon:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8454514.stm
  • Rolf F wrote:
    No, the holes, and the spray markings have been there for as long as I have been commuting, so since the beginning of August at least.

On that basis, yes, disgraceful! I did think you meant that the post freeze craters should have been fixed.

To be fair I did come across a bit Daily Mail...

I am sure nobody in the council goes to work with the intention of allowing potholes to proliferate.

I am no engineer so I am talking out of my hat, but I would have thought that banging in a bit of hardcore & tarmac to effect a temporary repair would be better than leaving the things to join up into one big 21 mile long trench?
  • suzyb
    I am no engineer so I am talking out of my hat, but I would have thought that banging in a bit of hardcore & tarmac to effect a temporary repair would be better than leaving the things to join up into one big 21 mile long trench?
    That's what our council did to the main road however the recent weather has lifted all these repairs so the road is in as bad a state as it was before they repaired it :roll: