What is a realistic mountain?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Okay... work are starting a "Climb a Mountain" thing and I'm thinking it would be a useful way to set a target for getting fit again now that I'm finally able to start commuting into work again.

I'm going to be doing approximately 10.5 miles each day (depends on which route I choose)

So if I set a MONTHLY target, what is reasonable?

Given that 21 miles a day equates to 525 miles month (given 25 working days a month) would a target of 500 miles a month for EVERY month be a good target?

Am I aiming too high or too low?

I will be getting weekend 100K rides in when my fitness and the weather improve so there will be the odd 60 milers being chucked into the pot as well.

What do people think?
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Not a bad target.

Personally i have a target of 6,000 miles for the year.
    If I commute every day, and do minimum I would do about 3,500 miles.

The rest will have to be made up with extending the commute, MTB'ing and touring as well as any other training rides I do. I will of course not be cycling every day due to work and personal factors.

I think this is achievable, but is a tough ask.

So therefore a more experienced man like you should easily get 500 a month. In fact i think you should be aiming for an average of 600 a month, if not more!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I'm doing 20 miles every working day. I did just over 5,000 miles last year, so 416 miles a month. 500 a month is a pretty reasonable target.

You will have to factor in illness and freak weather conditions like last week, but then again, the summer brings those longer "commutes" home to extend your mileage...

[shameless plug]

[/shameless plug]
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • I think assuming a 25 working-day month may be your undoing. :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    I think assuming a 25 working-day month may be your undoing. :D

Whoops!

Just done the maths... it's actually 19.4!!! :shock:

52*5-27/12

weeks x days - holidays / months

I haven't accounted for Bank Holidays... how many of them are there?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I believe you get eight daarn sarf :)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Wow. that takes me down to 18.75 working days a month...

So....

18.75*20 = 375 commuting miles a month given I cycle every day for 20 miles each way

125 miles extra a month? Doable? I should think so, but is it a stretch?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Wow. that takes me down to 18.75 working days a month...

So....

18.75*20 = 375 commuting miles a month given I cycle every day for 20 miles each way

125 miles extra a month? Doable? I should think so, but is it a stretch?

No!!! up it to 600, give yourself a hard target. You wont make it in Jan/Feb/Mar or at ens of year, but should get the total up in Jun/Jul/Aug enough to make up for it.

I will target 500 a month, if you target 600. Ger on the SC Stats and lets get going!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Your making my little 160 miles a month (which I did in October, the one full cycling month I've done) look pathetic :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    -null- wrote:
    Your making my little 160 miles a month (which I did in October, the one full cycling month I've done) look pathetic :(

The commute is down from the 14 miles each way I used to do. However, I very rarely did all 5 days in week - usually 3 or 4 days. Which is 84-112 miles a week. This is why I want to make sure I do the full 5 days... this is 100 miles a week putting me right in the same mileage I was doing before.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Assume about 220 working days a year. In my mileage logging spreadsheet I have just added a cell that calculates the total mileage I could do if I cycled all those days and ticks off how many I have left each time I log a new commute ride.

For me, the total is about 2800 miles. Once I have finished fiddling with the cells, I should be able to know immediately what my maximum commute only remaining mileage is. That way, I'll always know how much I need to cycle weekends to achieve my targets (if you see what I mean.......)
    Faster than a tent.......